Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #201
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Thats a sick quiver of skis. Obviously you have some budget dedicated to skiing, lol. I get what you are saying about the skis. I'm very familiar with them and agree with all your comments. I've skied the BG's, C&D's and Vicik. But even at the end of season discount sales I'm not seeing then for less than 500 US.
You could be right, I was thinking retailers like Fresh, or online you could get them a bit cheaper (if there are any pairs left by then). I buy mine from the factory though; they've always shipped them up here by express for next to nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I've got a heliski trip coming up in a few weeks (pending COVID), and I am wondering if I should take them up on the free rentals they provide.

My Powder skis are about 7-8 year old Rocker 2's. Which are fine. But I'm starting to wonder if they will have something better to rent.. and whether or not I would enjoy them more.
Why not call and ask what their rentals are, and then decide? Personally I'd want to ski the skis I'm familiar with, if it was me. But I'm also not sure you should get your hopes up too much about the trip going through. I've heard that those discounted trips are getting cancelled en masse and rescheduled for next year... You might have just given them an interest free loan.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #202
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I ended up going with the Head Kore skis, I tried them and know I like them, I ski the back bowls, moguls and trees alot and I like how quick they are. I don't have the budget to have more than one pair so knowing I liked how these skied made the decision easy. I did go a little longer than my previous Volkl Gotamas

Went into West bowl for the first time this weekend and I cant say I'm that impressed, sure there's lots of new terrain but I found I can get the same type of skiing done off summit back bowls, paradise and Ptarmigan trees without the runs leading to 2 chutes with a long ski out to the base and dealing with lineups. Maybe when they get a chair there it'll be better but for now I don't think I'll be back in there.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #203
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

What hills do people recommend for beginners? I haven't been on a snowboard since I was a kid, and have picked the worst possible year to take it up again, but I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it and something I can do outdoors.

I'm going to get a private lesson or two in just to get myself back up to speed, but are there any actual hills that are more enjoyable to learn on? or does a rookie like me just stick to COP until I have some light ability under my belt?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:06 AM   #204
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Norquay has a pretty easy chair right at the base, or Nakiska. I don't think it's worth paying the big bucks for Louise and Sunshine if you are just sticking to easy terrain.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #205
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You could be right, I was thinking retailers like Fresh, or online you could get them a bit cheaper (if there are any pairs left by then). I buy mine from the factory though; they've always shipped them up here by express for next to nothing.

Why not call and ask what their rentals are, and then decide? Personally I'd want to ski the skis I'm familiar with, if it was me. But I'm also not sure you should get your hopes up too much about the trip going through. I've heard that those discounted trips are getting cancelled en masse and rescheduled for next year... You might have just given them an interest free loan.
Current update is it is still on. Haven't paid yet though as they moved the pay date closer due to covid. Refund if cancelled due to covid. No long term interest free loan.

They are also flying right now anyway.

I also am feeling i'd like to be comfortable on the skis so thats the downside.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #206
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What hills do people recommend for beginners? I haven't been on a snowboard since I was a kid, and have picked the worst possible year to take it up again, but I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it and something I can do outdoors.

I'm going to get a private lesson or two in just to get myself back up to speed, but are there any actual hills that are more enjoyable to learn on? or does a rookie like me just stick to COP until I have some light ability under my belt?
COP is awesome and the best place to learn IMO. If you're looking up the hill and go on the chair to the left, it's actually kind of steep right off the chair at the top. Once you can do that little chunk without too much trouble, you're good to go to basically any mountain.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #207
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
COP is awesome and the best place to learn IMO. If you're looking up the hill and go on the chair to the left, it's actually kind of steep right off the chair at the top. Once you can do that little chunk without too much trouble, you're good to go to basically any mountain.
The only reason I didn't recommend that is it is probably swamped with people right now, and trying to learn when it is busy can kinda suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #208
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The only reason I didn't recommend that is it is probably swamped with people right now, and trying to learn when it is busy can kinda suck.
Good point. I think they are capping the number of people on the hill, but I haven't been this year so no clue how it looks once you're actually there.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #209
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently you can buy a 2 hour pass to COP for 32 bucks, which would be an okay way to spend an evening if you wanted to just get your board under you again. They are limiting it to keep traffic down.

As far as the hills, frankly the cost of a lift ticket isn't really a consideration. They're all 100-120 bucks regardless of where you go. You're better off finding someone with a season pass or other card that allows them discounts on lift tickets if they bring their friends.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #210
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize Nakiska was $98 now. Norquay is still "only" $75, thoguh I presume you can still get discounted ones for any of the hills at Costco, if you have a membership.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #211
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Thanks guys, I'll get up to speed on COP and then try to hit Norquay and Nakiska a few times until I feel fully comfortable.

Aside from the beginner recommendations, what's your favourite hill driving distance from Calgary? Where do you all go out to whenever you get the chance for a day or a few?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #212
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is COP even offering day tickets yet this year? Last I checked it was reservation for passholders only. Although I haven't been since they got rid of their park a few weeks ago so this may have changed.

COP is the quietest hill I've been to all season. Even more so without the park. If you're just getting back into it and feel you need a lesson I absolutely would not drive to the mountains just to stand in line.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #213
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Thanks guys, I'll get up to speed on COP and then try to hit Norquay and Nakiska a few times until I feel fully comfortable.

Aside from the beginner recommendations, what's your favourite hill driving distance from Calgary? Where do you all go out to whenever you get the chance for a day or a few?
Lake Louise, easily. As a new snowboarder? You should probably fall in love with Sunshine, for my benefit.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #214
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Lake Louise, easily. As a new snowboarder? You should probably fall in love with Sunshine, for my benefit.
Ya, Sunshine's the best for boarders!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #215
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Ya, Sunshine's the best for boarders!
Couldn't agree more...as a boarder, there isn't a single reason you shouldn't ride Sunshine all the time, every time... Louise is for squares man...and don't even get me started on KH or Revy....
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #216
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

If your snowboarding you can sit on your a$$ in the middle of a run at any hill you want, just make sure you take 4 friends with you so you can spread out across the run
Old 01-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #217
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
If your snowboarding you can sit on your a$$ in the middle of a run at any hill you want, just make sure you take 4 friends with you so you can spread out across the run

Don't forget to make sure it is just below a terrain change out of sight.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #218
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Hey I think I saw you in this video.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #219
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Lol that is hilarious. As a former snowboarder my point is valid but not restricted to boarders alone, plenty of idiot skiers stop and stand in the middle of runs as well. If I don't teach my kids anything else it will be to get to the side of a run before you stop for a break or to wait for someone to catch up.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #220
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ that video never gets old

...then again, neither does making fun of snowboarders

Last edited by Flames0910; 01-05-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote