Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #161
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My dad had a neighbor call bylaw on him while he was legally adding an entry canopy to his home, there was no issue but my dad quickly figured out who it was and since then hes made several home improvements that piss off his neighbour and lower their property value, but always within the letter of the law, including chopping down a tree they love and storing his big ass trailer next to their property, occasionally he'll remind him that he thinks hes an #######.

Because in my dads eyes, hiding behind an authority for something petty doesnt make you less of a man, it makes you none of a man.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #162
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Yikes.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #163
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
My dad had a neighbor call bylaw on him while he was legally adding an entry canopy to his home, there was no issue but my dad quickly figured out who it was and since then hes made several home improvements that piss off his neighbour and lower their property value, but always within the letter of the law, including chopping down a tree they love and storing his big ass trailer next to their property, occasionally he'll remind him that he thinks hes an #######.

Because in my dads eyes, hiding behind an authority for something petty doesnt make you less of a man, it makes you none of a man.
You dad needs to reevaluate who the bad guy is here.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #164
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post

I think your Dad is the ####### here for being so petty. I can just imagine how that anger he had inside him consumed him as he took revenge on his neighbour. IMO it's a very sad to live a life.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:32 PM   #165
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't help thinking something is amiss when neighbors fight over a pile of winter dog sh**, and end up becoming enemies. My first move would be to do nothing, and wait to see if he cleans it up come spring. Then if things don't improve, and especially if there is a noticeable odour, I think looking the neighbor in the eye, and discussing your concern in a cool, respectful manner is the way to address the situation. informing the bylaw people should be a last resort. The above is a good example of what sort of reaction that step can generate.

I think it's important that people spend time trying to cultivate a friendly relationship with their neighbors, as soon as possible after moving in. Things like taking over a welcome present, having conversations over an adjoining fence, discussing common interests like kids, dogs, sports etc. are all things that help develop a rapport.

We have lived in our house for over 50 years, and I guess we have been lucky, as we have never had a bad neighbor.

Last edited by flamesfever; 03-03-2021 at 08:17 AM.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 AM   #166
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
... Making them go against their nature would be like training a human that having fun is a bad thing.
Well. That is not that hard really. We are all Flames fans after all.
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #167
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Dude, we get it. You hate dogs and pets in general, and can't seem to understand how other people do. I actually find it pretty disgusting how you talked about your pet cat and locked it in a garage, it almost sounds like animal abuse to be honest. It seems you have some sort of transactional expectation of an animal, and don't either have the caring in you, or are simply too callous to care about the welfare of another living thing.
lol, didn't actually do it for two reasons. The first, I didn't want the cat walking on my cars and potentially scratching them. The second, I couldn't figure out a way to lock it away when the drive door opened.

Nothing would have been cruel about having a garage cat, though. People have cats in way smaller places than my 2.5-car finished and heated garage. Look at people who live in RVs, vans, school busses, bachelor apartments, or no home at all.

But yeah, pretty much everybody who owns an animal gets something out of it. Of course it's transactional and it's beyond naïve to think otherwise. Don't you go on in the next paragraph to tell us how you get emotional support from your dog. Jamie, pull that up:

Quote:
Here's the thing, a lot of people do make amazing connections with their pets. And the transaction you typically make is to take care of the animal, not the other way around. I went through a couple extremely rough patches in life, that without my dog, I don't know if I would have made it out of. Dogs know when you are sad, they will quietly sit there free of judgement and be there for you. Just petting my dog after a brutally stressful day, lowers my heart rate.

Just because you personally don't get it, doesn't mean they need to be eradicated and made extinct like you suggested before 'dess'. You need to get off this little schtick, and realize that other people might have interests and connections with things, that don't suit your narrow minded narrative. It used to be funny, now it's just sad.
Well I'm pretty sure we all agree that Alberta eradicating the province of rats is a good thing. I don't see anybody up in arms at that. I take it one step further and want the same for dogs, except I would make allowances for working dogs and I wouldn't take anybody's pets away. I'd just mandate sterilization and prohibit the sale of any dogs from X date and beyond. That would allow the current dogs to live out their lives with their owners (aside from pitbulls - I think they should be euthanized).

Anyway, it's moot because I understand now that my idea doesn't have enough support at this time to matter. Basically, don't worry about it.

Quote:
That's more narrow minded BS.

I've resolved many disputes peacefully and without animosity by simply talking to neighbours. The one time it blew up in my face, was when I was completely wrong, which I deserved the short end on.

I've called a by law officer exactly zero times in my life, and had I about the flag, the result would have been no different. I wouldn't want to hide behind a bylaw officer in that case as it could have been 3 or 4 other people, and I wouldn't want anyone else to have any sort of animosity because of something I requested. I stand behind my convictions and will never say anything behind someone's back, or behind the veil of a peace officer, I wouldn't say to their face.
Okay, well pat yourself on the back with your fingerless gloves as much as you want, but get a few interactions under your belt with obtuse/aggressive/moronic neighbours and you may change your tact. If your neighbours are reasonable people then by all means have yourself a reasonable conversation. You should know that some neighbours are unreasonable and will get their nose out of joint for no reason. For proof of this, just look in the mirror and say, 'flags are not illegal. flags are not illegal."

And your impression of me hiding behind a peace officer is awesome. I'm not hiding. I'm getting stuff done the easiest, fastest and most effective way possible.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #168
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I can't help thinking something is amiss when neighbors fight over a pile of winter dog sh**, and end up becoming enemies. My first move would be to do nothing, and wait to see if he cleans it up come spring. Then if things don't improve, and especially if there is a noticeable odour, I think looking the neighbor in the eye, and discussing your concern in a cool, respectful manner is the way to address the situation. informing the bylaw people should be a last resort. The above is a good example of what sort of reaction that step can generate.

I think it's important that people spend time trying to cultivate a friendly relationship with their neighbors, as soon as possible after moving in. Things like taking over a welcome present, having conversations over an adjoining fence, discussing common interests like kids, dogs, sports etc. are all things that help develop a rapport.

We have lived in our house for over 50 years, and I guess we have been lucky, as we have never had a bad neighbor.
I don’t have a dog and don’t understand why people get dogs then don’t take responsibility for their actions. Why is picking up after your dog such an issue?

You bought a house for say half a million and you have turds, steps from your back door, your grass is ruined with yellow spots all over it, turd bits all over your house that got caught in your dogs paws, dog hair everywhere. Seems counter intuitive.

I don’t even buy into the “i’m waiting till spring to pick it up”. That would be like flushing your toilet when it fills to the top.

I suppose you could wait for the spring rains to wash it all away but if that’s the direction we’re heading then we may as well dump our excrements out the window like they did in the midevil days. I would think we’ve learned from that experience with diseases running rampant during that era.

Dog owners should be licensed. Really.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #169
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post

In a perfect world this is great. Tell me your next step when the neighbour just says, 'mind your fataing business' and closes the door in your face.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #170
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Well then you could go cry to by law but at least you tried to be a decent person first instead of running for help right off the bat.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #171
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sliver i don’t agree with you that all pitbulls should be euthanized. I would change it to all aggressive dogs (who don’t have licensed trained owners like the police) should be euthanized. Shouldn’t even be a discussion. If there’s any hint of dog agression to any other dog, pet or human the dog should be put down if they don’t have a licensed owner.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #172
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Well then you could go cry to by law but at least you tried to be a decent person first instead of running for help right off the bat.
How about the dog owner show decency and prohibit his dog from barking while also cleaning up the ####? The original transgression by the indecent person was allowing the dog to infringe on my right to enjoy my property peacefully and free from the smell of a thousand pieces of ####. They're the a-hole; not me.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #173
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Sliver i don’t agree with you that all pitbulls should be euthanized. I would change it to all aggressive dogs (who don’t have licensed trained owners like the police) should be euthanized. Shouldn’t even be a discussion. If there’s any hint of dog agression to any other dog, pet or human the dog should be put down if they don’t have a licensed owner.
Good point. I'd definitely be open to casting a wider net.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #174
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
In a perfect world this is great. Tell me your next step when the neighbour just says, 'mind your fataing business' and closes the door in your face.
Wind Chimes

/thread
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #175
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread has me heading into the backyard this afternoon.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #176
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I think your Dad is the ####### here for being so petty. I can just imagine how that anger he had inside him onsumed him as he took revenge on his neighbour. IMO it's a very sad to live a life.
lol, he never went out of his way to inconvenience them, he just did what he wanted with no regard if they liked it. They set the tone of their relationship by trying to hit him with a big ass fine, he owes them nothing. He's a very content man who goes out of his way to avoid conflict, but he's not going to suffer a little bitch of a neighbour (who is a healthy grown man).

Last edited by Matata; 03-03-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #177
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
But you don’t own a dog, so who would you let have the day in what ‘aggressive’ behaviour is? Would you be the one who sees a dog snarl at another and report it as aggressive behaviour?

Yes, aggressive dogs should be dealt with. Euthanizing an animal because a hint of aggression? In whose eyes? What, so Sliver can claim his neighbours dog was acting aggressive to him and bylaw comes out and puts the animal down?
Old 03-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #178
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

When you read so many conflicts between neighbours online it always makes me so happy that I've always had great neighbours, where the relationship is always friendly and normal. Especially being a laid back, friendly person, I just despise conflict and negative feelings towards others and certainly don't want that right outside my house.

Even if you don't see them a lot, it means a lot for my well being to just walk outside, see them and go "oh hey! how's it going!" with a smile and good feelings, rather than a darker or non existent transaction. Our society is getting cold enough between strangers, it's at least nice to like your neighbours.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #179
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Everyone I deal with in real life is reasonable, friendly and kind, I have to go online to find people to get mad at me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #180
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
But you don’t own a dog, so who would you let have the day in what ‘aggressive’ behaviour is? Would you be the one who sees a dog snarl at another and report it as aggressive behaviour?

Yes, aggressive dogs should be dealt with. Euthanizing an animal because a hint of aggression? In whose eyes? What, so Sliver can claim his neighbours dog was acting aggressive to him and bylaw comes out and puts the animal down?
Then if you’re concerned the bar might be too low then it would be best to go through the licensing process. Your dog wouldn’t be put down then.