Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #241
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Doesn’t Bannon have to admit guilt first? And if pardoned, he can’t plead the Fifth in future proceedings?
Apparently not. You can be pardoned for crimes committed, but not been charged for. I was reading about this a week or two ago and it’s a bizarre system. I think Nixon was pardoned for crimes committed during his presidency (which would cover a set timeframe), but that’s one of the wrinkles.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #242
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Doesn’t Bannon have to admit guilt first? And if pardoned, he can’t plead the Fifth in future proceedings?
I know a lot of people more knowledge about US law than me have said this before, but it seems dumb to me.

We as a society have a principal of not coercing testimony, unless we write you a nice little get out of jail free note.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #243
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
And that's how the GOP will vote to convict in the Senate.

The Patriot Party will split the GOP in two. Even if it's an unequal split, it would be enough to hand the Democrats states and districts that are solidly Republican.

Instantly they'd lose Texas, and Florida.

Convict and bar Trump from running could save the GOP.

This would likely crush the GOP's chances for any general election in the near future. With a Trump fueled party taking votes from the GOP, I don't see how Republicans would win many of the swing states. PA would go blue every time, Florida and Texas like you said, pretty much all the midwest states (Ohio/MI/Wi)...I don't think the GOP would have enough supporters to overcome a Trump party candidate.

So by all means, GOP, let Trump ruin your party even farther.

For example, on a Pens board I occasionally peruse, (which btw makes CP look like a liberal haven) even the hardcore GOP supporters are welcoming this. They're willing to take a decade of Democratic rule in order to get the GOP back in order.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #244
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pardons only apply to federal laws right?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #245
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I know a lot of people more knowledge about US law than me have said this before, but it seems dumb to me.

We as a society have a principal of not coercing testimony, unless we write you a nice little get out of jail free note.
The fifth is about giving testimony that would incriminate yourself, and if pardoned then one can't incriminate one's self anymore (assuming the testimony is in relation to what you were pardoned for).

That's the idea as I understand it anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 10:05 PM   #246
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Pardons only apply to federal laws right?
Federal crimes yes. Governors can pardon for state crimes.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #247
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
This would likely crush the GOP's chances for any general election in the near future. With a Trump fueled party taking votes from the GOP, I don't see how Republicans would win many of the swing states. PA would go blue every time, Florida and Texas like you said, pretty much all the midwest states (Ohio/MI/Wi)...I don't think the GOP would have enough supporters to overcome a Trump party candidate.

So by all means, GOP, let Trump ruin your party even farther.

For example, on a Pens board I occasionally peruse, (which btw makes CP look like a liberal haven) even the hardcore GOP supporters are welcoming this. They're willing to take a decade of Democratic rule in order to get the GOP back in order.
A party taking away 15% of the GOP's vote would have cost the Republicans 9 Senators, 61 Representatives, and 8 States totaling 124 Electoral votes. (Alaska, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas)
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 10:52 PM   #248
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The “Pee Pees” or the “Pees”... I like it.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:56 PM   #249
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
A party taking away 15% of the GOP's vote would have cost the Republicans 9 Senators, 61 Representatives, and 8 States totaling 124 Electoral votes. (Alaska, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas)
They need to call this bluff. He’s relied on the competency of the republican political machine. Without that machine him & his brainless sack of sycophants have the ability to organize a rally and that’s about it. He’s use it as a mechanism to exploit people, then it will fail like every other business in his business model.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #250
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The fifth is about giving testimony that would incriminate yourself, and if pardoned then one can't incriminate one's self anymore (assuming the testimony is in relation to what you were pardoned for).

That's the idea as I understand it anyway.
I get it, but the a-liberal implications are pretty similar.

If it's his preference to say nothing than he shouldn't be made to talk, it makes the people who do talk a lot more trustworthy.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:28 PM   #251
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
They need to call this bluff. He’s relied on the competency of the republican political machine. Without that machine him & his brainless sack of sycophants have the ability to organize a rally and that’s about it. He’s use it as a mechanism to exploit people, then it will fail like every other business in his business model.
Or more like the Republican machine used him just to get things passed, most importantly judges. Now he is no use to them.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:24 AM   #252
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
But it's like as President; he doesn't care about winning as much as he cares about punishing his enemies, which right now that might be the GOP establishment more than anyone. And it wouldn't take much for him to bring the GOP to its knees. Just find a Boebert in every safe Republican or competitive district; the crazier the better, because the more crazies you have, the less you need to pay for publicity. He might win some seats, but more importantly he can drive the Republicans to a humiliating defeat.
It's something we've seen on the right-wing in Canada before: further-right upstart party vote-splits the establishment right-wing party, the establishment suffers a humiliating defeat while the upstart is seen as on the rise, and the establishment has no choice but to try to cut a deal with the upstart party on that party's terms, or face perpetual defeat.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:18 AM   #253
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Apparently not. You can be pardoned for crimes committed, but not been charged for. I was reading about this a week or two ago and it’s a bizarre system. I think Nixon was pardoned for crimes committed during his presidency (which would cover a set timeframe), but that’s one of the wrinkles.

It was never tested though in Nixon. For all intents and purposes, a blanket pardon could be a meaningless gesture. The first case would probably eventually end up in the Supreme Court and that would determine how any other untried pardons are handled.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:51 AM   #254
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I get it, but the a-liberal implications are pretty similar.

If it's his preference to say nothing than he shouldn't be made to talk, it makes the people who do talk a lot more trustworthy.
People are subpoenaed and compelled to testify all the time. The 5th doesn't protect you from testifying, just testifying where you testimony would self-incriminate. If pardoned can you self-incriminate?

A similar question would be can you be compelled to testifying n a matter where your testimony would be eelf-incriminating if you have already been tried, convicted, and fully served the sentence (or found not-guilty)?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #255
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1351871112423088130

https://twitter.com/user/status/1351871609154523138
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 06:28 AM   #256
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1351883040985927680
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:47 AM   #257
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is just so funny that his final sign off as president is done to the tune of YMCA.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 06:47 AM   #258
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woohoo! Get to use this guy one last time.

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #259
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
How do you count undocumented people and would undocumented people want to be counted? Unless there is some path to citizenship.

I believe only about 20% of eligible people signed up for DACA and that put them at risk when Trump took over.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:23 AM   #260
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Hopefully this is the end.

But I doubt it. Trump has brought and exposed and inflamed Extremism in the US. Trump Extremists are not going to give up. His cult of personality is no less than any of the big dictators of our time and the past.

Whether we want to admit it or not, he's changed the US and put it on a path that doesn't seem so rosey for the rest of us.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote