Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #2301
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, no worries. I've looked at the official Nintendo stuff as well in the past and also found it over priced. I looked again yesterday and it's a hair more reasonable for a refurb dock/charger. It would already be on it's way if it wasn't for some vague error message when trying to process my CC. Will try again today.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #2302
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

And refurb dock/charger on the way.

Conveniently figured out what I was doing wrong whilst charging it to my wifes credit card
Old 12-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #2303
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kid has played Minecraft on the Xbox for a while now, and I've recently got the switch edition. I thought I could get his Xbox world onto the switch but when I sign in with the Microsoft account there are no world's that appear. Am I SOL? Is Christmas ruined?
Old 12-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #2304
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
My kid has played Minecraft on the Xbox for a while now, and I've recently got the switch edition. I thought I could get his Xbox world onto the switch but when I sign in with the Microsoft account there are no world's that appear. Am I SOL? Is Christmas ruined?
It's probably locally stored. Looks like there is a way to transfer it though: https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/...nother-device-
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #2305
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
You need to transfer the worlds. The easiest way is using a server like Realms. You can sign up for a trial and upload a world on Xbox and download it on Switch.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #2306
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great, I’ll try those tonight. I’m trying to get the switch all set up prior to Christmas. I had thought it was hopeless getting his world moved over but this looks promising. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #2307
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up two great Indie games yesterday that I would recommend.

Grindstone - a puzzler from Canadian developer Capy games all about building up huge combos and interesting strategy. Great art and music, lots of content.

Dicey Dungeons - a roguelike strategy deck-builder, but relying on dice mechanics. Really fun, and a fantastic soundtrack!

Both are very addicting and perfect for portable play!

And also, finally after 100 years, Super Meat Boy Forever is releasing next week!

OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #2308
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Forgive me for not reading the entire 30 pages, but I've read the last couple....

The kids are getting a Switch for Christmas, and I was unable to get a bundled version. I need to get a few games for them.

4 kids, 2 boys (12,7) and 2 girls(15,10). What is the top 3 games?

They've mentioned animal crossing, so I'll get that, whatever it is. Too bad I didn't get the bundle.

We also have a ps4, so games on that like Minecraft and Rayman Legends can stay there.

I am thinking a Zelda game and Mario Cart???

And I now see this controller drift issue - are the controllers included guaranteed to suck?
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #2309
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mario Odyssey is great. So is Zelda BotW, though maybe not for the younger ones.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #2310
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I haven't had a drift issue with my controllers, so definitely not guaranteed to suck.

I would pick up two extra controllers though, especially if you get a game like Mario Cart or Mario Party (which are both great) so four can play at once.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #2311
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have a few questions too, as we will be new to the Switch at Xmas time...

Can I download all games, or do I need physical copies? I haven't owned a console since ps3 & Wii. I bought a decent sized memory card for it.

Any other suggestions for family-oriented games for a mom, dad, grandparents, and a 6 year old girl? Any Mario Party reviews? Is Animal Crossing a game a 6 yo can manage on her own?

I have the main Switch console- I assume comes with one controller- and 1 more set. Is that sufficient for most games or do you need each need a pair for most 3-4 player games?
Old 12-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #2312
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I also have a few questions too, as we will be new to the Switch at Xmas time...

Can I download all games, or do I need physical copies? I haven't owned a console since ps3 & Wii. I bought a decent sized memory card for it.

Any other suggestions for family-oriented games for a mom, dad, grandparents, and a 6 year old girl? Any Mario Party reviews? Is Animal Crossing a game a 6 yo can manage on her own?

I have the main Switch console- I assume comes with one controller- and 1 more set. Is that sufficient for most games or do you need each need a pair for most 3-4 player games?
For most (any I've played) 3-4 player games you don't need a set each, just individual controllers, so the set the system comes with and the one you bought should suffice.

You can download all the games, and I would recommend that over physical games anyway.

Both Mario Party and Mario Kart are good for all ages, including a 6-year-old. Friends of ours have a 5-year-old and they have both Mario Party and Animal Crossing. They have some trouble with a few minigames but still enjoy Mario Party. Animal Crossing is a no-brainer. You might want to play it to get the island going, but a 6-year-old will have no problem playing it since they can basically play it however they want.

EDIT: I think OutoftheCube has a few kids and a Switch, so if you're looking for games outside of Animal Crossing or Mario Party down the line (they're great options to start with imo) then he probably has great recommendations for kids.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 04:19 AM   #2313
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the tips folks.

I used the SDM Redemption Event today to get Zelda BotW, Animal Crossing, Mario Cart and Mario Odyssey, using 200,000 points ($200) for $300 of merchandise. Not sure why I didn't think to use it during the Black Friday event of 250k redeemed for $400 of merchandise. Its how we bought the Switch in the first place!!!

Anyway, thanks for your advice everyone!!
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:10 AM   #2314
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any Switch game recommendations for the ladies? I want to get some games that both my wife and I will enjoy. My wife likes to play Mario Kart, but it starts to get stale. We are looking for some quick games without a lot of time investments or steep learning curve...And she probably won't appreciate Mortal Kombat....
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:04 AM   #2315
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

EDIT: I think OutoftheCube has a few kids and a Switch, so if you're looking for games outside of Animal Crossing or Mario Party down the line (they're great options to start with imo) then he probably has great recommendations for kids.
I do! Only one of them is gaming age so far but we do play quite a lot.

For an off the wall recommendation I’ll throw a shout out to Good Job! from earlier this year. It is actually a Nintendo published eshop exclusive. You play as little stick people avatars that get assigned various tasks in a company and attempt to complete them - your characters are very clumsy however and this leads to lots of physics based chaos and destruction. My son and I had a riot with this one and I think it would be a great time for people of all ages and skill levels, a great complement to the Mario’s and such everyone will be unwrapping on Christmas.

OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #2316
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I do! Only one of them is gaming age so far but we do play quite a lot.

For an off the wall recommendation I’ll throw a shout out to Good Job! from earlier this year. It is actually a Nintendo published eshop exclusive. You play as little stick people avatars that get assigned various tasks in a company and attempt to complete them - your characters are very clumsy however and this leads to lots of physics based chaos and destruction. My son and I had a riot with this one and I think it would be a great time for people of all ages and skill levels, a great complement to the Mario’s and such everyone will be unwrapping on Christmas.

The Stretchers is another one that was released in a similar way that is pretty good too.

SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #2317
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post

I mostly get digital copies of games for the convenience of it, but a lot of games seem to retain pretty decent resale value for physical copies and seem pretty easy to sell. That may be something to keep in mind, especially if you'd like to be able to frequently buy new games for the kids while keeping costs lower.

Mario Party is great imo. Fun game and well suited for kids.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #2318
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have a question about the online accounts. Right now, we have two local accounts on our switch. One for me, one for my wife. I'm looking at buying an online account but not sure exactly how they work.

For instance, if I buy an individual account and want to play Mario Kart online, can my wife play as well like the offline version or do I need to actual buy the family account for that?
Old 12-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #2319
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Have a question about the online accounts. Right now, we have two local accounts on our switch. One for me, one for my wife. I'm looking at buying an online account but not sure exactly how they work.

For instance, if I buy an individual account and want to play Mario Kart online, can my wife play as well like the offline version or do I need to actual buy the family account for that?
You can both play mario kart online under an individual account but only one of you will be able to play as your account and the other will have to play as a guest or something along those lines. My kids were both able to play Mario kart with their friend online using a single individual account. For my money it’s best to just pay the extra $20 to get a family account though because otherwise only one account can be used to access online play.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #2320
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, would she then need to go and create a profile on the Nintendo website and associate her local profile with it or does that get shoe horned into my profile somehow?

This seems a bit more confusing than it needs to be.

As it stands now, she rarely uses her local account. When we fire up Mario Kart for instance, we are presented with both local accounts and always pick mine. I don't think we've even thought signing into both accounts when playing locally.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-18-2020 at 05:02 PM.