Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #1141
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a quicker response from Shaw on Twitter than I did using the chat.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #1142
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
In a related note, anyone have experience with TekSavvy or Lightspeed?
I've been with TekSavvy for just over a year. Just internet. Internet service is good enough (150 plan), and the changeover was relatively easy. On the downside, their price has gone up significantly over the past year (due to the CRTC ruling apparently), and I was going to switch to Lightspeed which is cheaper but I read some reviews that the changeover can take awhile and requires them to schedule a Shaw tech to come over. Still might change in a month or two, but didn't want to when the kids were doing online school (I bought a router through TekSavvy as well so I've got that covered as well).

EDIT: one time I did have a tech issue (router shut down due to a water leak) and was able to connect immediately with a support rep. That was unexpected. Eventually the problem resolved itself (once the router dried out), but not having to wait on hold was a nice surprise.

Last edited by tvp2003; 01-12-2021 at 12:07 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #1143
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Just got bluecurve TV, but our upstairs TV location just has coax outlet, and the wifi isn’t strong enough to use only that.

Currently I have an Ethernet cable running across the floor, but I can’t leave that long term. Is there a solution to use the coax to get the internet to the TV, or do I have to try to get Ethernet to the back of the box?
Why not use a power line adapter or mesh system for ethernet/wifi?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #1144
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Just got bluecurve TV, but our upstairs TV location just has coax outlet, and the wifi isn’t strong enough to use only that.

Currently I have an Ethernet cable running across the floor, but I can’t leave that long term. Is there a solution to use the coax to get the internet to the TV, or do I have to try to get Ethernet to the back of the box?
https://www.actiontec.com/moca/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Ethernet over power should only be used as a last resort, signal quality will be terrible compared to any other option
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #1145
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
There is actually a protocol called MoCA, which uses coaxial cable for networking. I have never tried it myself, but it might be worth looking into.

Interestingly, while bridging my new Blue Curve router recently, I saw the option for MoCA in the web interface. I didn't dig any deeper, but Shaw's router may actually support that.

And also, as someone else suggested, you can actually connect the Xi6 boxes to your own network. So if you that's what you need to do, you can bridge Shaw's modem/router and just connect the TV boxes to your own network.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 07:16 PM   #1146
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
https://www.actiontec.com/moca/

Ethernet over power should only be used as a last resort, signal quality will be terrible compared to any other option
Where can I buy such products?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:50 PM   #1147
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where can I buy such products?
MOCA is a little harder to come by and it's slightly more expensive to acquire/slightly trickier to install. However, it will have better stability and reliability than power line. I don't have experience with MOCA, but I saw some of the equipment on Amazon for around $100-200 for gigabit.

Power line I see they are around $100 for gigabit as well, but you also can buy 500 mbps for like $55 so it's quite a bit cheaper. You may have to power cycle them every once in a while. After you pair them, you can basically move them all over the place.

However, since you're getting close to the $100 price point, I'd personally lean more towards spending $150-250 and go with a mesh system with 3 nodes. You'd improve wifi in your entire home more than for your purposes of bluecurve tv and this method is more future proof than MOCA or powerline. Any electronics store will have. Amazon and Bestbuy are good bets.

Last edited by DoubleF; 01-12-2021 at 11:52 PM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #1148
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't all the Shaw stuff already use MOCA? I'm not sure adding another MOCA system would even work on the same lines.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #1149
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
MOCA is a little harder to come by and it's slightly more expensive to acquire/slightly trickier to install. However, it will have better stability and reliability than power line. I don't have experience with MOCA, but I saw some of the equipment on Amazon for around $100-200 for gigabit.

Power line I see they are around $100 for gigabit as well, but you also can buy 500 mbps for like $55 so it's quite a bit cheaper. You may have to power cycle them every once in a while. After you pair them, you can basically move them all over the place.

However, since you're getting close to the $100 price point, I'd personally lean more towards spending $150-250 and go with a mesh system with 3 nodes. You'd improve wifi in your entire home more than for your purposes of bluecurve tv and this method is more future proof than MOCA or powerline. Any electronics store will have. Amazon and Bestbuy are good bets.
I’ve been thinking about upgrading my wifi anyway, since I only have wifi-n other than the shaw modem. And I have both down in my furnace room out of the way.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #1150
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just got my Shaw sim and activated it. I can receive calls and send texts, but I can't receive texts. Do these take a little while to start working? Is there something I should try to get texts to show up, or go straight to support? Is there any reason my phone would be the problem? It worked fine with 7/11.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #1151
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So I just got my Shaw sim and activated it. I can receive calls and send texts, but I can't receive texts. Do these take a little while to start working? Is there something I should try to get texts to show up, or go straight to support? Is there any reason my phone would be the problem? It worked fine with 7/11.

Could be a problem with the app, or which app is set as default? Our Shaw phones were able to send and receive texts right away.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #1152
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got flooded with my test messages...I can send a reply almost instantly, but it isn't receiving, seems to be a delay. I'll see how long before I get the next ones...
Old 01-19-2021, 05:14 PM   #1153
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone else ported their family mobile plan over to to Shaw Mobile yet? If so, how was your experience and coverage? I have 4 lines (2 adults, 2 teenagers). I'm trying to reduce our expenses, and I'm starting to getting pretty choked at forking over close to 400 a month to Rogers...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:18 PM   #1154
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Half that with Koodo. 4 lines 4GB a piece. You really need to shop around.
Edit, just took my own advice and bumped our plans to 6GB for the same price.
Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Last edited by keratosis; 01-19-2021 at 05:28 PM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #1155
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely garbage customer service. Used to be great but sucks balls now. I just spent the entire evening trying to sign up for Centre Ice, only to be lied to by someone claiming to be in Vancouver, but he said he wasn't in Canada. When I told him I wanted to sign up for Centre Ice he told me my Shaw cable account was to old and was now grandfathered and because of that he wouldn't be able to add Centre Ice. He would have to move me to a new programming platform. So then I tried chat and after farting around looking for serial numbers on the back of my cable boxes that the chat agent kept telling me were wrong only to have chat say it was closed for the day. I am so disgusted. 2 years ago when I signed up I spoke to an agent in Calgary and he flipped some switch and while I was talking to him I had Centre Ice.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:17 PM   #1156
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't you just sign in to your account and add it? Easy and quick.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #1157
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Don't you just sign in to your account and add it? Easy and quick.
I made the mistake of dialing the number it gives you on the guide to order it. What a waste of an evening.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #1158
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else Shaw internet down? None of my computers connect to the net. I'm using my cell phone network to get online now.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #1159
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Anyone else Shaw internet down? None of my computers connect to the net. I'm using my cell phone network to get online now.
Mine is fine here, and at the office downtown.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #1160
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Mine is fine here, and at the office downtown.
Thanks for the response.

I did the ol' "turn it off and on again" on the router and it seemed to do the trick.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post: