Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #1061
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I inherited a beast of a blower and I just did about 12 houses. The hardest part was actually locating the sidewalk; we got a consistent 16 inches with some areas drifting higher.

Now to just sit back and enjoy becoming an internet sensation for my good deed
Mine is just a basic Snow Joe 13V electric thrower. Lots of the snow was higher than the auger so it took a while. It made me happy that I had it so I didn't have to do most of everything manually. It would have been nice to have a more powerful and gas one with no cord though, but overall, I am happy and satisfied with the one I have.

I did my driveway, sidewalk, some of my neighbors area as well as a large swathe of road in front of my driveway so I don't get stuck backing out. The area is also so that others can use the slightly flattened area to get momentum and are less likely to get stuck in front of my place.

Then I did the same at my parents place with their snow thrower.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #1062
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

After last night's storm, clear skies tonight meant I could break out the telescope and see Saturn and Jupiter! COOLNESS! I was also treated to Mars and the moon at half-phase!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #1063
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Mine is just a basic Snow Joe 13V electric thrower. Lots of the snow was higher than the auger so it took a while. It made me happy that I had it so I didn't have to do most of everything manually. It would have been nice to have a more powerful and gas one with no cord though, but overall, I am happy and satisfied with the one I have.

I did my driveway, sidewalk, some of my neighbors area as well as a large swathe of road in front of my driveway so I don't get stuck backing out. The area is also so that others can use the slightly flattened area to get momentum and are less likely to get stuck in front of my place.

Then I did the same at my parents place with their snow thrower.
My long driveway means I need to kinda move the snow down it with the snowblower. Unfortunately that was the direction the wind was coming from, so I mostly ate face fulls of fine powder as I moved it. Still better than shoveling.

I've got the 15A Snowjoe corded. As I was hitting the drifts, I just imagined a battery power one losing all it's juice in about 5 minutes. Would love to go cordless, maybe in 5 years the batteries will be good enough. It's also nice that it is very light, though. easy to toss around.

Last edited by Fuzz; 12-22-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #1064
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

^get a gas one then if you don't want the cord or a battery. Some of the smaller gas ones aren't that heavy

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #1065
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
^get a gas one then if you don't want the cord or a battery. Some of the smaller gas ones aren't that heavy
I don't use it very often, and wasn't sure I even wanted one, so when I saw it for $179 it seemed worth trying. I'm not sure the cord is motivation enough to get another one. So I figure I'll just use this as needed until battery ones make the next step.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #1066
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
After last night's storm, clear skies tonight meant I could break out the telescope and see Saturn and Jupiter! COOLNESS! I was also treated to Mars and the moon at half-phase!
Where will it be for viewing on Wed eve and about what time in Calgary? Or where would I look this up. Would be fun with the family.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:49 AM   #1067
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't use it very often, and wasn't sure I even wanted one, so when I saw it for $179 it seemed worth trying. I'm not sure the cord is motivation enough to get another one. So I figure I'll just use this as needed until battery ones make the next step.
I just ordered that one from Amazon after throwing out my back shoveling, good to know it's a decent unit. Course this means we probably won't get another dump all year since I'll be looking forward to trying it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:21 AM   #1068
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Where will it be for viewing on Wed eve and about what time in Calgary? Or where would I look this up. Would be fun with the family.
I have the Planets app on the iPhone.

It gives you visibility ranges for all planets and also a VR style map of the sky. Hold your phone up and it labels what you are looking at.

There may be better apps out there, not sure, but it gets the job done for me

It makes me happy
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #1069
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
DeluxeMoustache's app will be more accurate, but Saturn and Jupiter are in the southwest sky from about sundown to two hours after sundown (if the sky is clear you can't miss them). Mars is just to the upper left of the moon.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #1070
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Calgary Clear Sky Chart:
https://www.cleardarksky.com/c/Calgarykey.html

Planets Visible in the Night Sky in Calgary
https://www.timeanddate.com/astronom...canada/calgary

Calgary Monthly Star Chart for December 2020
https://calgary.rasc.ca/starchart.htm
Dec. 15th:
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #1071
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
How close they appear though a telescope:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1340995696342626306
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #1072
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ginger chicken in the shower
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #1073
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

The following Match.com advertisement just came out, saw it on a streamed show last night and thought it was hilarious. and accurate. So many little subtle bits you have to watch it over and over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLbGnheHpM
Old 12-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #1074
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just watch the ad, that analysis was painful and unnecessary IMO. She just explained the obvious jokes and read reaction Tweets in the form of a question for some reason.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #1075
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

3 new pairs of shoes in the last 4 mos.

My ugly old ASICS needed replacement so I bought some NB running shoes. What a great decision. Way lighter, full on mesh which is perfect for my crazy wide hobbit feet and much nicer. Pure baby blue. None of that lame running shoe design that seemed to dominate the running shoe industry for 20 years. You know, that base white shoe with ugly ass angled lines and plastic highlights all over? Why did companies insist on making running shoes so hilariously hideous for so long? They were ugly and heavy and too narrow. My new mesh shoes are amazing.

Replaced my day to day mesh sneakers with some Vessi mesh sneakers. Amazing decision. I love mesh shoes for my crazy wide feet. Slip on, comfortable, stylish and waterproof.

And finally, I forgot my Canada West winter boots in Calgary, instead of going thru the hassle of getting them I just bought some new Blundstone Romeos. At first I was mad at myself for being so lazy at the cost of $300 when I could have just waited and got my Canada West boots on my trip to Calgary a few weeks ago.

It’s the opposite. I’m so happy I bought these. My CW boots are laced so are kind of a pain to put on. These romeos are amazingly convenient. And stylish enough I can wear them casually or when commuting to work (if that ever happens again). Can dress them up or down a bit.

Like $500 in new shoes but money well spent. Plus my expenses are basically zero right now so it was affordable. Not like I spent any money on Xmas presents or anything.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:33 PM   #1076
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
3 new pairs of shoes in the last 4 mos.

My ugly old ASICS needed replacement so I bought some NB running shoes. What a great decision. Way lighter, full on mesh which is perfect for my crazy wide hobbit feet and much nicer. Pure baby blue. None of that lame running shoe design that seemed to dominate the running shoe industry for 20 years. You know, that base white shoe with ugly ass angled lines and plastic highlights all over? Why did companies insist on making running shoes so hilariously hideous for so long? They were ugly and heavy and too narrow. My new mesh shoes are amazing.

Replaced my day to day mesh sneakers with some Vessi mesh sneakers. Amazing decision. I love mesh shoes for my crazy wide feet. Slip on, comfortable, stylish and waterproof.

And finally, I forgot my Canada West winter boots in Calgary, instead of going thru the hassle of getting them I just bought some new Blundstone Romeos. At first I was mad at myself for being so lazy at the cost of $300 when I could have just waited and got my Canada West boots on my trip to Calgary a few weeks ago.

It’s the opposite. I’m so happy I bought these. My CW boots are laced so are kind of a pain to put on. These romeos are amazingly convenient. And stylish enough I can wear them casually or when commuting to work (if that ever happens again). Can dress them up or down a bit.

Like $500 in new shoes but money well spent. Plus my expenses are basically zero right now so it was affordable. Not like I spent any money on Xmas presents or anything.
I have a very similar story. It’s actually quite funny.

I will tell you about it next year.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #1077
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

ok it's next year. go ahead...
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #1078
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

“I was returning some pants. I took a short cut in a subway tunnel and fell in some mud, ruining my pants. The very pants I was returning.”
J.Petterman
Old 01-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #1079
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm back to my pre-fat size and fit into all my pants. Just perfecting timing to becoming Vain Pete for the vaccines.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #1080
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I'm back to my pre-fat size and fit into all my pants. Just perfecting timing to becoming Vain Pete for the vaccines.
How's the hair growth going?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote