Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #381
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I genuinely had no idea Ron Paul was alive. Good for him.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #382
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
[latest ivermectin post]
Please just stop.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #383
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
well I suppose I was highlighting that being older means a huge chunk of modern on line culture escapes me but it is so shallow and vapid that it's a good thing.
A lot of it is but some of it isn't. I think it's horribly unfair to paint it all with the same wide brush.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #384
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
A lot of it is but some of it isn't. I think it's horribly unfair to paint it all with the same wide brush.
I do know who Joe Rogan is and I am quite happy to paint him with that brush
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #385
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You made a blanket statement about all online media influencers.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:51 PM   #386
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Rogan is the ignorant man’s version of intelligence.

At the very least he tries to improve his understanding over time & admit when he’s wrong when he’s wrong. Last summer on one random podcast he said something to the effect of...
For all the people who have issues with the things I’ve said, I also have issues with the things I’ve said.
He’s at least willing to acknowledge his mistakes or when he was incorrect in the past so he can learn, grow, & improve. There are plenty people who are way worse than him out there. His interview with Cornel West in 2019 was really good.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:14 AM   #387
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Rogan is the ignorant man’s version of intelligence.

At the very least he tries to improve his understanding over time & admit when he’s wrong when he’s wrong. Last summer on one random podcast he said something to the effect of...
For all the people who have issues with the things I’ve said, I also have issues with the things I’ve said.
He’s at least willing to acknowledge his mistakes or when he was incorrect in the past so he can learn, grow, & improve. There are plenty people who are way worse than him out there. His interview with Cornel West in 2019 was really good.
That's positive, but wouldn't it be even better if he put in more effort to understand the issues more before communicating with his audience of millions? It's better to get it right in the first place. Also, he often provides a huge platform to bad faith actors and conspiracy theorists. How many times has he had Alex Jones on his show? He's interviewed Gavin McInnis (founder of the Proud Boys), Steven Crowder and others who espouse dangerous and irresponsible rhetoric similar to that which influenced the DC riots. I've heard him call both of McInnis and Crowder 'comedians' and laugh off their extreme and often violent positions. It's irresponsible for someone with such a large voice.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #388
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
That's positive, but wouldn't it be even better if he put in more effort to understand the issues more before communicating with his audience of millions? It's better to get it right in the first place. Also, he often provides a huge platform to bad faith actors and conspiracy theorists. How many times has he had Alex Jones on his show? He's interviewed Gavin McInnis (founder of the Proud Boys), Steven Crowder and others who espouse dangerous and irresponsible rhetoric similar to that which influenced the DC riots. I've heard him call both of McInnis and Crowder 'comedians' and laugh off their extreme and often violent positions. It's irresponsible for someone with such a large voice.
we usually hear that as a defense when someone has a horrible belief or says horrible things outside of a standup stage.
"it's comedy. it's satire" ya right.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #389
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

If you are getting your information from a Joe Rogan podcast about literally anything that isn't weed culture or the UFC, you aren't doing much critical thinking.

The guy panders to the lowest common denominator. He has the biggest platform in the world right now and has decided, rather than use it for some good for all, to make more money in any way he can. He's not an idiot, but he sure plays one on the radio.

He's as free from morals and a conscious as any multi-millionaire goofball living off of the goodwill of people willing to laugh at his nonsense.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #390
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

AirBnB and Hotel Tonight are canceling DC reservations next week.

Quote:
"Today, in response to various local, state and federal officials asking people not to travel to Washington, D.C., we are announcing that Airbnb will cancel reservations in the Washington, D.C. metro area during the inauguration week," Airbnb said in the statement. "Additionally, we will prevent any new reservations in the Washington, D.C., area from being booked during that time by blocking such reservations."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...gs/6654147002/
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #391
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
If you are getting your information from a Joe Rogan podcast about literally anything that isn't weed culture or the UFC, you aren't doing much critical thinking.

The guy panders to the lowest common denominator. He has the biggest platform in the world right now and has decided, rather than use it for some good for all, to make more money in any way he can. He's not an idiot, but he sure plays one on the radio.

He's as free from morals and a conscious as any multi-millionaire goofball living off of the goodwill of people willing to laugh at his nonsense.
What the #### are you talking about? You know it’s a show where he engages with others right, some of whom happen to be exceptionally educated, experienced or interesting.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #392
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Joe Rogan is an entertainment talk show for men. It is not a scientifically peer reviewed journal, nor does it pretend to be.

He's not my cup of tea (well, his stand up is phenomenal but I don't like his podcast). But he's not exactly Alex Jones here. The guy is a goofball but not dangerous.

It's like getting mad because Ellen is still interviewing celebrities instead of trying to change the world. Who cares? Everyone has their niche.

Even someone like Jon Oliver isn't exactly high level intellectualism at it's finest. He's smart, in depth and topical but still makes lots of jokes about Adam Driver and squirrels in thongs.

Lets not lose sight of what we're talking about here. It isn't like the Economist or New Yorker have been co-opted by Joe Rogan or anything.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #393
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I enjoy his chats with car guys like Matt Farah.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #394
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Youtube suspends Trump's account. All comments on previous videos are now disabled
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-indefinitely/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #395
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Joe Rogan is an entertainment talk show for men. It is not a scientifically peer reviewed journal, nor does it pretend to be.

He's not my cup of tea (well, his stand up is phenomenal but I don't like his podcast). But he's not exactly Alex Jones here. The guy is a goofball but not dangerous.

It's like getting mad because Ellen is still interviewing celebrities instead of trying to change the world. Who cares? Everyone has their niche.

Even someone like Jon Oliver isn't exactly high level intellectualism at it's finest. He's smart, in depth and topical but still makes lots of jokes about Adam Driver and squirrels in thongs.

Lets not lose sight of what we're talking about here. It isn't like the Economist or New Yorker have been co-opted by Joe Rogan or anything.
You’re not wrong, except where Ellen might be interviewing ‘celebrities’, Rogan hosted the likes of Brian Cox, Neil deGrasse, Anthony Bourdain, Rhonda Patrick, Nick Yarris, Sean Carroll etc etc
These are people who are exceptionally intelligent, or exceptionally experienced. I can’t imagine how someone could downplay these discussions as meaningless pothead banter because they heard someone call Rogan a meathead or something.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #396
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
You’re not wrong, except where Ellen might be interviewing ‘celebrities’, Rogan hosted the likes of Brian Cox, Neil deGrasse, Anthony Bourdain, Rhonda Patrick, Nick Yarris, Sean Carroll etc etc
These are people who are exceptionally intelligent, or exceptionally experienced. I can’t imagine how someone could downplay these discussions as meaningless pothead banter because they heard someone call Rogan a meathead or something.
I've listened to exactly 1 Joe Rogan podcast, and it was in March of last year talking to an epidemiologist about the oncoming Covid-19 crisis. Basically "we're all f-ed". It was very informative, and put me ahead of most of my co-workers in terms of prep for lockdown. This was before the NBA shuttered, which was the tipping point for most of the US public.

My takeaway is that Joe is something of a meathead, but that he's willing to both invite and have open discussions with interesting guests.

I view Bill Maher (who correctly predicted Trump's coup several years ago) and Jon Oliver much the same way.

"Edutainment"

Edit - here it is with Michael Osterholm

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax

Last edited by Flashpoint; 01-13-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #397
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #398
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
What the #### are you talking about? You know it’s a show where he engages with others right, some of whom happen to be exceptionally educated, experienced or interesting.
So angry.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #399
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Joe Rogan, Bill Maher, John Oliver, etc etc. are all the equivalent of a "Rocks for Jocks" class.

Easy, accessible, and in this case focused just as much on your entertainment (like Flashpoint said) as they are about education or the broadening of your mind.

I see where the criticism is coming from. Rogan absolutely plays to the everyman. He's good at what he does in the sense that he's not diving deep on anything, just asking pretty basic, logical questions. And even that stumps some guests (like that idiot Shapiro). He has a wide range of guests, and I think he gets a bad rap because he invites some people who have pretty questionable views on things and doesn't always press them well enough.

In line with what I said a couple of days ago, his podcast is a lot like the idea of "just asking questions." There's not a ton of critical thinking required, and if you take it as is and stop short of exploring certain issues or ideas on your own, nobody is going to mistake you for a critical thinker just because you listened to a Joe Rogan podcast with an interesting guest (or a John Oliver episode on an interesting subject). If it's something that piques your curiosity, it's then on you to dive deeper and put the thought in.

But in defence of Rogan, that's not what he's about. He's entry-level entertainment into a world of big ideas. That can be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on what people do next. But it's not his job to fill in the blanks. Never has been.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #400
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So angry.
Just incredulity.

Arrogance, ignorance or pure parroting. The only ways I can think of that you could make a blanket statement like that.

Last edited by 81MC; 01-13-2021 at 12:39 PM.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote