Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2021, 12:45 AM   #641
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Said this before but I don't know how you let Treliving hire another HC at this point, his choices have been awful. Even if you like the other things he has done in the past seven years, getting the next HC right should alone be the reason to move on from him.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:03 AM   #642
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To be polite, Treliving is a dumbass
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:44 AM   #643
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If someone told you the day Treliving was hired that 7 years later the team would have a single playoff series win to show for a 2/3 decade tenure how many of you would call that a disastrous hire? Probably all of you. Well that's where we are today and it doesn't help that lone playoff series win was with Feaster's team and head coach.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #644
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad Treliving is to hockey management as Boston Pizza is to fine dining.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #645
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally there is a gm out there that flames owners could hire now. I have no idea if there is? If there is , you bring him now so he can evaluate for rest of season and make changes in off season. The problem with firing Tre in off season and grabbing new gm , is normally they want time to evaluate on ice product before making trades. This team core and coach needs to be changed .I’m a supporter of Brad but his time has come.
kyuss275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:08 AM   #646
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If someone told you the day Treliving was hired that 7 years later the team would have a single playoff series win to show for a 2/3 decade tenure how many of you would call that a disastrous hire? Probably all of you. Well that's where we are today and it doesn't help that lone playoff series win was with Feaster's team and head coach.
Yeah. His results have been incredibly inadequate to this point, and there's really no reason he should retain the position since he's had long enough to show his capability. It's great he's good at signing favorable deals most of the time and did good with the Hamilton/Lindholm trade, but he's too happy to give up draft capital in this cap world, and the prospect base is weak because of it. And of course, no playoff success outside of the one where he inherited the team rather than did anything to it. Plus wasting prime years in the core's window by not having a reliable starting goalie.

The team is now regressing rather than getting better, despite having a strong roster. If he bought in a coach, that could reverse that trajectory, but arguably he shouldn't be the one to do that with his dismal coaching hire record.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #647
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Earlier in the year there were rumours of Doug Wilson being on the hot seat. Maybe wait until seasons end to see if he’s available.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:22 AM   #648
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing, 7 years in, 1 series win, and arguably the worst core in all of Canada, and likely one of the weakest prospect pools as well.

It's shameful to not have one or the other.

Yet folks have been singing his praises, even entering this season. He's useless. No strategy, no vision, nadda.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #649
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
It's amazing, 7 years in, 1 series win, and arguably the worst core in all of Canada, and likely one of the weakest prospect pools as well.

It's shameful to not have one or the other.

Yet folks have been singing his praises, even entering this season. He's useless. No strategy, no vision, nadda.
Pretty much this. He talked about building a larger team that's tough to play against. Meanwhile he kept going after guys like Foo, Czarnik, Ryan and whiffing on guys like Kane, ROR, PLD, Anderson, Stone, Toffoli and on and on.

Too afraid to make a meaningful change.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #650
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Pretty much this. He talked about building a larger team that's tough to play against. Meanwhile he kept going after guys like Foo, Czarnik, Ryan and whiffing on guys like Kane, ROR, PLD, Anderson, Stone, Toffoli and on and on.

At this point, screw size. I want a gm to build around speed.

It's way easier to sprinkle in toughness/physicality around a speed/skill based roster vs the other way around.

Treliving looks like a ea sports nhl game gm, just looking at overall rather than having a team building strategy around an identity....
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #651
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
At this point, screw size. I want a gm to build around speed.

It's way easier to sprinkle in toughness/physicality around a speed/skill based roster vs the other way around.

Treliving looks like a ea sports nhl game gm, just looking at overall rather than having a team building strategy around an identity....
Yup, a guy with no plan built a team with no identity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #652
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I gotta step in here. Treliving has never been afraid of meaningful change. He’s made some ballsy big name moves over the years. Where I haven’t been happy about his moves are twofold: final touch signings (Brouwer, Neal), and flavour of the month chasing. It certainly seems from my standpoint that he’s overpaid to acquire the big name and say he won the match. Both of the above it’s bothered me. Guys like Zucker and Hamonic, are not guys you pay top dollar for to stroke your ego and show off you got the media big fish. Those types of moves probably detracted him from building an identity for the team. But anyway, it is what it is and the prospect pool isn’t that high as many other teams. Average GM at best.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:07 AM   #653
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

End of the day Treliving decided that giving this core another run was better than the other options that were available to him. Making that decision and sticking with a mediocre first time NHL head coach has this team in the midst of a brutal season.

I have supported Treliving but based on the decisions he made this past offseason and the performance to date it is tough to say he deserves to stay.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #654
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Treliving has had his time. Barring a playoff miracle (IF we even make the playoffs) and actually winning a round or two in arguably the weakest division in hockey, Treliving needs to go. Unfortunately, I don’t think he is the first to go. I think the core will be revamped/retooled in the offseason, and Treliving/Ward get one more season. I don’t want that to happen but that’s what I predict.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #655
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It seems like everyone BUT management was aware that sweeping changes were needed, especially to this core. We just missed out on the perfect window to recoup assets in a deep 2020 draft and a season without fans. Can anyone say this team would be worse if we had moved Gaudreau or Monahan for a top prospect and a pick this past off season? The apathy from the core players on this team had made this a tough season to watch. I could handle a losing season if they were playing with a little passion
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #656
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I gotta step in here. Treliving has never been afraid of meaningful change. He’s made some ballsy big name moves over the years. Where I haven’t been happy about his moves are twofold: final touch signings (Brouwer, Neal), and flavour of the month chasing. It certainly seems from my standpoint that he’s overpaid to acquire the big name and say he won the match. Both of the above it’s bothered me. Guys like Zucker and Hamonic, are not guys you pay top dollar for to stroke your ego and show off you got the media big fish. But anyway, it is what it is and the prospect pool isn’t that high as many other teams. Average GM at best.
He hasn't made a meaningful move at forward, he did get Hamilton and then Hanifin/Lids. But these guys are not top players ,they are just average. Neal and Brouwer were not top players either.
We knew after the Colorado series that this top line needed to be changed. 2 offseasons later it's still the same.
But more to the point, he was in on these big name players, some that would help this team immensely, but delivered on 0.

His biggest move is Markstom. But that's after a few failed attempts to bring a starting G. Now we will have a top G on a rebuilding team. Makes no sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #657
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He hasn't made a meaningful move at forward, he did get Hamilton and then Hanifin/Lids. But these guys are not top players ,they are just average. Neal and Brouwer were not top players either.
We knew after the Colorado series that this top line needed to be changed. 2 offseasons later it's still the same.
But more to the point, he was in on these big name players, some that would help this team immensely, but delivered on 0.

His biggest move is Markstom. But that's after a few failed attempts to bring a starting G. Now we will have a top G on a rebuilding team. Makes no sense.
Agree almost completely. After last seasons rubbing out and the previous seasons loss to Colorado, it was clear bigger, faster players were needed. He’s epically failed in that regard to not realize that, or surround himself with people who would advise him of that. I don’t know why they’d go with their current core where Gaudreau and Monahan specifically are perfect second line players in creating their own space and finishing).

Nobody probably predicted this type of season though, and the light at the end of the tunnel is a good goaltender. In a rebuilding team the tradition of building from the goaltender out is probably still a good idea.

I also believe Burke had a part in this. He was at the time with the Leafs, for pushing the rebuild to be faster at the time. Having that character as your President means he was likely encouraged from going full rebuild but that was about three seasons back, and is mostly a side note. This team has no choice now because the high end skill is bare. Perhaps Hall can be had cheaper this off season but I don’t think he’ll come cheap to replace the guys (Gaudreau and Monahan) going out the door.

It’s really interesting how this board has changed opinion from a month ago. I preached this wasn’t a good team and guys like Backlund were overpaid. The past month has shown this team needs a strip down.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #658
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Agree almost completely. After last seasons rubbing out and the previous seasons loss to Colorado, it was clear bigger, faster players were needed. He’s epically failed in that regard to not realize that, or surround himself with people who would advise him of that. I don’t know why they’d go with their current core where Gaudreau and Monahan specifically are perfect second line players in creating their own space and finishing).

Nobody probably predicted this type of season though, and the light at the end of the tunnel is a good goaltender. In a rebuilding team the tradition of building from the goaltender out is probably still a good idea.

I also believe Burke had a part in this. He was at the time with the Leafs, for pushing the rebuild to be faster at the time. Having that character as your President means he was likely encouraged from going full rebuild but that was about three seasons back, and is mostly a side note. This team has no choice now because the high end skill is bare. Perhaps Hall can be had cheaper this off season but I don’t think he’ll come cheap to replace the guys (Gaudreau and Monahan) going out the door.

It’s really interesting how this board has changed opinion from a month ago. I preached this wasn’t a good team and guys like Backlund were overpaid. The past month has shown this team needs a strip down.
Ya, some guys on here spend just about every waking hour defending players and coaches/GM so it's hard for them to admit to being mistaken. I have seen a shift though, some of the "always sunny here" posters are coming out with sharp criticism. It's probably because as you said, noone saw THIS. This team was supposed to be battling with the Leafs for top place. They look worse than Ottawa, except for Markstrom's steals. It's indefensible at this point.

The expansion draft protection list probably looks a lot different that it did a month ago for all of us.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #659
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At a time the Flames badly needed a top 6 RW his big trade is to give up a 1st and two 2nd round picks for Hamonic whose stock dropped so much that he's making league minimum today. Brad Treliving everyone.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #660
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So who's call is it with respect to Treliving's job?

Is it ownership? Is it Maloney?

With King and Burke gone, where exactly are we these days?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: