Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #41
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Great thread. We have a 6 month old puppy. Just a little guy. When it is freezing cold outside, he goes on this cool astro turf thing that we bought on Amazon. We keep it on the deck and clean up his mess immediately. Dog crap has never touched my backyard...yet.

When it is nice out, we take him for a walk. Our kids have been trained to pick up his #### no matter what. When my son admitted one day that he didn't pick it up we drove him back to the spot and he cleaned it up.

There is a special place in hell for dog owners that don't clean up after their animal.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #42
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dog parks are so horrific for pickup. If the bylaw cops ever want to rake in a ton of cash just send some undercover plainclothes into Sue Higgins and they'll come back halfway to repaying the city's debt with the tickets they could hand out. It mostly sucks for the young pups who are more prone to eating poo, unless the dog ####s literally right on or just off path so many owners just leave it.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #43
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Also, on the neighbour thing, I'm dealing with that right now. Our kitchen window looks out on the neighbours backyard. It is literally a #### show right now. Bugs the hell out of me. We are friendly so I'll probably say something in a joking manner and hope that they get the hint.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #44
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah I don't give one single fata about making them uncomfortable in this situation. I'm more concerned about making myself uncomfortable. Plus, dog people never think their dog is doing anything that bad and they think you getting upset about crap on "their property" is none of your concern. You have to worry about revenge from them. You've called them out for being a slob, they'll naturally want to call you out on anything you do to show that you're not so great either - and they'll do it whether it's warranted or not. Just no point in getting into it.

But yeah, with persistence, Bylaw - at least from my experience - will come out and will eventually clean up the #### and bill them.

And kind of on topic, if you have a neighbour that lets their dog bark outside (that's illegal - even one bark is illegal!) keep a log of date and times of barking. When you call bylaw, let them know you're concerned about the animal's welfare because they're left outside and seem to be in distress. Don't pose it as you're annoyed by the barking because if you get a dog-lover fur-baby-type call centre agent, you've already lost the battle. It needs to be positioned as you're a caring neighbour really worried about this poor neglected doggo and are hoping somebody can come check things out. Give them the dates and times of the barking (needs to be a 30-day log) and you'll see some corrective action.

Reference: Bylaws related to dogs
"As a dog owner, you must ensure your dog does not: Bark, howl or disturb anyone"
I’m fascinated by your expertise in this area. Thanks for the advice. Really.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #45
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I’m fascinated by your expertise in this area. Thanks for the advice. Really.
If there's one thing that Sliver has proven himself a master of, it's complaining to Bylaw about dogs.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #46
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And kind of on topic, if you have a neighbour that lets their dog bark outside (that's illegal - even one bark is illegal!) keep a log of date and times of barking. When you call bylaw, let them know you're concerned about the animal's welfare because they're left outside and seem to be in distress. Don't pose it as you're annoyed by the barking because if you get a dog-lover fur-baby-type call centre agent, you've already lost the battle. It needs to be positioned as you're a caring neighbour really worried about this poor neglected doggo and are hoping somebody can come check things out. Give them the dates and times of the barking (needs to be a 30-day log) and you'll see some corrective action.

Reference: Bylaws related to dogs
"As a dog owner, you must ensure your dog does not: Bark, howl or disturb anyone"
I get that this is your schtick but this right here is some elite level Karen mentality. Keep up the good work.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #47
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary’s bylaws related to dogs.

Under our Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw:

-All dogs must have and wear a City of Calgary licence as soon as they reach three months of age.
-All dogs must be on-leash at all times, unless posted signs indicate otherwise, or on property where the owner of the dog has the right of occupation.
-Dogs may not be left unattended while tethered.
-Dogs may only be transported in the back of a truck if the dog is in a fully enclosed trailer, a truck bed covered with a topper, contained in a ventilated kennel that is secured to the truck bed, or securely tethered and not standing on bare metal.
-Dog owners must ensure that they bring along a suitable means to pick up feces.
-Dog owners must pick up all feces produces by their dog both on and off their property.
-Dogs must be under control in designated off-leash areas. This means they must be in sight of their owners and respond to sight or sound commands.
-As a dog owner, you must ensure your dog does not:

Bite anyone
Injure anyone
Chase, threaten or attack a person or animal
Bark, howl or disturb anyone
Cause damage to property or animals
Scatter garbage
Dogs are not allowed in:

School grounds
Playgrounds
Sports fields
Golf courses
Cemeteries
Wading or swimming areas
While on a pathway, your dog must:

Be on a leash no longer than two metres
Remain on the right hand side of the pathway
Not interfere with or obstruct other users
You may not cycle, skateboard or in-line skate with a dog on a leash while on a pathway.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #48
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
And bad feces make for bad neighbors!
Is there good feces?

We don’t have a dog anymore but when we did our neighbour mentioned the smell coming from our side yard from dog crap from over the winter. I cleaned it up; it’s that easy.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #49
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do know, don't you, that this doesn't fool us (or Bylaw) and that we know you are being a Karen about it, right?

It MIGHT fool someone for their first call or two about it. But after that, we know. We know...
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #50
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I get that this is your schtick but this right here is some elite level Karen mentality. Keep up the good work.
STFU. I don't have a schtick and it drives me nuts how you beat this drum anytime I say anything about dogs.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #51
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
You do know, don't you, that this doesn't fool us (or Bylaw) and that we know you are being a Karen about it, right?

It MIGHT fool someone for their first call or two about it. But after that, we know. We know...
Yes, but I also am not going to give them the out to disregard my call by explicitly telling them my issue is more about my inability to enjoy my property because I know they won't care. I'm going to be careful about my wording - it's harder to ignore a call expressing concern for the welfare of an animal versus ignoring a call because I'm bothered by the barking or ####.

Also, I am totally bothered by the fact that bylaw is so hesitant to enforce bylaws. It take persistence to get them to do anything and that's beyond pathetic. It's just a lazy branch of government. I shouldn't have to keep a log or have to call repeatedly about issues like this. Just enforce the bylaws. That's all I expect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #52
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
STFU. I don't have a schtick and it drives me nuts how you beat this drum anytime I say anything about dogs.
Don’t get so riled up about it. Part and parcel for the role, sorry. Have you had any success with tracking your neighbour’s dog and its barking?
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #53
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
The “spring thaw” is the worst part of dog ownership so you really have to keep on top of it over the winter. Sub zero temps are your friend when it comes to quick dog pickle clean up. We have a dog run and I get out there weekly at a minimum and ideally before any snow so you don’t have layers in the ice during the thaw.

Best method I’ve found is a garden rake and litter box scoop. Frozen pickles pop out of the snow very cleanly with a rake, then the litter scoop sifts out the bit of snow before bagging. Literally 5 mins a couple times a week.

I can’t imagine the spring horror if I left them all winter. Plus your dogs are walking in that, and come the spring thaw, that’s coming into your house on their paws.
Disgusting. That would make me want to throw out my socks if i ever visited a house with dog turds in the yard.
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #54
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Neighbour kids screaming bloody murder, leaving their toys and #### all over the sidewalk and Boulevard? Okay.
Neighbour dog barks? Oh fuuucccckkkkk no.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #55
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but I also am not going to give them the out to disregard my call by explicitly telling them my issue is more about my inability to enjoy my property because I know they won't care. I'm going to be careful about my wording - it's harder to ignore a call expressing concern for the welfare of an animal versus ignoring a call because I'm bothered by the barking or ####.
You want to be the Karen who called wolf, then. Got it.

Quote:
Also, I am totally bothered by the fact that bylaw is so hesitant to enforce bylaws. It take persistence to get them to do anything and that's beyond pathetic. It's just a lazy branch of government. I shouldn't have to keep a log or have to call repeatedly about issues like this. Just enforce the bylaws. That's all I expect.
Severely understaffed, they have to prioritize their call load. Also, people keep calling them and lying/exaggerating/misrepresenting the actual problem(s), which can cause deployment/investigation issues...
Old 03-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I try and make it easy by making my dog crap in my neighbour's yard.

I dont have to pick it up and they speak very little English so I just mime 'I dont understand' when they're yelling at me.

Win/Win.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #57
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Neighbour kids screaming bloody murder, leaving their toys and #### all over the sidewalk and Boulevard? Okay.
Neighbour dog barks? Oh ########### no.
If this thread has taught me anything you should probably call child services and tell them you’re worried about the children’s welfare in that situation. Sometimes you have to bend the truth to get what you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #58
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
You want to be the Karen who called wolf, then. Got it.

Severely understaffed, they have to prioritize their call load. Also, people keep calling them and lying/exaggerating/misrepresenting the actual problem(s), which can cause deployment/investigation issues...
BTW, this is a pretty poor attitude. I'm not a "Karen" for expecting laws to be upheld. Entitled is thinking your dog can bark and ####, thus disturbing people, free of consequence. There's nothing entitled about expecting bylaw to enforce bylaws. Lack of staffing doesn't make me a Karen. What's the point of the public being able to call bylaw with legitimate problems if the call centre agents just roll their eyes at our expectation that they'll assist? I don't understand your perspective here.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #59
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Neighbour dog barks? Oh fuuucccckkkkk no.
Because people will go to work and their dog will bark all day everyday. If a kid was crying bloody murder at 10pm at night everytime it saw another dog walk by i’m sure people would have an issue with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #60
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If there's one thing that Sliver has proven himself a master of, it's complaining to Bylaw about dogs.
He’d make a great bylaw officer for dog complaints.