Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #6481
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Jokes aside, I feel like Johnny has come in this year with a renewed commitment to 2 way play. He has spent far less time hovering around the blue line while the rest of the team plays D this year.
I think Johnny has always been committed to playing a 2 way game. He's always backchecked hard. His problem, like many of the forwards on this roster is just a lack of strength and size.

If you are within a foot of Gaudreau, you've got him beat. A nudge here and there and he's off the puck. Same goes for Ryan, Mangiapane, Simon and these 4 guys arguably touch the puck the most for their respectively lines.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #6482
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think Johnny has always been committed to playing a 2 way game. He's always backchecked hard. His problem, like many of the forwards on this roster is just a lack of strength and size.

If you are within a foot of Gaudreau, you've got him beat. A nudge here and there and he's off the puck. Same goes for Ryan, Mangiapane, Simon and these 4 guys arguably touch the puck the most for their respectively lines.

Sometimes he backcheck hard, if he thinks he can steal a puck. But he has horrific coverage in his own zone and he flies the zone on the regular.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #6483
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well based on the tweet Gaudreau’s sister just sent maybe Johnny will re-sign here.

I’m on my phone so can’t embed it but she just lit up Eric Francis.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #6484
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Well based on the tweet Gaudreau’s sister just sent maybe Johnny will re-sign here.

I’m on my phone so can’t embed it but she just lit up Eric Francis.
What's her twitter handle?
Old 02-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #6485
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1356436817080274946

https://twitter.com/user/status/1356438511717675009
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #6486
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. That’s gold!!
Old 02-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #6487
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

hahq eric francis has me blocked too

i barely even use twitter

thin skin

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-02-2021, 12:58 AM   #6488
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting ‘This tweet is unavailable’ on the second link. What did it say?
Old 02-02-2021, 01:00 AM   #6489
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1356449846090031104
Francis deleted her reply after, he couldn't take it lol

Last edited by mile; 02-02-2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:47 AM   #6490
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I'm getting ‘This tweet is unavailable’ on the second link. What did it say?
I think she actually deleted the tweet but she basically just called him out as one of the clowns who have been trying to drive Johnny out of town for years.

Edit: guess u you can see it in the above ^
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 AM   #6491
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
We'll put him on the next rocket to the sun if Johnny will sign an extension.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 06:58 AM   #6492
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Man this ^^ made my morning
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #6493
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I said, this is Francis's schtick. Gaudreau has made it very clear he wants to be in Calgary. If I was him I would be beyond tired of Eric spewing what he does, it is very unprofessional.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #6494
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would say if your ambition in life is to be a pro athlete and family and friends is a must have nearby issue, then that career choice is probably not for you. It comes with the job.
Yeah, I get that.

But what I was responding to was the very callous insinuation that a hockey-wife's feelings are irrelevant when she can just cash her husband's million-dollar checks. It is an attitude that strikes me as both completely, unrealistically insensitive, and frankly, a little misogynistic.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #6495
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would love for Johnny to be a Flame for a long long time into the future. I hope the comments he made about wanting to be here are spoken from the heart.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #6496
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I would love for Johnny to be a Flame for a long long time into the future. I hope the comments he made about wanting to be here are spoken from the heart.
This could be the next step for Gaudreau. Grew out if his funk and taken a step forward in growth and compete.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #6497
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm of the opinion if he maintains his pace all season the team should sell high. I like Gaudreau as he's probably one of my favorite Flames over the past few decades but am still not convinced he would re-sign in Calgary as he's going to want to kick the tires on the eastern franchises. Also he's going to be almost 30 at the end of his contract and I don't like the idea of paying him $8 million long term into his 30's. I think moving him may hurt in the short term but if the right assets are required could help set up the next core of the franchise. The Flames simply can't afford to mismanage what is one of their top assets.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #6498
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm of the opinion if he maintains his pace all season the team should sell high. I like Gaudreau as he's probably one of my favorite Flames over the past few decades but am still not convinced he would re-sign in Calgary as he's going to want to kick the tires on the eastern franchises. Also he's going to be almost 30 at the end of his contract and I don't like the idea of paying him $8 million long term into his 30's. I think moving him may hurt in the short term but if the right assets are required could help set up the next core of the franchise. The Flames simply can't afford to mismanage what is one of their top assets.
I am also all for this approach. However, the pandemic possibly adds another wrinkle that I think is well worth exploring. With a flat cap in place there may be an opportunity to sign Gaudreau at a reduced rate and for a short term if he chooses to bank on signing a big deal after the League recovers in two or three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #6499
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been of the opinion that no team should be 'building around' anyone. Gretzky never won another cup after he left Edmonton. Mario didn't win every season even with one of the most amazing lines in the history of hockey.

Gaudreau is just an 'elite-level' piece. He is a gamebreaker. To keep this short (no pun intended), anyone is 'easy' to contain when you have your team focusing on containing him. Just look at McDavid's point totals against Calgary when Backlund and Brodie were on the ice. Look at MacKinnon's point totals when he was on the ice vs Backlund and Brodie (Brodie was one of the league's elite shot-suppression defencemen).

Calgary didn't have enough weapons in the playoffs, especially when Tkachuk got hurt. Teams have the relative luxury of focusing on Gaudreau. Just watch the Pens in the playoffs - sometimes the Crosby line gets all the attention and Malkin is able to freewheel a bit more, or sometimes it is the other way around. It is difficult to contain two elite lines.

Trading Gaudreau doesn't really solve the problem. I am of the opinion that a team collects as much talent as possible, have that team develop chemistry on every line, and get a coach that can figure out plans of attack.

Calgary trading Gaudreau will probably just result in this team being less talented. Sure, maybe whatever piece you get for Gaudreau (and/or his cap hit replacement) might fit in well too and continue to help this team win. However, it is less likely for that to happen IMO. Flames are more likely to lose the trade and get worse. Johnny is a top 20 talent in the NHL.

If I am the Flames, I am going to take this cautiously (as I am sure they are), and be reluctant to trade Gaudreau. I would be trying to extend him, and only trade him if the contract demands are unreasonable or if he just wants to move on. Flames are more likely to be worse without Gaudreau than better. Sure, maybe their window becomes more extended. Maybe it will make more sense in other areas somehow.

I just think that teams just need to acquire the most skilled players as possible. Deep teams win championships. This is perhaps the last year to win with this roster, but maybe it is next season as well if the Flames are able to extend Gaudreau for what makes sense. I just think that Gaureau is likely to be the best and most skilled player in any trade that the Flames make. His value - although high - will still reflect that he is small and doesn't play a premium position (centre or top defencemen).

I hope that the Flames and Gaudreau can come to terms on an extension. I really believe that it is the best chance to win a championship. I hope the Flames manage to upgrade somewhere else in the lineup if the wingers aren't working out as well (I think Gaudreau-Monahan, Tkachuk-Lindholm, and Bennett-Backlund is fantastic, but the entire right side needs to develop and find their place to contribute and 'finish' those lines).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #6500
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gaudreau needs to pull a Voracek the next time Francis tries to ask him a question. I would love to see that!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread