Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #141
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
It makes me sad that McDavid hasn't spent his career playing for a better organization. With Crosby, I loved watching him play and cheered for his success. I appreciated being able to watch a generational talent over his career. I enjoyed watching him in the Olympics and could fully cheer for him. I was excited when Iggy got traded to the Pens for a chance in the playoffs and to see them both on the same team. It would be nice to be able to cheer for McDavid. His skills are unreal, but he is tainted by playing for a garbage organization with a culture that makes them impossible to like and that stains the players too. I can watch that goal and recognize that it was a beauty, but I can't feel excited for him and the idea of cheering for him just grosses me out. I don't know what it will be like in the Beijing Olympics when we have to watch him in a Canada jersey.
Plus is it playing for the Oilers that makes him so whiny? The fan base up there makes sure he thinks he is a Saint that can do no wrong at all times.

And count me in as a guy who cringed at Johnny whining even though I cheer for the Flames. I'm glad he has toned it down this year especially.

But watching Conor flop around or complain to the refs about everything is getting very very old.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:28 AM   #142
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Saw this on Twitter from Scott Wheeler:

Jason Spezza has 32 points in 68 games since joining the Leafs. His five most common linemates during that time are Kasperi Kapanen, Pierre Engvall, Frederik Gauthier, Nic Petan and Kyle Clifford. Also he’s 37.

And that with getting around 10 minutes a game. The guy is pretty awesome. But Babcock benched him in his first game after signing with his hometown team in the homeopener against his team he is most associated with, the Sens because he wasn't able to penalty kill yet...What a prick.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #143
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The standings will of course be funny this year, but after seeing the Oilers barely eke their way past the lowly Sens, I've realized that what we need are standings that exclude the free points given to the teams who have been lucky enough to play the Sens more than others so far (EDM 4-0, VAN 3-0). So, excluding games involving OTT, here are the standings:

TOR 19pts 11gp .864
MTL 16pts 10gp .800
WPG 10pts 8gp .625

CGY 11pts 11gp .500

EDM 8pts 11gp .364
VAN 6pts 13gp .231

Of course, CGY will probably end going something like 4-4-1 against OTT.

It's also worth noting that WIN and MTL are the two lucky teams who get to play OTT 10 times instead of 9.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #144
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
The standings will of course be funny this year, but after seeing the Oilers barely eke their way past the lowly Sens, I've realized that what we need are standings that exclude the free points given to the teams who have been lucky enough to play the Sens more than others so far (EDM 4-0, VAN 3-0). So, excluding games involving OTT, here are the standings:

TOR 19pts 11gp .864
MTL 16pts 10gp .800
WPG 10pts 8gp .625

CGY 11pts 11gp .500

EDM 8pts 11gp .364
VAN 6pts 13gp .231

It's also worth noting that WIN and MTL are the two lucky teams who get to play OTT 10 times instead of 9.
It was early in the season but the Sens played the Leafs way harder than the Canucks. Probably need to discount the Sens and the Canucks.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #145
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Loving how Matthews is throwing his big frame around this year. Looks great on offence and defence.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1359692081191522306?
Old 02-10-2021, 08:48 PM   #146
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:50 PM   #147
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
It's fine, since they will also go 10-0 v. the Oilers and Canucks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #148
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It's fine, since they will also go 10-0 v. the Oilers and Canucks.
I think they're gonna need to pick up at least 90% of the available points against the 3 weak sisters of the division, if they are to have a shot at 1st place.

Batting 1000 so far...
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #149
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t know why but TO and Montreal both looked horrible to me tonight.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:46 AM   #150
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how on NHL.com the have points % in the standings.
much more accurate way to view them instead of just by points, especially as I think there will be an uneven number of games played by each team, even in the North.

despite Oilers having 3 points more,
Flames - .577
Oilers - .563

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2020/division

also, holy crap are the Canucks dropping like a rock. Only team that is close to them in goals against is Ottawa.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 02-12-2021 at 08:49 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #151
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Put this here I guess? Laine, ex-member of Jets, gets in a fight. I'm sure Torts was creaming his pants but when that shot connected on Laine it didn't look good. He could have gotten really hurt. I wouldn't want my elite scorer out there getting knocked out.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #152
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

To no ones surprise, this thread went radio silent after last night. Congrats on scoring 5 goals TO!
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:06 AM   #153
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Saw this on Twitter from Scott Wheeler:

Jason Spezza has 32 points in 68 games since joining the Leafs. His five most common linemates during that time are Kasperi Kapanen, Pierre Engvall, Frederik Gauthier, Nic Petan and Kyle Clifford. Also he’s 37.

And that with getting around 10 minutes a game. The guy is pretty awesome. But Babcock benched him in his first game after signing with his hometown team in the homeopener against his team he is most associated with, the Sens because he wasn't able to penalty kill yet...What a prick.
Draisaitl: 4.188 points per 60 minutes played
Spezza: 3.592 points per 60 minutes player

So Draisaitl only produces 14% more per hour of ice time.
Plus, a lot of Draisaitl's minutes on the PP. And, he plays with McDavid while not playing any defense.

By the way, Lucic (1.570) is 12th in the entire league in points per 60 minutes even strength. McDavid is 46th (1.010).

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 02-16-2021 at 08:09 AM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #154
Darkon
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Ignorant BC boy

Question for all of you, as I am living in BC and have only actually seen the Oilers play once this year, and then highlights. I have 2 friends who are die-hard Oiler homers and their latest narrative is that with even half decent goaltending they would be leading the division.
Now I laughed at them, but then I was reading the post game from last nights Jets/Oilers game and a number of Oiler fans are voicing the same opinion in that thread.
As I said to my friends there is a salary cap so just "adding a good goalie" (the example they used was if they had Markstrom) just can't work. But their response is that they are a good/great team with complete crap goaltending.
So for those of you living in Alberta with more opportunity to actually watch the Oilers, how would you actually describe the Oilers play this year.
I put this here, because I was hoping for a fairly unbiased response and figured this was a much more likely place to get that than in the E=NG thread.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #155
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
Question for all of you, as I am living in BC and have only actually seen the Oilers play once this year, and then highlights. I have 2 friends who are die-hard Oiler homers and their latest narrative is that with even half decent goaltending they would be leading the division.
Now I laughed at them, but then I was reading the post game from last nights Jets/Oilers game and a number of Oiler fans are voicing the same opinion in that thread.
As I said to my friends there is a salary cap so just "adding a good goalie" (the example they used was if they had Markstrom) just can't work. But their response is that they are a good/great team with complete crap goaltending.
So for those of you living in Alberta with more opportunity to actually watch the Oilers, how would you actually describe the Oilers play this year.
I put this here, because I was hoping for a fairly unbiased response and figured this was a much more likely place to get that than in the E=NG thread.
Hate to break it to you...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #156
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would say that it is not far from the truth. Realistically the Oilers are a talented team on offense and have the ability to outscore most teams on any given night. Where they fall apart is on defense and goaltending. Those two go hand-in-hand because a goalie can't do everything on his own. The Oilers are just under 3 goals for per game that they lost so obviously that points towards the issue being more on the back end than the front as 3 goals should be leading towards more wins than losses. The Oilers are currently leading the league in goals for. Unfortunately they are also 4th in goals against. If they could reduce the goals against either through defense or just relying on solid goaltending they could easily be at the top of league for points.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 02-16-2021 at 04:17 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #157
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I am also living in BC, but have watched a lot of Oilers games this season. The Oilers do in fact have two crappy goalies, but this is not the only thing keeping them from total hockey dominance. The Oilers bleed chances. They rank #25 in shots-allowed. They are a bottom-five team in shooting-attempt splits, and are also in the bottom half for HD scoring chances allowed.

The Oilers are a tire-fire defensively, which is why they have surrendered more goals than everyone except for Ottawa, Vancouver and Columbus. It is why they have a 5-8-0 record v. every team that is not the Ottawa Senators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #158
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thats just the usual delusion from their fanbase. Their record is a mirage right now with 4 wins against Ottawa.

The Oilers were dog treats at the start of the season, but seemed to have picked up their play due to confidence from the Ottawa gimmes. Their defense seems to be scoring at a ridiculous rate lately too which won't last. We NEED to win both games this weekend to send them back to the shadows where they belong.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #159
Darkon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hate to break it to you...
Fair enough! maybe a rival team discussion board is not the best place to get a fair assessment, but at the same time I'm on this board because there are some very insightful and knowledgeable hockey people here who are very capable of giving a fair assessment. And maybe then I can balance that with the assessment I get from Oiler fans.
Good early example of that is CalgaryGeologist
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #160
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all, it's a pretty laughable take that a .500 team would be leading the division with better goaltending.

Their D is just not good defensively. Like, at all. You show me bad defense, and I'll show you 'bad' goaltending. Because a bad defense will give up better chances, putting more pressure on the goalie.

Koskinen hasn't been good. But neither has the team (defensively). Pretending that he is their only problem is all kinds of naive.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote