Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #3501
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
After deciding to refund Cyberpunk I picked up Jedi Fallen Order. Having never played a Souls-like game I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Up to this point the closest game I could say I've played would be Darksiders 3 but even that I had set to classic Darksiders combat. Jedi Fallen Order certainly isn't a perfect game but I quite enjoyed it. I am under the assumption, and someone can feel free to correct me, that it lacks the sort of fluidity and polish of a Dark Souls game. That being said I enjoyed the combat and the story.

Having completed it I now feel like giving Sekiro a shot. Even though I've stayed away from Dark Souls I've played my fair share of difficult games over the years and Sekiro seems to be more up my alley.

I also just wrapped up my first run through Nier Automata and I am supremely disappointed in the game. I understand that the game requires multiple play throughs for the full story/ending but I can't say I am actually invested in the story after 16 hours. Normally that wouldn't be a big sticking point with great gameplay and Platinum games has a pedigree for creating excellent spectacle fighters. The combat in Nier is so boring though. I am actually surprised at how mediocre both the combat and enemy designs are in the game. I am willing to admit that this game is probably not for me but I found it super easy and not overly compelling. I am not sure I'll bother running through the remaining routes
I felt the same about Nier too. Started out really cool. Then kind of tapered off. Usually enjoy Square Enix games so was kind of disappointed in myself for giving up. Maybe I'll return to it one day. Got killer reviews so I'm sure eventually it turns into a great game.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #3502
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nier Automata was one of those highly rated games that I flat out didn't like. I got probably 3/4 into the game and put it down. Came back to it months later but couldn't get into it again as to me it's boring and the story is just not compelling enough to keep going through the repetition of combat. This is my opinion but if you have to play through a game multiple times for it to be good maybe it's just not a great game?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #3503
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nier Automata was one of those highly rated games that I flat out didn't like. I got probably 3/4 into the game and put it down. ... This is my opinion but if you have to play through a game multiple times for it to be good maybe it's just not a great game?
What is "3/4 into the game?"

I never know if people actually understand how long Nier Automata is. As for "play through a game multiple times", it's really twice, and not even twice, exactly. You play through the first part of the game - ending A - as the protagonist. Then you play those events again as a different character with different abilities, except that character is occasionally separated from the protagonist. That's ending b. Then the second half of the game (ish - a bit less if you don't do sidequests, a bit more if you do) is a completely different story that takes place after ending A and B with a third playable character involved. So when people say "I got 3/4 through it and gave up", or something like that, they usually mean ending "A"... in which case they're actually 3/4 through the first third of the game.

That being said I can definitely understand it not being everyone's cup of tea. Each section gets better than the previous, but the type of game it is doesn't really change, so if you're bored you'll probably keep being bored. I'm not sure how one could get bored with an RPG combined with a platinum beat-em-up combined with a shmup combined with a 2D platformer considering how much stuff switches around, but different strokes. All I can say is the soundtrack is still stuck in my head and I played it like a year ago... best music of any game ever.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #3504
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I got 40 hours out of Nier Automata before finishing it and I agree that it can be tough to get into. If you go in completely blind there isn't really a whole lot to compel you to continue IMO (I think there was a message after the credits and a "preview" video of ending B?) I made sure to continue since the internet made it blindingly obvious to get all the main endings, so I definitely got the most out of it. It's a little unfortunate that you need to know that to make sure you get that enjoyment - and the payoff is excellent - but I have to agree that if you finished Ending A and weren't enjoying the game then there's no sense in continuing.

It kind of reminds me of Undertale, where someone might easily miss the true ending and miss out on some really excellent sequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
All I can say is the soundtrack is still stuck in my head and I played it like a year ago... best music of any game ever.
I just checked my iTunes and I have almost 100 plays on some of the songs now. I've listened to the entire soundtrack at least 30 times. Yeah, it's pretty fantastic.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #3505
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's a good listen, but what I actually mean isn't so much soundtrack as the music in game context. Each main track has four different versions, from softer background music to intense "we're in a struggle for our lives" music, and the digitally processed hacking version (which isn't even a separate music track but an actual translation of the main track). So, for example, the forest kingdom transitions from this:

... to this:

... to this.

The atmosphere created by that method, when the underlying music itself is as good as it is, is just unparalleled in any other game.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #3506
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'm sad that I never saw this until today

Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #3507
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm sad that I never saw this until today
In internet time that video is now ancient but somehow I hadn't seen it before either. Thanks for posting it, cause that was amazing!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #3508
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been stuck playing fortnite for the last month me and my kids play its pretty fun and cross platform
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #3509
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I've been stuck playing fortnite for the last month me and my kids play its pretty fun and cross platform
I started playing Fortnite w/ my nephews during lockdown and still play it all the time. Fun to have a game with fresh content every couple months or whatever.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #3510
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been playing Escape from Tarkov again this last wipe and after killing this guy as a Scav and noticing ttv on his dogtags I checked out the channel. This is the look of absolute defeat after clearing out an entire camp and finally opening the boss loot stash.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpinelessEla...toiseOMGScoots

I went to his channel afterwards and was chatting, I thought he saw me and was aiming at me when I killed him but he had no idea, turns out I had no idea he was opening a boss loot stash either as I didn't check it . . . . . RIP

For anyone that has played I found this picture on reddit that depicts my tarkov lifestyle.

Last edited by Raekwon; 01-05-2021 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #3511
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I’m very late to the party on this one but I picked up Ghost of Tsushima on the PSN Boxing Day sale and I haven’t been sucked into a game like this since Red Dead Redemption II. How on earth did this lose to Last of Us 2 for GOTY? This blows Last of Us out of the water in my opinion. Fantastic game.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #3512
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I know I’m very late to the party on this one but I picked up Ghost of Tsushima on the PSN Boxing Day sale and I haven’t been sucked into a game like this since Red Dead Redemption II. How on earth did this lose to Last of Us 2 for GOTY? This blows Last of Us out of the water in my opinion. Fantastic game.
The story is what makes the game as after the halfway mark I actually found the game extremely repetitive moreseo than an AC game. The characters and storytelling is a step above which elevates what's essentially a cookie cutter open world game to something better. I feel Nioh 2 is a much more polished game overall with a story that's not quite as good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #3513
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I've been playing Escape from Tarkov again this last wipe and after killing this guy as a Scav and noticing ttv on his dogtags I checked out the channel. This is the look of absolute defeat after clearing out an entire camp and finally opening the boss loot stash.
LOL - great clip man. There aren't many of us on this board that play this game - more should try it in my opinion.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #3514
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Two great games, but very different. I found LOU2 incredibly engaging from a story and game play perspective. The cutscenes seamlessly blend into the gameplay, there is great choice in how to approach each situation, the acting and overall production quality is probably the best ever. It felt like a step forward for the medium to me.

Ghost of Tsushima on the other hand is very on the nose and "video gamey" if that makes sense. It's a pretty basic open world game that lacks variety in it's mission structure and doesn't really do anything new. It can be repetitive and clunky at moments. It took me a good bit of time to adjust to it because I played it immediately after The Last of Us 2.

With that being said- I got the platinum in Ghosts and after I adjusted got very hooked on it. It's only the second game I've ever got the platinum on so that tells you something. It's beautiful, addicting, and has surprisingly fun combat. They take a bunch of elements from different games and mash them into an interesting samurai story.

Two great games to end the generation on.

Last edited by bax; 01-05-2021 at 01:54 PM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #3515
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've dumped so much time into Ghost. Loved the game.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #3516
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got both at Christmas and decided to play TLOU 2 first because I had part of the story spoiled for me online in a Spider-Man article.

I can see why there were complaints and I think they should have stuck with their original plan for the ending but overall I liked it other than having the threat of dogs which I refused to kill.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #3517
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What is "3/4 into the game?"

I never know if people actually understand how long Nier Automata is. As for "play through a game multiple times", it's really twice, and not even twice, exactly. You play through the first part of the game - ending A - as the protagonist. Then you play those events again as a different character with different abilities, except that character is occasionally separated from the protagonist. That's ending b. Then the second half of the game (ish - a bit less if you don't do sidequests, a bit more if you do) is a completely different story that takes place after ending A and B with a third playable character involved. So when people say "I got 3/4 through it and gave up", or something like that, they usually mean ending "A"... in which case they're actually 3/4 through the first third of the game.

That being said I can definitely understand it not being everyone's cup of tea. Each section gets better than the previous, but the type of game it is doesn't really change, so if you're bored you'll probably keep being bored. I'm not sure how one could get bored with an RPG combined with a platinum beat-em-up combined with a shmup combined with a 2D platformer considering how much stuff switches around, but different strokes. All I can say is the soundtrack is still stuck in my head and I played it like a year ago... best music of any game ever.
This is really where the crux of my issue with the game is. I was even hesitant to bring up my story complaints because I thought that would end up being the focus of the discussion. I can forgive a lot when it comes to story if the gameplay is solid. Bayonetta is a great example. I couldn't stand the story or the characters in that game but the combat is top tier and that's what kept me into it.

I can't say the same for Nier. The flow of the main character is pretty good but I do find some of the combos a bit janky. The biggest hurdle for combat IMO is how poorly designed the enemies are and that's what makes the game boring for me. Most of the enemies only have a couple of moves and they're so slow and telegraphed that it's incredibly easy to dodge. In fact most combat encounters can be completed by circling at a distance while using your PODS. I never felt like the enemies forced me to adopt a different strategy or use specific moves/weapons. Maybe this changes in subsequent play throughs but I can't see it? That's why I've found Nier so disappointing. I wasn't necessarily expecting Bayonetta/Transformers Devastation/MGS Revengeance but I was hoping for something more in that direction as far as combat design is involved.

Obviously I am in the minority and I realize that lots of people love the game. I am not here trying to tell people they're wrong. The one thing I will agree with is that the soundtrack is fantastic. Reminds me a lot of Ghost in the Shell.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 12:28 AM   #3518
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just downloaded Tarkov. first game dc, lost my gear, second game came across three guys and got bodied, third game killed a scav, sniped on the way to extract. I feel like I'm just going to loose all the gear I started with super fast, not have enough money for anything and have to go out with a knife and try and grab stuff to sell.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #3519
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I just downloaded Tarkov. first game dc, lost my gear, second game came across three guys and got bodied, third game killed a scav, sniped on the way to extract. I feel like I'm just going to loose all the gear I started with super fast, not have enough money for anything and have to go out with a knife and try and grab stuff to sell.
Is this a game like pubg or is it like arc where you try to build a base and stuff?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #3520
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

It has a hideout which you can use parts you find in the wild on the auction house to upgrade.

The premise is - you kit up, enter a map and attempt to fight and loot your way to extraction again other players or NPCs called SCAVs.

Anything you lose when killed or dropped is gone for good. There are exceptions if you choose to insure your gear pre-raid but if someone else loots it and extracts with it - it's gone.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post: