Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #701
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha! Just started, yet another, quit myself. I learn something each time and do better. Each attempt seems a bit easier than the last. Just need to keep up with it, that's the hard part.

Best of luck to everyone trying to quit!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #702
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I recently decided to cut out vaping as I've been smoke free for the better part of 5 years, with a few lapses sprinkled in over the years. I've been vaping on and off since I quit smoking.

But for the last year or two I've been vaping regularly and that has become problematic with WFH because I can vape all day long. Thankfully I was only on 3mg.

Yesterday was day 1 of zero nicotine for the first time in about 4 years.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #703
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fell off the wagon a few months ago due to the bs excuse of a bunch of life stressors all at once, but really I just fooled myself into thinking it would be ok. Seeing this thread bumped up inspired me to quit cold turkey last night. So here goes nothing.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #704
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Fell off the wagon a few months ago due to the bs excuse of a bunch of life stressors all at once, but really I just fooled myself into thinking it would be ok. Seeing this thread bumped up inspired me to quit cold turkey last night. So here goes nothing.
You can do it, you will feel so much better about yourself after getting through the first week.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #705
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
You got this iggy!
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #706
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Wow getting to sleep last night was hard. Hot, cold, hot, cold. Then I had this weird energy. Jimmy legs as I like to call it.

And I can't stop eating. I'm definitely using food to fill the nicotine void. Fighting hard to curb that one.

I am excited to not be a slave to nicotine anymore though. I hate not enjoying hockey games or flights or concerts or movie theatres because all I can think about is the next time I can get my sweet nicotine fix.

Plus the new BC rules make buying vape juice a giant PIA. I'm glad to be done with it.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #707
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Then I had this weird energy. Jimmy legs as I like to call it.

Am familiar with

I find going for a walk helps. When not smoking, I tend to sit for much longer periods than normal and I think that creates an issue. A good brisk walk helps alleviate a bit of that I think, especially if you can do it an hour or so before bed.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #708
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure it's been brought up in this thread before, maybe even by me...but "No More Ashtrays" by Allen Carr.

Read that book 7 years & two months ago, and haven't touched a cigarette since. Cold turkey.

$6.99 Ebook, worth every penny.

It's not a big long novel to read either, it's short, sweet and effective.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #709
flizzenflozz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Pretty sure it's been brought up in this thread before, maybe even by me...but "No More Ashtrays" by Allen Carr.

Read that book 7 years & two months ago, and haven't touched a cigarette since. Cold turkey.

Seconded.
The copy I read was "easy way to quit smoking' and it has been 8 EASY years later. Not one hard day or any cravings. It's a real thing.

I'm sorry to read how much difficulty people have had with their various struggles with smoking but I hope by you bumping this thread that ONE person will give this a shot. I mean, what the hell is there to lose?

Super easy read and I've heard there's a video version of it somewhere in the cybers with some pretty cheesy production but you're not there for entertainment value.

This thread has reminded me to thank the guy that recommended it all those years ago.

Quit screwing around with vapes and cold turkey, willpower struggle. Spend the equivalent of a pizza on the book and/or go to Allen Carr's site and read the testimonials of all the people that have quit if you need that kind of validation.
flizzenflozz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flizzenflozz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 11:10 PM   #710
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m having a heck of a time convincing myself I want to quit. I think it’s filling a void somewhere I can’t quite figure out. I can easily go all day without a cigarette, but late at night I just like to stand outside and burn a handful.
People talk about that morning cigarette, or smoke and coffee, or stress relief yada yada. . I want to quit, anytime but the nighttime. Bedtime, nah, I’ll go smoke till I’m nauseous.

Ordered Carr’s book. Hopefully it can shine some light.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #711
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

When I was smoking but wanted to quit, I read his book Allan Carrs easy way to stop smoking. The first time I read it, I made it maybe 30 pages in and his sanctimonious attitude annoyed me to the point i dropped it and smoked for about 3 more years.

I eventually wanted to quit again and read the whole book front to back. He still came across as a preachy twat, but everything he said made sense and helped me quit. I dont know how many years its been now (almost 5 years since my last cigarette and way longer since I was habitual) but it helps. If you want to quit, and aren't just considering the idea of quitting, his book is a great motivator.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:26 PM   #712
pacde
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I hit the 3 year mark this past April. Even at that sometimes I catch a whiff from someone smoking and I think ahhh, that smells good. Not remotely enough to make me ever want to break but funny how after all this time that still happens.
Its been 16 years for me... and once in a while, especially when someone is smoking with friends... i smell it and feel it.
Amazing addiction
pacde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacde For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2020, 01:54 AM   #713
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I quit about 2 months ago, and the not smoking is going surprisingly well. I haven't had much in the way of cravings, and even the smoke from other people didn't set me off. Unfortunately I didn't quit soon enough though, as I had a minor stroke on Tuesday. Now the left side of my body is numb. If you're even thinking of quitting, just do it now. This sh*t ain't worth it.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2020, 04:35 AM   #714
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I'm still going strong. If anyone cares. Haha.

I honestly never think about it in the normal day to day. Forget often that I ever did it.

Only time I remember is when I'm around my buddies who smoke and while I have no inclination to smoke again, the smell reminds me why I don't.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #715
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I'm still going strong. If anyone cares. Haha.

I honestly never think about it in the normal day to day. Forget often that I ever did it.

Only time I remember is when I'm around my buddies who smoke and while I have no inclination to smoke again, the smell reminds me why I don't.
We are in a similar situation. I'm comfortable with being a non smoker and don't feel like I'd pick up a smoke. I find the smell revolting.

Mind if I ask if you drink at all? When I quit smoking I also quit drinking. I think I had my last alcoholic drink around this time last year maybe, but it was one drink with my grandfather. I have not been drunk though in as many years as I've been a non smoker. So it's been a while.

If you still drink, are you able to more or less get a buzz on without wanting a smoke? With COVID and your normal stressors I've been thinking about drinking more and more. Plus I still have all my good booze from when I drank.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #716
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
We are in a similar situation. I'm comfortable with being a non smoker and don't feel like I'd pick up a smoke. I find the smell revolting.

Mind if I ask if you drink at all? When I quit smoking I also quit drinking. I think I had my last alcoholic drink around this time last year maybe, but it was one drink with my grandfather. I have not been drunk though in as many years as I've been a non smoker. So it's been a while.

If you still drink, are you able to more or less get a buzz on without wanting a smoke? With COVID and your normal stressors I've been thinking about drinking more and more. Plus I still have all my good booze from when I drank.
Well if you stopped drinking for your own reasons, do your best to keep going strong, dude.

I do drink still, quite regularly, and around several smokers. Even when I am drinking I don't seem to feel the inclination anymore, although the alcohol does make me a more obnoxious former smoker (razzing the guys who still smoke, asking them constantly why they are bothering to do that anymore and what not). It was smart to quit both at the same time, for sure they were co-triggers.

If you do start having any drinks, make sure smokers and smokes are a long way away and get your body used to having alcohol without nicotine.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #717
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I quit drinking first, then smoking. I couldn’t have done them both at the same time and I wouldn’t have been able to quit smoking if I hadn’t quit drinking.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #718
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's incredible, Cecil. Those are two hard habits to quit. Extremely well done.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #719
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok so here is a new one for me.

Quit back in November...near the end of December and all the sudden, drinking coffee just gives me some serious anxious energy. It's awful. Hard to concentrate, really fidgety, feel tense. It eventually fades but what the hell? I've never experienced this before. I'd be devastated to have to stop drinking coffee.

Anyone else have this happen?
Old 01-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #720
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Ok so here is a new one for me.

Quit back in November...near the end of December and all the sudden, drinking coffee just gives me some serious anxious energy. It's awful. Hard to concentrate, really fidgety, feel tense. It eventually fades but what the hell? I've never experienced this before. I'd be devastated to have to stop drinking coffee.

Anyone else have this happen?
I *don't* drink much coffee... or caffeine drinks. I usually save it for either exhaustion or just before some big physical event (ie mega bike ride or cross country ski). Starbucks, for me, is the WORST... exactly what you have written but add some stomache grumbles too. A&W, McD's and Tim Hortons are all much better although I do feel some of that too. Occasionally however the caffeine will give me the superpower for super concentration and focus.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote