Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2021, 11:24 PM   #1321
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pics of the Mercedes 2022 C-Class have leaked. The exterior is unremarkable, but the interior is certainly trying to distinguish itself. Not sure if I like that pinstriping effect on the dash - might be a 'lets see it in person' thing. Will be interesting to see how much of this interior carries over to a future updated GLC.

I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #1322
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh good, two tablets!

This is just the worst of the worst automotive trends.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #1323
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want a glued on iPad instrument panel. That whole center console looks awkwardly high and steep
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:24 AM   #1324
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with Mercedes and their air vents? They always look so...odd.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #1325
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame Tesla fanboys for this abomination. Not a fan of the giant tablet and the only people that like this are the ones that believe Elon Musk can do no wrong. This interior looks less luxurious than current MB interiors. I still believe you need tactile buttons for controls like volume, next/previous track and HVAC as I've never used a touch screen that didn't require me taking my eyes off the road. VW is guilty of this as well with the new Golf as those haptic steering wheel controls are horrible.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-23-2021 at 06:46 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #1326
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What's with Mercedes and their air vents? They always look so...odd.
Ninja turtle mouths.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #1327
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I blame Tesla fanboys for this abomination. Not a fan of the giant tablet and the only people that like this are the ones that believe Elon Musk can do no wrong. This interior looks less luxurious than current MB interiors. I still believe you need tactile buttons for controls like volume, next/previous track and HVAC as I've never used a touch screen that didn't require me taking my eyes off the road. VW is guilty of this as well with the new Golf ase those haptic steering wheel controls are horrible.
It does look like there are a fair number of buttons on the wheel, so media is probably covered. There are some buttons below the touch screen as well. But generally I agree, touch screens are terrible.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:50 AM   #1328
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It does look like there are a fair number of buttons on the wheel, so media is probably covered. There are some buttons below the touch screen as well. But generally I agree, touch screens are terrible.
The steering wheel buttons are haptic though so you will have to likely look at those as well. All the MK8 Golf reviews are panning this steering wheel setup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #1329
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's dumb.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #1330
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Hyundai Ioniq 5 was launched yesterday and it looks pretty sweet. I really like it. It says it should have 450km to 550km depending on battery choice with all wheel drive. Also for a small-ish hatchback/crossover the interior space should be really impressive as it has a longer wheelbase than the new Hyundai Palisade.

I was considering an electric Mustang at some point but honestly I think this new Hyundai might be more appealing.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 02-23-2021 at 07:10 AM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #1331
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I blame Tesla fanboys for this abomination. Not a fan of the giant tablet and the only people that like this are the ones that believe Elon Musk can do no wrong. This interior looks less luxurious than current MB interiors. I still believe you need tactile buttons for controls like volume, next/previous track and HVAC as I've never used a touch screen that didn't require me taking my eyes off the road. VW is guilty of this as well with the new Golf as those haptic steering wheel controls are horrible.
This is dumb, Tesla fanboys should have no control over what another auto maker does. If they do, then that automaker is useless.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #1332
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Pics of the Mercedes 2022 C-Class have leaked. The exterior is unremarkable, but the interior is certainly trying to distinguish itself. Not sure if I like that pinstriping effect on the dash - might be a 'lets see it in person' thing. Will be interesting to see how much of this interior carries over to a future updated GLC.

I hate touch screens as much as anybody, but this is an improvement over the screens Mercedes used to fasten to the top of dashes with zip ties and hardware store L-brackets that look like this:

Spoiler!

I also think having the screen angled makes way more sense so it fits with the angle at which your eyes will be looking. Basically, if you're going to do screens, integrate them with the rest of the design and I think Mercedes has been doing a good job of that.

Needs physical buttons, though. The only way you can disagree with that is if you haven't driven a car that's just screens. It's the fataing worst. Can't do anything by feel. Everything you do requires you taking your eyes off the road. Everything is at least a couple of button presses to menu into the right spot versus just hitting a button. And I don't want to give voice commands for everything. "Hey Mercedes. [waits] Turn on seat heater." GTFO. That should be like one button press. And maybe seat heaters is one button press in this car, BTW, I'm just using that as an example of how it's cumbersome to talk to the car to get anything done. Especially if it's cold and you just want to rip the climate control to hot, defrost, high, turn on the heated steering wheel, and turn on your heated seats. Like with hard buttons I can do all that in like two seconds. Spelling it out for the car one task at a time or scrolling through menus to do that is so annoying.

I really like the pin stripes. Gloss black under that screen needs to go as it'll look terrible after basically one day.

Gauges as a screen I like in cars. It makes so much sense to have that able to change and display what is most relevant in a style most pleasing to the driver. It's a perfect use of screens, but how will it age? Probably like crap haha. But really, that's not something Mercedes should care about (or any other manufacturer). Their job is to sell new cars.

Exterior styling looks like it melted in the sun a bit. Just not crisp enough IMO. It's like its skin is pulled too tight or something, but I know that's been their thing for the past couple years.

Anyway, I like that Mercedes pushes things a bit in the interior space. They're far from boring and less conservative than BMW, which I like.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #1333
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

under the category of i hate vehicels and being an adult.....so the wifes 2008 ford edge (195,000kms) has some leaky seals and gaskets and requires about $2,500 in work.

after mulling it over for a while, we are going ahead with the repairs as my thinking is that this represents about 5 months of payments on something newer and the thought of committing to buy a vehicle right now is not appealing to her (i am a little more ready to upgrade).

while this unit has been very good to us since we have owned it, it is hard to get fired up pumping so much into a vehicle of this vintage, given that in two months it could require more repairs. additionally, we took collision coverage off this vehicle when our 18 yr old son got his onw vehicle in order to significantly lower our insurance costs.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #1334
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The new Hyundai Ioniq 5 was launched yesterday and it looks pretty sweet. I really like it. It says it should have 450km to 550km depending on battery choice with all wheel drive. Also for a small-ish hatchback/crossover the interior space should be really impressive as it has a longer wheelbase than the new Hyundai Palisade.

I was considering an electric Mustang at some point but honestly I think this new Hyundai might be more appealing.

It looks nice but my god what is with the horribly sparse and sterile looking interiors in electric cars. Its like bad futuristic concept drawings. Outside looks great, inside looks trash
Old 02-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #1335
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
This is dumb, Tesla fanboys should have no control over what another auto maker does. If they do, then that automaker is useless.
It's not about control. It's about influence. Automakers have no choice but to take notice of the success of the Model 3 and we all know it's a copycat industry (hence all the big grilles). The issue is that Tesla fanboys are tech nerds and while they are okay with a minimalist interior that mimics a cell phone most drivers prefer tactile controls for basic controls like HVAC, radio, heated seats, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #1336
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
It looks nice but my god what is with the horribly sparse and sterile looking interiors in electric cars. Its like bad futuristic concept drawings. Outside looks great, inside looks trash
I actually like the interior quite a bit. The only thing that I am not totally crazy about is the center console. I would prefer to have a larger console extending from the center stack with more storage options and maybe even the possibility of some controls built-in to the console.

Another thing that I would like to see is a shallower dash. It seems like there is a lot of wasted space between the base of the windshield and the edge of the dash. I wonder how much the engineers could reconfigure the internals of the dash so that a few extra inches of interior space could be gained. I know some people wouldn't like the idea of sitting closer to the windshield but every inch of leg room and cargo space is valuable.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #1337
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's not about control. It's about influence. Automakers have no choice but to take notice of the success of the Model 3 and we all know it's a copycat industry (hence all the big grilles). The issue is that Tesla fanboys are tech nerds and while they are okay with a minimalist interior that mimics a cell phone most drivers prefer tactile controls for basic controls like HVAC, radio, heated seats, etc.
You're essentially saying auto makers have no choice but to do what most people don't want.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #1338
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reality is, we are going to see a lot more of the touch screens. It's got to be so much cheaper to do away with buttons and knobs. I do not approve, but it's happening.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #1339
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The reality is, we are going to see a lot more of the touch screens. It's got to be so much cheaper to do away with buttons and knobs. I do not approve, but it's happening.
Considerably cheaper as no additional hardware like buttons, knobs, switches or their associated wiring harnesses or circuit boards are required. Overhead is reduced considerably as all these features are handled by the display software. It's the current trend for sure and I don't have anything against the LCD screens for the most part as I like configurable cockpits. I just find the more I have to use touch screens in motion, the worse of a driver I become. I would hate to have a close call with a pedestrian because I was fumbling trying to change interior temperature with a software slider.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #1340
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember a number of years ago there were rumours of touch screens with adaptive buttons that would gel into place as needed. Right now you have to take your eyes off the road to know what button you're pressing on the screen.

Until we get to that point, I hate touch screens. I can hardly stand the fingerprints on my phone.

Give me a scroll wheel or give me death.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote