Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #21
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Dom has already done the work for us, and the answer is Drew Doughty. Not that Doughty is an awful defenseman, but he's overpaid by so much and the deal lasts so long that it's just a black hole of negative value. Vlasic is second ($7M x 6 years), as he's taken a huge nose dive in performance the past few seasons and is now about replacement level - he's basically the new Brent Seabrook.

Interestingly, 8 of the top 10 worst are all defensemen, with only Skinner and Ryan Johansen representing the forwards. I think if you asked the question a few years ago, they'd mostly be forwards, but a lot of that bad crop of 2016 deals (Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo, Ladd) only have a couple of years left on them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 01-13-2021 at 09:37 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Parise contract has to be bottom 10 in the NHL by now.

36 years old, Cap Hit: $7,538,461, under contract 5 more years.

That said, his production is still decent, so he is no where near Bobrovski, Karlsson or Skinner.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #23
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables16 View Post
I'll defend Botterill to the extent that he supposedly had that contract foisted upon him. I feel like I've seen a few different sources saying that there was a mandate from ownership to keep Skinner, those were his demands, and Botterill's hands were somewhat tied. It is probably the worst contract though, there's no getting around that.

San Jose's contracts on defense are shockingly bad though:

- Karlsson / 30 years old / 11.5 million x 7 years remaining / full NMC
- Burns / 35 years old / 8 million x 5 years / modified-NTC
- Vlasic / 33 years old / 7 million x 7 years / full NMC
Yikes. San Jose is royally effed for the future.

Not that those three players aren't still good players, but in a year or two, those are going to be some weighty contracts keeping them from being competitive.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #24
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I know it's nitpicking but we don't actually pay him $16.25M over the next 3 seasons - that's his cap hit. His actual pay is less than that, around $13M. I think Skinners actual pay is around $52M going by Puckpedia.

I guess I think of contract in terms of cap hit and actual dollars paid, I know if I was an owner that actual dollars paid would be a big factor - look at Ottawa's owner for an example of that sort of thinking.

Where would a players contract fall on the spectrum if you could add him to your team and his actual dollars were only say $1M per year but his cap hit was $7M for another 5 years as the previous team paid it all up front? I know it's looking at it from the far end of the spectrum and is unrealistic, but I'm just wondering how that sort of scenario would make people look at it.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #25
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bobby Ryan would have come to mind as one of the worst, if he was not finished with that monstrosity.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #26
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Erik Karlsson is not the worst but has to be among them

11.5 is a lot for a guy who is one dimensional. And for that one dimension, when he was a sure bet for a point per game, you could make a case for a high salary. Last year’s 40 points in 56 games pro rates to 58 points, and he is not all that good defensively
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #27
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
And your argument?
Expansion proof
Buyout proof
Grossly overpaid for his present state of game

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #28
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matt Duschene 29 6 more years at 8M very little positive impact at Nashville

JVR 31 3 more years at 7M

Timo Meier 10M in 2023-24

Brent Burns 35 8M for 5 years
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #29
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bobrovsky... and its not even close in my opinion.

$10 million AAV for 6 more years. He put up a .900 3.23 year in his first season with the Panthers.

With an overpaid skater you can bury them lower in the lineup. Yes, Lucic is overpaid for a bottom 6 forward, but he's effective in that role. His utilization is helping the team, not harming it.

But even if Bobrovsky continues to provide just average goaltending, Florida is obligated to keep playing him extensively for the next 2-3 years. Not only that, it's hard to justify spending $2-3 million on a backup to split the load when you are spending so much on your starter.

I hope he bounces back. But if not, the Panthers are going to spend the prime of Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad in mediocrity.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #30
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Lucic
Yawn.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #31
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Expansion proof
Buyout proof
Fair enough. Those are pretty valid points to push his contract up near the top. I had forgotten about those things to be honest.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #32
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
Bobrovsky... and its not even close in my opinion.

$10 million AAV for 6 more years. He put up a .900 3.23 year in his first season with the Panthers.

With an overpaid skater you can bury them lower in the lineup. Yes, Lucic is overpaid for a bottom 6 forward, but he's effective in that role. His utilization is helping the team, not harming it.

But even if Bobrovsky continues to provide just average goaltending, Florida is obligated to keep playing him extensively for the next 2-3 years. Not only that, it's hard to justify spending $2-3 million on a backup to split the load when you are spending so much on your starter.

I hope he bounces back. But if not, the Panthers are going to spend the prime of Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad in mediocrity.
Oh we were planning to do that already. It's in the team's DNA.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #33
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

They do get three years of Spencer Knight (and / or Devon Levi) on an ELC, so there's that, in any case.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #34
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Expansion proof
Buyout proof
First things first, I am not here to tell anyone this is a good contract. it isn't its obviously the worst one on the Flames. I just wanna talk about the bolded.

Lucic is not nessicarily buyout proof, it just isn't worth it. If we bought him out right before the expansion draft (2 years left on his contract) it would have a cap hit of.

21/22 $3,572,917 $1,916,667 savings
22/23 $4,885,417 $416,667 savings
23/24 $510,417
24/25 $510,417

The Oilers would also pay some $1,354,168 over and above that during that span of time.

So yeah, you certainly wouldn't save a handful of cap if you bought him out in the event that he did not waive his NMC, but in an addition by subtraction scenario it does afford the Flames some space, as well as not having to protect him and the term would not be longer than his contract ( basically).

While not ideal, it is not the absolute mess some other teams have with the term they are facing.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #35
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

David Staples, and before anyone argues he’s not in the league, I counter that by saying he’s in the bush league.
Proof: Read any past present or future articles. Grossly overpaid.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #36
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, Dom has already done the work for us, and the answer is Drew Doughty. Not that Doughty is an awful defenseman, but he's overpaid by so much and the deal lasts so long that it's just a black hole of negative value. Vlasic is second ($7M x 6 years), as he's taken a huge nose dive in performance the past few seasons and is now about replacement level - he's basically the new Brent Seabrook.

Interestingly, 8 of the top 10 worst are all defensemen, with only Skinner and Ryan Johansen representing the forwards. I think if you asked the question a few years ago, they'd mostly be forwards, but a lot of that bad crop of 2016 deals (Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo, Ladd) only have a couple of years left on them.
That all these elite defensemen took a nosedive after they turned 30 (or even earlier) makes it all the more impressive that Giordano has been able to maintain such strong underlying numbers at his age.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #37
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
That all these elite defensemen took a nosedive after they turned 30 (or even earlier) makes it all the more impressive that Giordano has been able to maintain such strong underlying numbers at his age.

Giordano didn't even break out as an elite defenceman until a few years after his 30th birthday.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #38
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Fair enough. Those are pretty valid points to push his contract up near the top. I had forgotten about those things to be honest.
Can’t be waived to put on taxi squad.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #39
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm gonna throw Auston Matthews's contract in here because it's really, really high for buying only one UFA year. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #40
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up...you can slag Neal in this thread too. Doesn't have to be just in the Deadmonton is no good thread.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote