Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #4661
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we going to have to 'Defund the Military?'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #4662
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought that was always the policy. The Liberals released their position paper with all of their funding ideas. I don't think it got very far. The only time we spend real money on the Military is on cost over runs.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #4663
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

More info on the Art McDonald allegations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mcd...tion-1.5927517

Quote:
Admiral Art McDonald abruptly stepped aside late Wednesday night as Canada's top military commander after questions were posed to the Department of National Defence about a sexual misconduct investigation into allegations against him.
Those allegations, CBC News has learned, involve a female crew member and an incident a decade ago aboard a warship that was participating in a northern exercise.

Quote:
However, sources with knowledge of the investigation spoke to CBC News and say the allegation of misconduct dates back to 2010 and involves an incident aboard HMCS Montreal, which at the time was involved in the military's annual Arctic exercise known as Operation Nanook.
The allegation against McDonald, who was a naval captain at the time, involves a female junior officer and took place during a party that involved alcohol.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Old 02-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #4664
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Are we going to have to 'Defund the Military?'
I think we pretty much have since the early 1970's.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #4665
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1865871939802

Pretty damning interview of Trudeau by Celina Caesar-Chavannes and her opening up on what happened for her to resign during the Jody Wilson-Raybould situation.

Some very choice strong words for Trudeau. Good interview by the CBC (give credit where its due).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1103680760337260545

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...ucus-1.5064544
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #4666
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1865871939802

Pretty damning interview of Trudeau by Celina Caesar-Chavannes and her opening up on what happened for her to resign during the Jody Wilson-Raybould situation.

Some very choice strong words for Trudeau. Good interview by the CBC (give credit where its due).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1103680760337260545

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...ucus-1.5064544
yeah. I think we talked about this a couple of weeks ago already.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #4667
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah ok I missed it and only saw the recent interview.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #4668
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was on The National last night so I think it's fair game to bring up. I missed the previous discussion as well.

I thought it was pretty damning and frankly appalling that she was invited to all those international events as token black representation without having the opportunity to participate in any of the actual work.

Her comments to Trudeau when she gave notice and he took it poorly, and Andrew's reaction to her reaction was kind of hilarious to be honest. I didn't know you could say mother####er on air like that!

Spoiler!

Last edited by Flames0910; 02-25-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Flames0910 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #4669
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I think we pretty much have since the early 1970's.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #4670
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
At this point I will literally settle for voting in someone who comes across as an adult that is acting like they understand what it means to lead the country.

Who the #### are these clowns?

(I'm also embarrassed because I went to bat for O'Toole when he won the nomination and he's shown himself to be exactly like everyone else).

You're not 12, you're not PepsiFree snarking it up on the internet, you're not some zany Gen Z running the twitter account of Wendys. Act like someone who deserves the top job already, christ!
The Tool was never the answer. Trudeau is going to be running this country for the next 14 years because the Cons are a gong show with even more useless members. and the NDP will be bankrupted after the next election.

Seriously, only Obi-Wan Nenshi can save us.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #4671
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ag release report on clean drinking water.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/unti...r-ag-1.5324322

Quote:
OTTAWA -- Until the federal government addresses several underlying deficiencies with the water systems and implements regulatory standards, First Nations communities in Canada will continue to not have reliable access to clean drinking water, according to the auditor general.
In a new report issued Thursday, auditor general Karen Hogan found that Indigenous Services Canada “did not provide adequate support to First Nations communities,” to ensure they have access to safe drinking water.

Quote:
The audit covered the period between November 2015 and November 2020. In December 2020, the federal Liberal government admitted that its promise to lift all outstanding water advisories would be broken, with “at least” 22 existing drinking water advisories set to remain in effect past the promised deadline. Hogan told reporters Thursday that during their work, it became clear the Liberal promise would not be kept.

Quote:
he government is no longer offering a concrete end date as to when all the outstanding advisories will be resolved, though the audit suggested that it may be years still before long-term water improvements are in place in some communities. “While there are some plans in place or under development, those solutions won't be in place until at least 2025, that's a very long time for a community to go without safe drinking water,” said Hogan.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #4672
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad for the First Nation people but Justin and the Liberals will do and say anything to get and stay into power. All that diversity and taking care of First Nation stuff was window dressing to get in power. I said this all before he got in power that they would go back on promises and run a corrupt government. This is the Liberal playbook.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #4673
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Ag release report on clean drinking water.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/unti...r-ag-1.5324322
Thanks for posting this, I continue to be dumbfounded that they can't solve this problem. My engineer brain has a million ideas as to how to get something done for these folks, but I must be missing something massive given that it hasn't been done already. It's just all so exasperating.

I'll read the report and try to learn some more.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #4674
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The report feels pretty damning with a ton of problems, from commitment to funds, to the regulations in place, to vendor deals.

the bottom line is its not getting done, and the promise to deal with this as a priority is not happening. The excuse that the government made that Covid slowed this down doesn't fly in the report as there was serious inaction before the report.

These people have an absolute right to consistent and safe water supplies, its a blight on all governments that its not getting done.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #4675
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/20.../#.YDlEktxlDTe

Quote:
OTTAWA — The federal government ran a deficit of $248.2 billion through the first nine months of its 2020-21 fiscal year as spending soared due to the pandemic.
The result for the April-to-December period compared with a deficit of $11 billion in the same period a year earlier.
The government says in its fiscal monitor that the unprecedented shift in the government’s financial results reflects the severe deterioration in the economy and the government’s response plan to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Revenue was $207.7 billion for the April-to-December period, down from $246 billion, as tax and other revenue fell.
Meanwhile, program spending, excluding net actuarial losses, rose to $428.9 billion from $230.5 billion in the same period a year earlier, due in large part to the many programs established to help people and businesses during the pandemic.
Public debt charges fell to $15.4 billion compared with $18.4 billion a year earlier, while net actuarial losses increased to $11.5 billion from $8.1 billion.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #4676
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Testimony from todays ethic committee interview with Reed Cowan who was on the advisory committee for We.

Just a sleezy fund raising group.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365381154854096899

To summarize, he donated a bunch of money to build a school in his dead sons name. Then WE kept raising money for the school and just changing the plague to the name of the next donor.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #4677
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

video testimony

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365406036933419014
Old 02-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #4678
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Testimony from todays ethic committee interview with Reed Cowan who was on the advisory committee for We.

Just a sleezy fund raising group.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365381154854096899

To summarize, he donated a bunch of money to build a school in his dead sons name. Then WE kept raising money for the school and just changing the plague to the name of the next donor.
Dude....they were (ostensibly) building schools in Africa....phrasing....

Old 02-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #4679
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

d'oh
Old 02-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #4680
Monahammer
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So ridiculously scummy. Where did all the extra money go! Not only are you essentially robbing poor african folk of educational opportunities, but you're also robbing grieving parents and other charitable organizations who are trying to do good? These guys should be roasted american style.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote