Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #1721
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Agreed, Mikey’s is good. Had it yesterday in fact.

Once upon a time way back when bars with live music were open, there was a music place, Mikey’s on 12th, which had a taco shop within. It’s the same.

Definitely recommended. Enjoy
Like a week ago?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:16 AM   #1722
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Like a week ago?

Haha. Smart ass.

Yeah there were about two weeks of technically allowing live music, but it was not like things were anywhere near normal
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #1723
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Noticed a place called Mikeys Taco Shop on 4th st NW. They claim to make “authentic” Mexican tacos and the menu looks promising. Has anyone been? It’s a little bit of a drive from Dalhousie but I’m wondering if it’s worth the trip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They are good, but messy. Don't plan on eating in your car, and going to a business meeting after!
Checked out Mikey’s yesterday and concur. It’s good and the portions are a good size too. 4th street is a little vague , it’s on 40th Ave. In the commercial strip kitty corner from James Fowler High
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #1724
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Checked out Mikey’s yesterday and concur. It’s good and the portions are a good size too. 4th street is a little vague , it’s on 40th Ave. In the commercial strip kitty corner from James Fowler High
That the old stavro location?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #1725
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
That the old stavro location?
It's in that strip mall. Well, the other section just north of it on the same property.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #1726
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sadly, our favourite place for stuffed burgers, N9na, is up for sale.

According to a Posting on a FB buy and sell Group, it could be yours for $169,000
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #1727
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

wonder if they would have fared better if they just had stayed in their old location.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:22 PM   #1728
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
wonder if they would have fared better if they just had stayed in their old location.
Maybe. I do think they're a victim of Covid. Without people going to hockey games at the Saddledome they lost a ton of business. I haven't been there in a few years (I used to live within walking distance and moved away) but they used to be very busy on game days, less so otherwise.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #1729
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendations on fine dining takeout options right now? Im a little apprehensive about ordering takeout from from a nice place, but will definitely go with a strong recommendation.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #1730
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Any recommendations on fine dining takeout options right now? Im a little apprehensive about ordering takeout from from a nice place, but will definitely go with a strong recommendation.
I ordered from Vero Bistro back in the spring and it was really good. Way too much food, so I ended up dividing it into a couple different meals. They give suggestions for re-heating, so it still tastes good.

Deane House prepares meal you finish at home, I believe, but I haven't got around to trying them yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #1731
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I ordered from Vero Bistro back in the spring and it was really good. Way too much food, so I ended up dividing it into a couple different meals. They give suggestions for re-heating, so it still tastes good.

Deane House prepares meal you finish at home, I believe, but I haven't got around to trying them yet.
Yep, we tried to call Vero, but I think we left it too late. Seems like a lot of these places want you to call well in advance, which makes sense.

For proximity and quick transport back home, we ended up going with LeVilla and have no complaints. Everything was great.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:58 PM   #1732
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, we tried to call Vero, but I think we left it too late. Seems like a lot of these places want you to call well in advance, which makes sense.

For proximity and quick transport back home, we ended up going with LeVilla and have no complaints. Everything was great.
Yeah, when I ordered, I think I called early afternoon for evening pickup.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #1733
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The higher end places seem to have mostly nailed it down. I've done curbside pickup from Charcut a few times and it's always been great. I also did a delivery order from The Nash a few weeks ago, and it was dynamite. Steak cooked perfectly, my favourite cocktail came premixed in a nice glass bottle. However, I live about a 3 minute drive from the restaurant, so that surely helped with the delivery quality. Everything was still piping hot when it hit my doorstep.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #1734
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Teatro is very good. They do a 3 course special. We did the steak and the pasta options. We ended up splitting both and had a massive mixed plate. With lunch left over.

It is also on door dash if you want delivery.

Edit: Cardinale is quite good as well!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #1735
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:

Another vote for Vero, we've done about 4 take-away meals with them since March and have loved every single one. Check out their facebook page every day to see what their take home special is for the day. Just like Amethyst when we order the dinner for 4 we are getting about 2-1/2 meals out of it with all the food (family of 4).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #1736
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone have updates on what is happening at Workshop? Had a few of their weekly menus over the summer that were amazing but they seem to have gone very quiet the last several months.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #1737
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One more under the radar suggestion is Carino.

Everything is good there, but their gyoza lasagna is amazing. Actually all their pasta is amazing.

I would try them as well if you appreciate Japan and Italian cooking.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #1738
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Does anyone have updates on what is happening at Workshop? Had a few of their weekly menus over the summer that were amazing but they seem to have gone very quiet the last several months.
I messaged Kenny and unfortunately he’s not reopening Workshop. He’s got another restaurant in the works but I don’t have any details. He’s going to make an announcement soon.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #1739
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I messaged Kenny and unfortunately he’s not reopening Workshop. He’s got another restaurant in the works but I don’t have any details. He’s going to make an announcement soon.
Too bad - that was my favorite place.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #1740
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
That's tough to hear. Will definitely support the new place if and when it opens.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business