Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #141
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Blackbird is my go to, literally stumbling distance.

But neighbours share, right?
We can share. I cant afford to get stumbly at Chairmans every time I go out.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #142
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Victoria proper is great. Downtown, Fairfield, Fernwood, James Bay, and Cook Street Village are all cool places to live. Vic West and Esquimalt or slowly getting better. The Saanich communities are generally nice, but boring. Westshore communities are brutal.

That said, they've pretty much completed the overpass at the McKenzie interchange, so the commute out to Langford isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.
Dude, I think Victoria proper is a big boring pit of crumbling buildings. The NIMBYs there are particularly bad and you get out far enough out from Victoria, you get to see what real rednecks are like.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #143
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Great point on the "life comes in stages." My partner and I are both at the point where we want a family and somewhere comfortable to live. I probably won't ever get to the Kirkland Dad look, but believe me, I'm very adventure dad already and there is nothing wrong with a Cactus Club.
No one thinks they will become Kirkland dad but we all do
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #144
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Blackbird is my go to, literally stumbling distance.

But neighbours share, right?
Blackbird is a mighty fine establishment; I'm there many times per week. Guaranteed you and I have been face down in there at the same time if you live nearby.

I moved to Fernie, but I also have a condo in Seton. I spend 2-3 nights a week in the city, then whip back to Fernie to spend 4 days with the family doing all the fun.

Seton is great; there is a TON of new stuff there. Plus it's easy access to the ring road if you want to go West, or hiway 2 heading south. The Y is there, Chairmans steakhouse, Bow river flyfishing, lots of pubs, cool lakes, and it's close to some great golf courses (I'm a member at Cottonwood). I've lived all over Calgary and Okotoks, and prefer Seton over anywhere else.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #145
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A+ OP, made me laugh.

Vancouver is No Good. However, if I could afford to live there comfortably right now, I probably would. That is solely due to the ocean.

Calgary is devoid of character right now. The only things thriving are the grocery and home supplies stores. People are largely focused on getting by. Now people are heading west to the mountains for variety and fun instead of downtown as that is what is safest and allowed. Really hard to judge or gauge the city in pandemic times, but it will take time to regain traction in terms of atmosphere, fun and variety around the core when we come out the other side. I would like to believe that in 5 years things will be much better and vibrant around these parts. Hopefully better than it ever was with new businesses and a new event center.

Last edited by djsFlames; 02-24-2021 at 02:24 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #146
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your description of Vancouver, other than the weather, reminded me of living in Sydney. It’s a gorgeous pacific harbour city that’s great for a visit but is over priced, over crowded, and over developed, making it barely liveable especially after having children.

My wife and I are much happier after moving back to Brisbane, a smaller city with more in common to Calgary than Vancouver, while still on the same pay. If you have this opportunity to move to Calgary go for it!
Old 02-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #147
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't picking a city to live in like the old Asian Buffet meme?

Affordability. Livability. Glamour.

Now pick two.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 02-24-2021 at 02:35 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #148
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow... 8 pages already on a thread that started today. Now THAT's engagement!

OK so a kid radically changes your life. Up to you to figure out if it's better or not worth it, who are we to say? Kids definitely brought a lot of satisfaction and joy to my life, however are a lot of work. How busy you/they are with their activities is the ADULTS choice. You don't "have" to have little johnny in every frickin' expensive activity. Our rule was... max TWO nights a week for kids stuff, combined. That lets the kids be kids, and adults do adult things, and still have family time, and not blow your budget.
Next... kids... your partner likely won't be working much once the kid is almost here and until at least end of first year. If #2+ comes along even less chance of them working based on your finances. So budget for that, now, not later.
Next... $1MM gets you a newer home and lot in a decent neighbourhood for sure. You can also get a decent place for ~$600k these days even with the recent escalations. Obviously depends where your place of work is located but really the roads in Calgary can be a PIA but still nothing compared to gridlock in Vancouver.
Leisure Suit Larry Activities... these days with the better roads you're always within 20mins of 90% of what you need. With a fresh kid you won't be doing much for a while so reality-check.

Weather... yeah our shoulder seasons can suck... as much as you let them. Calgary and area has lots of great indoor and outdoor activities, whether that's inner city, the 'burbs, Bragg Creek, Canmore, etc... tons of places to hike, bike, ski, explore, workout.

Covid... does this even matter right now to your decision?
Family & Friends... well you know you can get some CP'ers our for a beer (and maybe meet at the bike racks too), but are you comfortable with rebuilding or building a new social network? Sounds like you're pretty social so I'd say no issue.
Finances... sounds like you're good. Remember, it's not how much you make but how much you spend. Choose wisely grasshopper.
Anyways this thread continues to be entertaining.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #149
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7643677/c...arket-rebound/

While it might be relatively cheap, it isn't easy. This article talks about how it is a sellers market and how stock is flying off the shelves.
Maybe secrets out that Calgary house prices are quite cheap right now.

What’s with people and rich person envy. I don’t get that. If the OP makes half a million a year then who cares? How does that affect you? I don’t get the seething envious jealousy of people. It’s sad.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 02:45 PM   #150
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude, I think Victoria proper is a big boring pit of crumbling buildings. The NIMBYs there are particularly bad and you get out far enough out from Victoria, you get to see what real rednecks are like.
Oh there are definitely things to dislike for sure. Victoria is also running perilously close to losing the small semblance of culture it has for many of the same reasons Vancouver has.

I definitely get bored and stir crazy here, although that's mostly just in the winter months. That said, I'd rather live here than Calgary because it fits my lifestyle better.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #151
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Oh there are definitely things to dislike for sure. Victoria is also running perilously close to losing the small semblance of culture it has for many of the same reasons Vancouver has.

I definitely get bored and stir crazy here, although that's mostly just in the winter months. That said, I'd rather live here than Calgary because it fits my lifestyle better.
Thoughts on moving to Nanaimo? Looks like some great oceanfront property at reasonable prices. WFH also makes that a very serious option, and the place is growing.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #152
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Thoughts on moving to Nanaimo? Looks like some great oceanfront property at reasonable prices. WFH also makes that a very serious option, and the place is growing.
I wouldn't live in Nanaimo. Climate is better in Victoria, and Nanaimo's nightlife/restaurant scene makes Victoria's look like Vegas. Only reason to choose Nanaimo over Victoria is affordability.

In terms of outdoor activities, I'd take the Comox Valley over Nanaimo as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #153
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
A+ OP, made me laugh.

Vancouver is No Good. However, if I could afford to live there comfortably right now, I probably would. That is solely due to the ocean.

Calgary is devoid of character right now. The only things thriving are the grocery and home supplies stores. People are largely focused on getting by. Now people are heading west to the mountains for variety and fun instead of downtown as that is what is safest and allowed. Really hard to judge or gauge the city in pandemic times, but it will take time to regain traction in terms of atmosphere, fun and variety around the core when we come out the other side. I would like to believe that in 5 years things will be much better and vibrant around these parts. Hopefully better than it ever was with new businesses and a new event center.
I’ve been to Vancouver so many times. Sorry but what is so vibrant and great about Robson that you don’t get on 17th ave? What can you do there that you can’t do in Calgary?

Robson and Younge is a bit like the beltline on a much smaller scale. Sure downtown Calgary can be a dead zone after work but not the beltline. Pubs in the suburbs are also wall to wall busy during non covid times, people going for walks, runs, lots of local shops.

Sorry i just don’t understand what “atmosphere” people are looking for. What makes Vancouver so vibrant? Is it theatre’s, more coffee shops?

I suppose there’s granville island but it’s a bit overhyped if you ask me. It’s just a farmers market on the water. If you take your food outside there’s crazy seagulls eyeing your food.

I don’t get it.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I ####ing love Smithers.
Ah. I see. So you're a crazy person.

Just so long as we understand each other.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #155
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yes and if you need to get off the island for any reason like say a Cannucks game, you pay for the ferry, a hotel stay and the tickets to your game. Good luck with that.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #156
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Yes and if you need to get off the island for any reason like say a Cannucks game, you pay for the ferry, a hotel stay and the tickets to your game. Good luck with that.
Oh really? Living here for 13 years, I had no idea.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #157
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve been to Vancouver so many times. Sorry but what is so vibrant and great about Robson that you don’t get on 17th ave? What can you do there that you can’t do in Calgary?

Robson and Younge is a bit like the beltline on a much smaller scale. Sure downtown Calgary can be a dead zone after work but not the beltline. Pubs in the suburbs are also wall to wall busy during non covid times, people going for walks, runs, lots of local shops.

Sorry i just don’t understand what “atmosphere” people are looking for. What makes Vancouver so vibrant? Is it theatre’s, more coffee shops?

I suppose there’s granville island but it’s a bit overhyped if you ask me. It’s just a farmers market on the water. If you take your food outside there’s crazy seagulls eyeing your food.

I don’t get it.
I imagine your homerism towards Calgary is the answer. No one objectively looking at things would say Calgary is more vibrant than Vancouver. Calgary isn't even more vibrant than Victoria.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #158
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I imagine your homerism towards Calgary is the answer. No one objectively looking at things would say Calgary is more vibrant than Vancouver. Calgary isn't even more vibrant than Victoria.
No reasoning or rationale to your argument.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:28 PM   #159
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No reasoning or rationale to your argument.
Because there's no argument, it's personal preference. Seriously, 17th Ave isn't remotely close to as alive as Robson or Granville or Gastown in my experience. Your experience was different. Fair enough, but most people think Vancouver is more vibrant. Calgary is a white collar, suburbia heavy town. Expecting it to be vibrant is unrealistic.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #160
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I haven't seen anyone describe this so accurately, well done. The night here is black. Its comparatively darker here at night than other places.
What are you guys talking about? The night is bright, with the city lights bouncing off the clouds. I know, because I keep having to remind myself that even if the aurora data is promising (and the bar for promising is much higher here than in Calgary) it's still going to be cloudy outside.

Personally I think Calgary is a dying city going the way of Detroit with a political culture exacerbating its decline. I miss the sunshine, but I wouldn't want to be back. I'd rather try somewhere new. Preferably tropical or subtropical.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote