1 for 3!
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:28 AM   #62
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I mean this is just factually wrong. I'm not remotely a Chip Kelly fan, but they won the division and a playoff game in his first year with a pretty average team.
Sure, but I meant that Lurie probably should’ve punted Roseman out when he demoted him with the Kelly hiring. When Kelly didn’t do so hot after year 1 and took controller an NFL roster as GM that he really wasn’t ready for, Roseman was waiting in the wings to tell Lurie what he wanted to hear, which is why Lurie now trusts Roseman implicitly.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/spor...raft_2015.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This is the first time I’ve heard the Rooney rule called tricky. I think it’s pretty elementary and doesn’t require a search firm to navigate from what I can tell. And arguably it exposes you to more risk by not hiring their recommendation and having the decision maker involved from the beginning which is one of the few stipulations of the rule.
Tricky meaning that now more then ever there is scrutiny by media (social and otherwise) by teams to find legitimate candidates under the Rooney rule, not just the 2nd assistant quality control coach for the linebackers, to satisfy the rule and allow them to hire the guy they really want. If teams have some third party sourcing out and suggesting candidates, it doesn’t fall on them PR wise, quite as directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Rejoice Seahawks fans, Schottenheimer got Schitt-canned.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349146332783665154
Someone has to take the fall I guess. He may have not been the solution but not sure he was the problem. As I have stated here a few times, Wilson believes he’s going to run the offence his way and he won this power struggle. The offence sputtered in the last 6 weeks after the defense picked up. Personnel is part of the issues, he was decently protected the last half so it’s not then online, it’s often him overthinking on the field and not using as much instinct as he used to (running, for example, when nothing is open)

The taste he got of success when he got his way at the beginning of the year is overshadowing the fact that when teams caught up to them and he didn’t adjust, he was a deer in headlights and lost 2 of 3 and to some bad teams.

Good luck to the next OC, though he’s a student of the game, Wilson’s entitlement and stubbornness (under that positive, golly gee schucks persona for the cameras) in beiiving what will work and how the game should be called, will soon trump anything the new guy will try and implement.

Last edited by browna; 01-13-2021 at 12:31 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #63
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

On another note, John Schneider is to stick around in Seattle another 6 years. Him and Carroll have been fantastic this past decade post Jim Mora Jr, with finding and coaching up projects, and not being afraid of roster turnover from Day 1.

And importantly, cutting bait with players a year or so before many other teams would (Sherman, train wreck Earl Thomas, Bennett) let their top players overstay their value.

Be interesting to see how they navigate the QB position going forward. In addition to Carroll and Schneider not being afraid to make a bold move, Wilson has often hinted here or there that he could be the type to find somewhere else to go to, no matter the supposed roots he puts down in Seattle. Having a celeb wife factors in too.

May not be this year or next, but every offseason before his next contract comes up, I am sure the rumours would heat up and the Seahawks executive would love to have the $35M in cap space if they have their heir apparent at QB.

The SB win, and the should’ve been second one the next year, were in very large part to the rookie deal Wilson was still under until 2014 when he made $600k. He’s made $160MM in the 6 years since. That cost savings allowed the smart guys and guys that find projects, Caroll and Schneider, to use that money to lock in the great defense they had to multi year contracts, and load up on other quality defensive players and offensive talent, and being able to be overpaying for some guys (Percy Harvin) to have that extra luxury weapon or two, with that saved money, for a couple years.

And while the windows open and close, Seattle’s opened back up the past year or two even with that massive salary because Wilson does produce at a gphigh level when he’s on, and they have built the team back up with cheaper players on both sides of the ball and found the right mix...but you can’t help but think if they had even $10 or $15M more cap space if Wilson would be paid $25m, that JS and PC would get a few very good players for that $ to help solidify positions of need/depth and get the team over the playoff hump.

Last edited by browna; 01-13-2021 at 12:59 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #64
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rejoice Seahawks fans, Schottenheimer got Schitt-canned.

... I mean, I guess it depends who they hire as to how much things actually change. But yeah... That was absolutely necessary.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #65
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brady would be my first choice.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349432358571827204
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #66
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I can’t get fired up about GM hiring but George Paton is getting a 6 year deal in Denver. Cool I guess?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #67
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anytime you can hire a WWII winning general, you gotta do it.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #68
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
1 for 3!
I guess they are a package deal. I could see bringing Nagy back as he has got them into the playoffs twice but Pace has been pretty awful. It will be interesting to see what their plan is for the QB position next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #69
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I can’t get fired up about GM hiring but George Paton is getting a 6 year deal in Denver. Cool I guess?
Andrew Mason
@MaseDenver

George Paton is the first Broncos general manager who was not either an internal promotion or had been with the organization before since Grady Alderman.

Alderman was brought in by Edgar Kaiser to replace Fred Gehrke in 1981, right after Kaiser brought the team.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #70
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Andrew Mason
@MaseDenver

George Paton is the first Broncos general manager who was not either an internal promotion or had been with the organization before since Grady Alderman.

Alderman was brought in by Edgar Kaiser to replace Fred Gehrke in 1981, right after Kaiser brought the team.
I am happy about that. No ties to Elway or the org, I can’t help but think he’s been brought in to be the hatchet man on Von.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #71
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a dumpster fire of an organization. Lurie is getting into Jerry Jones territory.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349437407775567875
Old 01-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #72
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:08 PM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
What a dumpster fire of an organization. Lurie is getting into Jerry Jones territory.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349437407775567875
So it did come down to Pederson vs Wentz. Not really surprising given the investment in Wentz as that's probably how it would go for a lot of organizations.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #74
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So it did come down to Pederson vs Wentz. Not really surprising given the investment in Wentz as that's probably how it would go for a lot of organizations.
There are rumours out there that Wentz could still be traded, so who knows? It's definitely not a good look though.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #75
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Howie has control of personnel decisions right? Would seem very odd to draft Hurts and then turn around a year later and be backing Wentz. Or maybe Howie is getting shown the door too? Just an odd situation all around.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #76
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Howie has control of personnel decisions right? Would seem very odd to draft Hurts and then turn around a year later and be backing Wentz. Or maybe Howie is getting shown the door too? Just an odd situation all around.
Lurie basically sees Howie as a son. He's not going anywhere.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:28 AM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a copycat league and I wouldn't be surprised if Hurts was taken to be a Taysom Hill change of pace type of QB or simply to have a capable backup if Wentz got hurt. I can't imagine Hurts was drafted to replace a guy they guaranteed $66 million.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #78
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
The Jacksonville Jaguars and Urban Meyer are in advanced talks to see whether they can finalize a deal this week, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Following another meeting with the Jaguars on Wednesday, Meyer is highly interested in the possibility of coaching in the NFL, sources said.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ng-sources-say
Old 01-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #79
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a copycat league and I wouldn't be surprised if Hurts was taken to be a Taysom Hill change of pace type of QB or simply to have a capable backup if Wentz got hurt. I can't imagine Hurts was drafted to replace a guy they guaranteed $66 million.
That was the rumour at the time but supposedly it wasn't the case. Apparently the scouts wanted Jeremy Chin and Howie wanted Hurts.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #80
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now who knows how good an NFL coach Urban is going to be, but this just shows what a jackpot getting Trevor is. No way in hell does Urban consider the Jags without him.