Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #3021
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

She won an Oscar and a Razzie in the same year.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #3022
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
But not for the same film.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #3023
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
It's quite an accomplishment. Her career has seemed floundered since then. Some decent roles but nothing really worth noting.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #3024
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I feel bad ragging on Nadal Fan, I know he's just a dedicated fanboy, but I find it entirely hilarious when people call a film an "Oscar Winner" for the absolutely most minor and insignificant and largely unrelated to the quality of the film Oscars out there.

"Oh, you didn't like Suicide Squad? Well, it's an Oscar winning film, so it obviously has some merit."

"Cool, what for?"

"....Hair and Makeup..."

Like nobody gives a #### about that Oscar. When you think of "Oscar winning film" you think of the movies that won Best Picture, or Best Director, or Best Script, or something really essential to the overall quality of the movie. When you see that some terrible turd of a movie won an Oscar, it's ALWAYS Hair and Makeup, or Production Design, or Costumes, or whatever. The "nice looking characters and sets" Oscars. Even worse might be best original song. It's literally for a good song, it has nothing to do with the quality of the rest of the movie.

The Oscars are stupid for a hundred other reasons, so "it's an Oscar winner!" is already a bit questionable as it is. But some awards... come on bro. Nobody is coming to the defence of Bond movies because they've won Oscars.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #3025
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will always be funny to me that Suicide Squad won an Oscar and every opportunity I get to remind people of that, I take
Old 01-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #3026
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It will always be funny to me that Suicide Squad won an Oscar and every opportunity I get to remind people of that, I take
If nothing else a stark reminder of how little the Oscars actually mean to anyone other than the people being awarded with their little toys.

"I won an Oscar!!"

- "So did the people who did the makeup on Suicide Squad...."

"Why does my mouth taste of nothing but ashes and shame?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #3027
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet if you were involved in hair and make up for movies it would be a great compliment. The hair and make up was very well done in Suicide Squad.

Almost everything else well.......hopefully one day I can watch the Ayer Cut of the film.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #3028
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I feel bad ragging on Nadal Fan, I know he's just a dedicated fanboy, but I find it entirely hilarious when people call a film an "Oscar Winner" for the absolutely most minor and insignificant and largely unrelated to the quality of the film Oscars out there.

"Oh, you didn't like Suicide Squad? Well, it's an Oscar winning film, so it obviously has some merit."

"Cool, what for?"

"....Hair and Makeup..."

Like nobody gives a #### about that Oscar. When you think of "Oscar winning film" you think of the movies that won Best Picture, or Best Director, or Best Script, or something really essential to the overall quality of the movie. When you see that some terrible turd of a movie won an Oscar, it's ALWAYS Hair and Makeup, or Production Design, or Costumes, or whatever. The "nice looking characters and sets" Oscars. Even worse might be best original song. It's literally for a good song, it has nothing to do with the quality of the rest of the movie.

The Oscars are stupid for a hundred other reasons, so "it's an Oscar winner!" is already a bit questionable as it is. But some awards... come on bro. Nobody is coming to the defence of Bond movies because they've won Oscars.
There's a reason why even WB doesn't market their movies as Oscar winners. That is usually reserved for acting, directing or writing awards.

Nobody is running an ad campaign on TV trying to market a movie for winning "best sound editing".

It's also the reason why the sound, makeup and production awards tend to ignore crap movies, even if they are deserving. Those awards usually go to period pieces. Why? Well because it dilutes the Oscar brand and prestige if Suicide Squad is marketed as an Academy Award winning film.

That being said, they have shown some love towards the tentpoles in those sound/production categories recently but it is usually limited to 1 or 2 categories and is almost never used as a marketing tool as by the studio.

I'm convinced it is part of their campaigns and bribes to academy voters. Disney/WB is like "hey, let Suicide Squad (or whatever) win best sound design and we promise we won't start running tv commercials claiming our film is an Oscar Winner, by the way, here's your briefcase full of money."
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #3029
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The craziest part about the Suicide Squad oscar, is that the makeup and hair probably one of the worst parts of the film....if you can believe that. The aesthetics of that movie were just awful. Leto's hair and makeup looked like a high school drama teacher's idea of a halloween costume. The character design on each of the villains actively made the film worse.

There was also a Star Trek movie that year...surely it had better makeup/hair.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:57 PM   #3030
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The craziest part about the Suicide Squad oscar, is that the makeup and hair probably one of the worst parts of the film....if you can believe that. The aesthetics of that movie were just awful. Leto's hair and makeup looked like a high school drama teacher's idea of a halloween costume. The character design on each of the villains actively made the film worse.

There was also a Star Trek movie that year...surely it had better makeup/hair.
"Its supposed to look schlocky and stupid!!!"

I see. Well....well done then.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #3031
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"Its supposed to look schlocky and stupid!!!"

I see. Well....well done then.
They couldn't even do that right....The characters are supposed to look dumb, because the squad are mostly disposable side characters, usually with lame gimmicks...I get that. The problem was they went edgy. They literally wrote the Joker's style of edginess across his forehead.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #3032
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #3033
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Good reviews for WandaVision:

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/wandav...eason-1?ref=hp
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #3034
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cap/Evans likely returning to the MCU to a big screen (optimistically) near you!

https://deadline.com/2021/01/captain...ct-1234672430/
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:22 PM   #3035
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give me Captain America: Time Cop.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #3036
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Cap/Evans likely returning to the MCU to a big screen (optimistically) near you!

https://deadline.com/2021/01/captain...ct-1234672430/

Why, let him rest for a while. He had a nice life where he completely screwed up the time line and wrecked a dudes life. (Peggy Carter's husband) Captain America, more like Captain greedy von jerkface.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:32 PM   #3037
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Why, let him rest for a while. He had a nice life where he completely screwed up the time line and wrecked a dudes life. (Peggy Carter's husband) Captain America, more like Captain greedy von jerkface.
What now? It's pretty well established that Steve WAS Peggy's husband, and always has been. Even the writers think so

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...theory-1209241
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #3038
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
What now? It's pretty well established that Steve WAS Peggy's husband, and always has been. Even the writers think so

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...theory-1209241
Actually, no. That’s incorrect. It’s one of the prevailing theories.

The writers said it was their intention but they recognize that is impossible without creating a bunch of non sensical plot holes and paradoxes.

Plus what if the director says something else? And Feige?

We’ve had this silly discussion before. Things that happen off screen and aren’t in the movies aren’t canon just because someone who worked on the movie says so. The director may have filmed it differently, Chris evans may have played it differently, the editor may have cut it differently, the casting director etc etc.

The fact people think that press releases and interviews now form an integral part of the MCU canon is without question the lamest part of the MCU. Even comic books don’t stoop this low and they retcon #### like once a year and regularly resurrect dead people.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-15-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #3039
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Besides if Steve had been her husband then her dying scene would suddenly make no sense.

She married another guy, I think it was hinted that it was the crippled dude from Agent Carter, then Captain America cruelly and selfishly went back in time and destroyed that man's destiny. What a hero

Old 01-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #3040
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Besides if Steve had been her husband then her dying scene would suddenly make no sense.

She married another guy, I think it was hinted that it was the crippled dude from Agent Carter, then Captain America cruelly and selfishly went back in time and destroyed that man's destiny. What a hero
The crippled dude from Agent Carter ended up travelling to the future in Agents of Shield and hooking up with Daisy. I'd say his destiny was pretty damn good
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote