Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #41
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have two massive trees in my yard I would love to do up one year, but I'm wondering what the best way is. Ideally I could use LED string lights lights and change the color depending on the season. Does that exist for a not insane price?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #42
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't plan on taking them down until the spring, but what's protocol for using them? I've just left the timer running, but I assume at some point I need to shut them down. Do you leave them on all winter, or end it in January?

I think there’s no protocol this year. If it makes you happy to turn them on, then do so!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #43
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

besides isn't there an unofficial neighborhood "award" for house who has Christmas lights on the longest, as well as house that displays Christmas tree in window the longest?

A neighbor up the block a few years back went October through March with the Christmas tree display in their window.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #44
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't plan on taking them down until the spring, but what's protocol for using them? I've just left the timer running, but I assume at some point I need to shut them down. Do you leave them on all winter, or end it in January?
I have a couple of lawn decorations that I take down in January. I pull off the lights from the bushes at that time too. I keep the lights on until then, which is normally a week after new years, depending on the weather. I normally pull the lights off of my house in March or April, again, depending on the weather.

This year the house lights will probably stay on since they are red and I'll turn them on for Flames game days!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #45
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My lights usually stay up until there is a weather window and the snow is gone. I turn them off generally in early/mid January, once Ukrainian Christmas is over. I'm not Greek Orthodox but that always seemed to be a good time and growing up most houses kept theirs on until then so I kind of got used to it. This year I might run them longer and hope others do too. It's been a crap year and this helps brighten the dark nights just a little bit so seems like a good plan.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #46
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got our quote from Gemstone. I think I put in the request on their website on Monday and they were out on Thursday, which was a lot quicker than I would have guessed. They do a really good job with the quote and give the quote on sections of your house. I was surprised at how expensive it was. To do it all, is $8200, but to do the most visible parts would be closer to $4500. At this point, I think it’s too much dough, but we’ll discuss it a bit and then decide.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #47
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I am often conflicted about this too. Typically I will stop turning them on when the kids go back to school after the Christmas break. But this year with all the crap we have been enduring I have found it nice to see lights still on so I will leave my timer on for a bit longer.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:03 AM   #48
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the Gemstone nerds, what Flames colour scheme have you settled on? I found the presets to be a bit too white and yellow, and thus not red enough. Currently I am leaning toward a pattern of: 3 red, 2 yellow, 3 red, 1 warm white (and then repeating). Seems like a good ratio based on the home jersey colours.

I also toned down the shade of yellow a bit to R:100 G:65 B:0 W:0. It looks a bit orangey in the app, but it seems like the proper yellow on the lights.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #49
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone heard of Mr. Bright Lights?

https://mrbrightlights.ca/

They have a 15% off promo right now and don't seem crazily priced, just not sure if they are any good.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:32 PM   #50
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post

They have a 15% off promo right now and don't seem crazily priced, just not sure if they are any good.
They just did a house close to me they look fine just like every other install 4” ish spacing. I haven’t seen them run much for programming so not sure on their app.

I was speaking with a company and make sure any lights you are permanently installing are Cul certified to avoid any insurance issues. There has been some fires with led lights this past year more so on the Christmas hobby side of things which are typically a different pixel but something I would double check on installs since they could be coming from the same Chinese factory.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 11:51 PM   #51
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

####.. I thought november was early for christmas lights or even talking about Christmas lights....
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #52
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
####.. I thought november was early for christmas lights or even talking about Christmas lights....
I’m in full planning and prep mode for my display next year. It really is a year round hobby
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:54 AM   #53
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I’m in full planning and prep mode for my display next year. It really is a year round hobby
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:44 AM   #54
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
For the Gemstone nerds, what Flames colour scheme have you settled on? I found the presets to be a bit too white and yellow, and thus not red enough. Currently I am leaning toward a pattern of: 3 red, 2 yellow, 3 red, 1 warm white (and then repeating). Seems like a good ratio based on the home jersey colours.

I also toned down the shade of yellow a bit to R:100 G:65 B:0 W:0. It looks a bit orangey in the app, but it seems like the proper yellow on the lights.
I’m going to try your color scheme for flames days. Now if only i could get them all to flash when the flames score.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #55
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

bump for the proactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post

Saw online this guy has horrible reviews; heads up
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #56
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I met an electrician that can do GlowStone:

https://www.glowstonelighting.com/

Last edited by troutman; 10-12-2021 at 03:55 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #57
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I met an electrician that can do GlowStone:

https://www.glowstonelighting.com/
I think this is the year I'm doing the LEDs. I need to figure out a company and such though...and it seems like there are a lot of options on that front.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:26 PM   #58
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My neighbor used Heilight (https://heilight.ca/)

They look awesome. Nice, clean long LED strips too.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there DIY solutions that still use quality products? Feels like something I could do myself for a lot cheaper.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #60
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
My neighbor used Heilight (https://heilight.ca/)

They look awesome. Nice, clean long LED strips too.
My neighbour got Heilight as well too. It looked good for the first season, but the second season, the plastic casing has yellowed, and I think that it has stopped working, because I don't see the lights on very often anymore (even this past 2020 Christmas season)

Online reviews are also really bad for this company.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote