Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 01:49 PM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sorry to hear that. Its tough, and 200 or 300 dollars is a tough pill to swallow when things are tight.

It is a legit traffic stop, and I'm sure the police are seeing all kinds of pressure to increase their ticket revenue right now. Not the right reason, I know, but these cops are told to execute policy and not make it.

Showing up in court might be a futile effort, but maybe you can go to court to negotiate the fine down, I don't know if they have that latitude anymore but they used to if you can explain your situation.

Its good the cop walked away and showed professionalism, I'm sure their jobs even in the simplest things like traffic stops are not easy, this city at times feels like an emotional powder keg, and every one I talk to has a story about where they've snapped in their day to day life, or gotten emotional over things that they normally wouldn't get emotional about.

I hope things work out for you.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #42
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
The public should be aware that police constables in Calgary DO have quotas. They call giving someone a ticket "boning" them. There are a bunch of fishing holes in Calgary that they hang out at towards the end of the month to pull people over, it is a total cash cow and I'd love to see this information made public.
Who cares? Don't break the law, and the police can't use you to fill a ticket quota. Pretty simple.

Doesn't stop me or anyone else from breaking traffic laws. But honestly, I do not care if they hang out and give out tickets. That is literally part of the job "we" (loosely) pay them to do. Have at it officers, fish away.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #43
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Who cares? Don't break the law, and the police can't use you to fill a ticket quota. Pretty simple.

Doesn't stop me or anyone else from breaking traffic laws. But honestly, I do not care if they hang out and give out tickets. That is literally part of the job "we" (loosely) pay them to do. Have at it officers, fish away.
No kidding. People love to use the quota line, but I’m sorry folks, quotas don’t mean they get to make #### up.

And if they do, lawyer up and fight it. Don’t say anything you don’t have to to a cop - they write it all down.

In general, don’t talk to the police. Their job and what you think their job is are not the same.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #44
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
I also said '#### you' to him as he walked away. He stopped, and I said 'yeah, you heard me' then I gave him the finger.
Wow, very not cool to tell the officer off when he was just doing his job.

I saw the later posts where you are attempting to contact the officer to apologize. Good on you. You're not the bad egg I thought you were from the initial post.

Last edited by Reaper; 02-25-2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Later posts allowed for a different opinion.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #45
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I've decided to not fight it and own up to my mistake/ignorance. Now that I've calmed down tho I do feel bad and embarrassed about my actions and would like to apologize.
I would still dispute it, or make up an excuse (like snow covering the yellow line). You won't necessarily have to go to court. When I disputed mine, the person at the counter just discounted it and made it so no points would come off. Like no questions asked.

I think sometimes they think it's just not worth their time to have it in court, so they offer a deal.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #46
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Wow, very not cool to tell the officer off when he was just doing his job.

I saw the later posts where you are attempting to contact the officer to apologize. Good on you. You're not the bad egg I thought you were from the initial post.
Very not cool. I just sent my apology email as well as made a small donation to the Calgary Police Foundation as a small act similar to buying someone a beer to make amends. I am human, therefore flawed. I appreciate the perspective from those who commented on this thread. I will be paying the ticket without contesting and learning from it.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You seem like a good person that hit a crappy situation. Good on you for making amends. I would still see if you can negotiate the fine down.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #48
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Very not cool. I just sent my apology email as well as made a small donation to the Calgary Police Foundation as a small act similar to buying someone a beer to make amends. I am human, therefore flawed. I appreciate the perspective from those who commented on this thread. I will be paying the ticket without contesting and learning from it.
I'm sorry I initially wished for you to forget about the payment date to get the late fee and the victim services fee on top of it. Now I'm starting to feel guilty about it...
Old 02-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good job man. I would thank your post but I can’t. I guess I’m out of thanks for today. There’s that feeling of rage and anger that immediately hits you when without warning you realize a minor traffic transgression is going to hit you hard in the wallet but in my experience holding it together and being cordial with the officer is always the path of least resistance.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #50
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I'm sorry I initially wished for you to forget about the payment date to get the late fee and the victim services fee on top of it. Now I'm starting to feel guilty about it...
Emotional responses...
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #51
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This might be a great opportunity to discuss anger management techniques and strategies.

What should one do when things get hot and control is fading fast?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #52
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
This might be a great opportunity to discuss anger management techniques and strategies.

What should one do when things get hot and control is fading fast?

I don’t know that one reaction to an emotional event necessarily suggests he has anger management issues.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #53
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one of those 'spirit of the law' versus 'letter of the law' incidents. I am usually on the 'spirit of the law' side.

If the circumstances are as you described it (quiet and barely anyone around), then I would want you to get pulled over, have the officer explain why what you did was illegal, and give you a warning instead of a ticket so that you don't make the same mistake again when it might actually matter.

If it was busy as hell and you pulled that, then yeah, your driving created a potentially dangerous situation, and you should have received a ticket.

Swearing at him after was just bad form.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #54
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I don’t know that one reaction to an emotional event necessarily suggests he has anger management issues.
I meant just in general, not specifically op. This can happen to anyone, not just those with anger management problems. Anger management is probably a good tool for everyone to have, right? Why not discuss?

Maybe the next guy having a stressful day and tempted to mouth off a cop for a traffic ticket happens to remember something he read here and keeps his cool. Or maybe not but this time the officer is also having a stressful day.

The Following User Says Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #55
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP is awesome for this. I mean it sounds incredibly innocuous, and surely a quick chat could’ve sufficed. But in this thread we get everything from “it’s the law and if you don’t like it, don’t break the law” to “maybe you should look into anger management”. It’s hilarious, really. Everyone’s on their high horse right away.

And whoever was hoping for the extra fees, my wife has that handled. She gets tickets and forgets about them, so we get to pay those extras as well!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #56
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
CP is awesome for this. I mean it sounds incredibly innocuous, and surely a quick chat could’ve sufficed. But in this thread we get everything from “it’s the law and if you don’t like it, don’t break the law” to “maybe you should look into anger management”. It’s hilarious, really. Everyone’s on their high horse right away.

And whoever was hoping for the extra fees, my wife has that handled. She gets tickets and forgets about them, so we get to pay those extras as well!
I dunno, I don't think I said "maybe you need anger management", that's a bit of a stretch and certainly not the intention. I guess I just see an honest and regrettable mistake (fully owned up to) as a learning opportunity for lots of people. He'll, I'd love to know what I could do to help myself if I'm having a s*** day and about to lay into a cop for pulling me over.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:16 PM   #57
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Completely. No argument. A bad day got worse and I couldn't keep my cool. I'm looking into what could have happened after that now and I guess I'll consider my luck changed at that moment and my day got better.
It likely won’t help with the ticket but it might help with your karma or whatever if you called up the police and tell whoever to pass on a message to officer x who gave you the ticket that you’re sorry for being a jerk to him as you were just having a bad day.

He’s likely got a thick skin but it still helps. Cops get a bad rap for so many legit things.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

And then some weirdo drops in the thread, reacts to a handful of posts and says “everyone is doing this thing I’m reacting to!”

Claaaaassic CP.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #59
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you go to a courthouse to fight the ticket, you'll probably at least get a pity reduction, just explain that you think the ticket is too expensive for someone in your situation and that you think the officer was egregious in how they decided to enforce the law. Could save you 50% if not thrown out.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #60
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I recall single solid line and you can cross if you are not obstructing traffic, double is never crossable, so you are pretty much hooped
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote