Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #121
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Starting to see some good local talent coming through, as MRU was tied for most players eligible for the draft with 5. MRU coach Ryan Gyaki putting together a pretty good program.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #122
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the Zator rumour, I personally don't give it much weight. Tommy himself said that Zator wants to make the move to Europe, and that was also reported in the Sun earlier this week. I've heard something will be announced in the next few weeks though, but my source was tightlipped as to wherehe'll end up.

Aside from the public comments, there really is no reason for Zator to go to York. He's already established himself as one of the best CB's in the league. What good does moving from one of the best teams in the league, to one of the worst prove? If York threw a truckload of money at him, which you can't really do in this league given the low salary cap, then I get it from a personal standpoint. But it would be a terrible move for his footballing career.

There are a couple scenarios where maybe he plays in York but also makes the move abroad or to a higher level. The first scenario is that York offered him a contract that he couldn't turn down, and they have arranged a loan for him to play somewhere in Europe until the end of June. They've already arranged that for a few of their players, but to levels that are a sideways move from CPL at best. Or maybe Zator received an offer from an MLS club, and then is loaned to York for the 2021 season. In both scenarios, I'm not sure what good that does his career as he doesn't need to establish himself in CPL, he needs to make the move up.

Just baffling stuff.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:16 AM   #123
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much of the U-sports draft picks should we expect to see this year? We only have one U21 player at the moment.

I know Loturi was very young in 2019 and hopefully can play some minutes. Keen was the youngest pick in the draft, and he is in a needed position at CB but I don't know if he'll be in any matches this season.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:26 AM   #124
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unbelievable...

https://twitter.com/yorkutdfc/status...41107886239747

Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #125
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goddamnit.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #126
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Wow. This is a gut punch.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #127
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes. Talk about lousy roster management. One of the best teams with one of the richest ownership groups should not have this sort of roster turnover. Losing him to Europe is obvious, but to recently rebranded York? Wow.

I like Tommy a lot, but how in the word does York outbid you on one of your 3 best players?
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #128
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's the most frustrating about this move is that when it was announced that Zator was leaving, Tommy says in the newspapers “The truth is he’s 27 years old next year and entering the prime years of his life and he’s always dreamt about playing in Europe, so we have to respect that."

And a week later he signs with York?

If York gave him an offer that was far better than what Cavalry could offer, then fine, I think people would respect that. Or if Zator wanted to move to Europe, a deal fell through, and Cavalry had already moved on by that point then sure.

But don't lie to the supporters about a move to Europe a week before he is announced at ####ing York.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #129
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
So what's the most frustrating about this move is that when it was announced that Zator was leaving, Tommy says in the newspapers “The truth is he’s 27 years old next year and entering the prime years of his life and he’s always dreamt about playing in Europe, so we have to respect that."

And a week later he signs with York?

If York gave him an offer that was far better than what Cavalry could offer, then fine, I think people would respect that. Or if Zator wanted to move to Europe, a deal fell through, and Cavalry had already moved on by that point then sure.

But don't lie to the supporters about a move to Europe a week before he is announced at ####ing York.
Yeah, there's simply no way that a team like Cavalry should be losing top starters to other CanPL teams.

This is how you lose local momentum in the second largest CanPL market. All they had to say was they were trying, but there were factors at play. Right now it looks like incompetence.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #130
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Absolute garbage, we better get an explanation from the club in the next day or so.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #131
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Yeah, this one is tough to take. Massive turnover is expected in a startup league like this, but we shouldn’t be losing a player like this. Hopefully we get some sort of an explanation.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #132
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hard move to understand. If York paid him more than Cavalry could, then fine, all good.

But how does moving to York help get him to Europe?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #133
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

This stinks. Wonder if he misled Cavalry about his intentions or did Cavalry just miss the mark here?

Guess it’s time to start practicing my whistling...
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #134
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he thought he was signing for York City...

Old 02-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #135
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Someone on Twitter is saying Zator's off to York 9 um, I mean York United. I dunno?!

https://twitter.com/CplTransfers/sta...53264640204807

Maybe Giantsoplous could have influenced him?
Wow. That made no sense to me when I heard it. I can't believe it's really the case.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #136
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Wow. That made no sense to me when I heard it. I can't believe it's really the case.
Speculation is York had a lot more money to offer him. Their GM said recently they had a lot of room under the cap to play with.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #137
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is why I don't get player jerseys (well, this and a bad experience with Sven Baertschi). Zator was top of the list if I was going to. Calgary kid, seemed committed to the team and now he's off to York. WTF.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #138
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1356284971317661697
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #139
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zator has already been loaned to a club in the Swedish second division. I'm guessing Cavalry's inability to find a loan for him in the last window is a factor in his departure, in addition to the money.

https://twitter.com/yorkutdfc/status...33518630203410

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #140
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've got an MLS CB on loan for the season. Karifa Yao from the Impact. He's 20, so he'll get lots of those required U21 minutes.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1357072116101881860

Last edited by shermanator; 02-03-2021 at 02:10 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good