Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #1121
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
My data usage at home has really skyrocketed recently. I never really paid attention as I don't usually check our bill because it is set up as an auto payment but I checked the other day to make sure our rates were still the same. Last month we used a TB of data. The last time I checked we were only around 300-400 GB. Between work from home, my kid's new Xbox, my kid's constantly video chatting with friends, etc our usage has really increased a lot.
I have noticed the same. I have been working from home since mid-March, kid is doing CBE Hub learning from home, etc. but my usage continues to climb month over month since fall. Shaw lets you see the last 6 months of usage on your account page.

Obviously the autumn would see a jump because school was starting up and we started spending more time indoors, but each month since then has seen an increase of about 100-150 GB over the month before it. Yet we don't seem to be watching more Netflix, or more video calls, or doing more work/school than before.

Ultimately I don't really care because I have unlimited usage, but it does make me wonder what we've changed about our habits as fall has progressed.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #1122
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
My speeds don't indicate that I'm on 600, nor 300 for that matter. I tell them a speed test maxes out at 150 and they said, well you don't need to have a speed of 300 or 600 so it won't go that high, but when you have several devices on your network all using Internet at the same time you won't have any latency or network slowness. The latter part is true but a speed test should still hit the high limit you have or come very close. They didn't seem to want to look into the issue to ensure that what was configured matched what I'm supposed to get. I gave up and resolved to switch to Telus when it's time to renew.
Just a heads up - my parents had the same issue and it turned out that their devices didn't have a new enough wifi card to take advantage of the higher speeds. If you're only using 2.4 GHz on the wifi "n" standard with your device, you won't hit that number. If you're wifi "ac" standard then you should be able to get to 600 Mbps if wifi interference is low.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #1123
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Just a heads up - my parents had the same issue and it turned out that their devices didn't have a new enough wifi card to take advantage of the higher speeds. If you're only using 2.4 GHz on the wifi "n" standard with your device, you won't hit that number. If you're wifi "ac" standard then you should be able to get to 600 Mbps if wifi interference is low.
That doesn't account for my PC that is not wireless.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #1124
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
To be capped out at 150 mbps, you'd have to basically be using something with wireless cards that were used in an iphone 6 or older. Also, if the processing power isn't strong, you can't get fast speeds. I think with an iphone 7 I wasn't breaking 200 mbps on tests. The tech that showed up (at the time) was getting like 310 mbps.

Quote:
That doesn't account for my PC that is not wireless.
Depends on the network card and some equipment like a switch. If you have an older network card or a non gigabit switch, you could be capped at 100 mbps.

Did you check your shaw bill online to see what they are billing you for and supposedly offering you to confirm you are on internet 600? If it's showing 600, then it's probably an equipment issue (either theirs, or even possibly, yours).

I'm not totally convinced it's your hardware that is limiting you, but I could be wrong. I totally get the frustration you're dealing with in not getting access to your full speed though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #1125
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like other have suggested, eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible. Your own router (if applicable), switch, ethernet wall plugs, anything wireless, etc. Hardwire directly to modem, making sure the network card is capable of gigabit speeds.

When I first went to 300 from my old 25 plan a few years ago, I was only getting about 100 or 150. Plenty for what I needed, but not what was promised. Did the whole song and dance with Shaw, I assured them that the issue was Shaw's, and not my hardware. Each time I called I had to start off by saying that I have rebooted my device, I have hardwired to the modem directly using two different devices, I have tried a different cord, etc. etc.

They finally sent a tech who checked some things, re-crimped my coaxial lines in my basement without any improvement. Finally Shaw agreed that the issue was outside of my house. Another day, and a different tech showed up in the alley and snipped the coax in the main connector box, re-crimped it, and voila! 320 download. And it has been consistent ever since. 320/16.

So just keep on them, but do yourself a favour by eliminating everything in between your computer and the modem.

Despite the hassle, I was actually pleased with the service. It took a few calls and a couple of techs, but they solved the problem properly.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #1126
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Shaw customer service is terrible
I pay $95 for Shaw 200, and called to tell them we are moving. Asked to have the rate adjusted, or if I could speak to the loyalty department. I have done this in the past, and generally get a $20/month deal.

The support rep, who was obviously not in Canada, informed me there was no Loyalty department anymore, so I asked to cancel, trying to get a deal. 10 seconds later she informed me that the cancellation has gone through, and good luck in the future.

What happened to Shaw? I have been a customer for 20 years, and this is how i got treated.

In a related note, anyone have experience with TekSavvy or Lightspeed?
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:41 AM   #1127
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
I pay $95 for Shaw 200, and called to tell them we are moving. Asked to have the rate adjusted, or if I could speak to the loyalty department. I have done this in the past, and generally get a $20/month deal.

The support rep, who was obviously not in Canada, informed me there was no Loyalty department anymore, so I asked to cancel, trying to get a deal. 10 seconds later she informed me that the cancellation has gone through, and good luck in the future.

What happened to Shaw? I have been a customer for 20 years, and this is how i got treated.

In a related note, anyone have experience with TekSavvy or Lightspeed?
Same thing happened to me. They just cancelled on the spot, said no more retentions dept. I then got a call from a retentions lady in Calgary about 3 days later offering me a better deal. By this time I had signed with someone else. She tried to get me to cancel my new contract with the other company and sign with them. I think this is their new way of operating.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #1128
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think they actually did that though. My speeds don't indicate that I'm on 600, nor 300 for that matter. I tell them a speed test maxes out at 150 and they said, well you don't need to have a speed of 300 or 600 so it won't go that high, but when you have several devices on your network all using Internet at the same time you won't have any latency or network slowness. The latter part is true but a speed test should still hit the high limit you have or come very close. They didn't seem to want to look into the issue to ensure that what was configured matched what I'm supposed to get. I gave up and resolved to switch to Telus when it's time to renew.

Yeah that's BS. I have Shaw internet 300. I average 315 Mbps on speed tests and the lowest I've had in the past 2 months is 299 (my router does one automatically every 2nd day).
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #1129
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Yeah that's BS. I have Shaw internet 300. I average 315 Mbps on speed tests and the lowest I've had in the past 2 months is 299 (my router does one automatically every 2nd day).
Seconded. I have Internet 600 and my speed tests hit 650 Mbps downstream regularly, so they're full of it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #1130
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does Shaw require your account information for tech suppoprt...

The Chat feature is getting pretty useless these days.

With that...any one know how to switch the wifi connection point on a blue curve portal ?

The one in my master bedroom is a little too far away from the shaw modem and I would like to switch it to a repeater I have on the main floor.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #1131
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since when has Shaw started charging for remote control replacements? Over the years they have always replaced our worn out controls no charge, now they have stopped doing so.

On that topic, do universal remotes work with Shaw Gateway systems? Trying to decide which would be a better option (get a new one from Shaw or say FU and get a universal remote - assuming the price difference is worth it.

Last edited by Lubicon; 01-10-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #1132
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Since when has Shaw started charging for remote control replacements? Over the years they have always replaced our worn out controls no charge, now they have stopped doing so.

On that topic, do universal remotes work with Shaw Gateway systems? Trying to decide which would be a better option (get a new one from Shaw or say FU and get a universal remote - assuming the price difference is worth it.
I had a Logitech remote that worked fine with Shaw. Fairly straight forward to program.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #1133
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

Is it the old Gateway system you have or the newer Bluesky system? I think I still have my old Gateway boxed up in the basement and I should have two remotes that you can have.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #1134
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think I may even have an extra BlueSky remote they left behind when they had to replace a defective box. Shoot me a DM if you need it and I can double check.
sleepingmoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #1135
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Is it the old Gateway system you have or the newer Bluesky system? I think I still have my old Gateway boxed up in the basement and I should have two remotes that you can have.
PM sent.
It's the Gateway system.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #1136
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Why does Shaw require your account information for tech suppoprt...

The Chat feature is getting pretty useless these days.
Probably so they don't spend half an hour troubleshooting someone's grandma's Telus connection.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #1137
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just used the chat. Took an hour to get someone, but he didn't ask for account info, just name and DOB. Managed to get my free phone account setup and sim is on the way.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #1138
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Just got bluecurve TV, but our upstairs TV location just has coax outlet, and the wifi isn’t strong enough to use only that.

Currently I have an Ethernet cable running across the floor, but I can’t leave that long term. Is there a solution to use the coax to get the internet to the TV, or do I have to try to get Ethernet to the back of the box?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #1139
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

You must have a different box than me. All my bluecurve tv boxes use coax.

edit

hmm, they seem to have a few different portals for bluecurve? My portals are the XiD, I guess you have the Xi6? I guess you could just request the XiD and make use of the coaxial in that area?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 01-12-2021 at 11:29 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #1140
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would need a different gateway as well to use coax.

I was able to get my xi6 boxes to connect to my home wifi instead of the shaw wifi.

Signal strength was a bit better.