yes
Old 01-18-2021, 09:50 PM   #805
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Bargain?
9th highest cap hit at his position and a top 5 goalie (maybe better?)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:04 AM   #806
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Money well spent.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:25 AM   #807
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the theory that Markstrom would fit Calgary's system very well is materializing right in front of us.

Just feels like he's ready, confident and able to handle the type of workload he's going to get here. These two home games are the least stressed I've been watching the opponent possess the puck in our zone since.... I can't remember when.

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-19-2021 at 04:59 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #808
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The only real issue with either deal is length. These first two seasons should be really good though.
I disagree. Here's why:
  • Stretching, conditioning and management of hips in goaltending circles has improved drastically over the past 5 years.
  • This is why you're seeing more goalies play well into their mid/late 30's. See Rask, Anderson, Khudobin, Lundquist, Rinne, etc... If you're going to come back with Markstrom's injury history, all of these goalies have also dealt with major injuries.
  • Markstrom plays a compact and efficient game. Big Jonathan Quick-like bursts is not common in his game, but is in his repertoire. He relies mostly on his size, puck tracking, calmness, and positioning. A guy like Demko may degrade earlier because of a reliance of pure mobility and is also why Holtby has been a declining asset for some time now.

It's actually highly likely Markstrom lives up (or gets close) to his contract. 36 is actually a perfect time for the team to part ways with him.

I've watched Markstrom play quite closely over this and last season. I'm pretty blown away the Canucks let him go for this price, especially when someone like Bobrovsky went for well over that amount and Holtby was only slightly cheaper.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #809
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually think it expires when he's 35, which is even better.

Blaster was just trying to make himself feel better by pretending he'll fall off a cliff at 32.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #810
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

The wizard strikes again. Anyone remember what the rumoured deals were for guys like Bishop or Fleury?

It took a LOT of pain and suffering, but Treliving deserves serious kudos for his persistence. He's finally managed to add a legit #1 in the prime of his career to the core of this team and the only assets he gave up were money (which he would have had to do anyway, $6M easily fits the salary structure of this group) and flexibility (with the no trade clause).

Bonus points for stealing the player from a rival

Last edited by Flames0910; 01-19-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #811
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if Markstrom fielded larger offers. No doubt have a strong contingent of Swedish players here was a big reason for him coming here.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #812
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

A couple of years ago I invented my own fancy stat. I called it TOS. It stands for terrified of shots. My TOS has been sky high for years, as in I have been terrified of nearly every shot that is put in the general direction of our net. This year, the TOS has been the lowest it's been since Kiprusoff retired.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #813
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I actually think it expires when he's 35, which is even better. Blaster was just trying to make himself feel better by pretending he'll fall off a cliff at 32.
Also want to add. We saw over the last two games what goaltending does.

First game: Holtby played fine. First goal was impossible to stop. Second goal was bad crease management and the third was bad rebound management. None he should've had, but could've. An elite goalie would stop one of those two and it's a 2-0 game (which the Flames have a history of blowing those leads).

Second game: At best, Demko had a mediocre game. First goal was a bad post seal. Couldn't find the puck on the second. Third was impossible. Hamonic can take the blame for the fourth goal, but Demko was not sharp and didn't get his feet set. He was guessing.

If you contrast that with Markstrom, the only goals that beat him were shots that changed direction (both which the Flames essentially scored, lol). That's literally it. Also, Markstrom's rebound management down low has been stellar.

Mind you, I've also noticed the first couple games he was late to shots (probably a little bit of rust. You can see it with his feet getting set a little late) and still managed to pop a shutout.

The Flames skaters played well, but goaltending was a huge component for those wins. The Canucks have downgraded that position similar to the Flames Talbot/Rittich combo from last season. We all know how that went.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #814
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I disagree. Here's why:
  • Stretching, conditioning and management of hips in goaltending circles has improved drastically over the past 5 years.
  • This is why you're seeing more goalies play well into their mid/late 30's. See Rask, Anderson, Khudobin, Lundquist, Rinne, etc... If you're going to come back with Markstrom's injury history, all of these goalies have also dealt with major injuries.
  • Markstrom plays a compact and efficient game. Big Jonathan Quick-like bursts is not common in his game, but is in his repertoire. He relies mostly on his size, puck tracking, calmness, and positioning. A guy like Demko may degrade earlier because of a reliance of pure mobility and is also why Holtby has been a declining asset for some time now.

It's actually highly likely Markstrom lives up (or gets close) to his contract. 36 is actually a perfect time for the team to part ways with him.

I've watched Markstrom play quite closely over this and last season. I'm pretty blown away the Canucks let him go for this price, especially when someone like Bobrovsky went for well over that amount and Holtby was only slightly cheaper.
The expansion draft played largely into this.

Markstrom wanted a NMC to protect him from Seattle and with Demko on the verge Vancouver couldn’t risk it.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #815
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

Markstrom wanted a NMC to protect him from Seattle and with Demko on the verge Vancouver couldn’t risk it.
While this is understandable, it also screams of very poor asset management.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #816
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

That's a good point. I didn't think of it that way.

I did figure he saw Calgary as a place to have stability and job security for a while, which is important to a lot of players when they get older.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #817
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That's a good point. I didn't think of it that way.

I did figure he saw Calgary as a place to have stability and job security for a while, which is important to a lot of players when they get older.

I also recall someone saying Lindholm had something to do with this too
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #818
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
A couple of years ago I invented my own fancy stat. I called it TOS. It stands for terrified of shots. My TOS has been sky high for years, as in I have been terrified of nearly every shot that is put in the general direction of our net. This year, the TOS has been the lowest it's been since Kiprusoff retired.

There are advanced stats, and then there are ADVANCED stats!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #819
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just love that it was down to us and the Oilers (supposedly), which may have taken them out of the running for a bunch of other goalies (Holtby, Greiss, etc)
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #820
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think I vastly underestimated how steady and well, frankly, how good Markstrom is. The guy is a very good goalie and has looked good to great in all three starts so far.

Happy to eat some crow on this as I was not entirely convinced his presence would move the needle for the Flames this season but he clearly already has.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote