Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #3541
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

its nice that the courses did well, they deserve it with dealing with the Alberta weather year after year. However, i personally do hope some of these excess golfers move on from the game as it was frustrating to get times. selfish i know.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #3542
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Hi Dion,

I was curious what the difference is between a Single Membership and an Annual one is. There must be something that's just not registering with me.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #3543
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Hi Dion,

I was curious what the difference is between a Single Membership and an Annual one is. There must be something that's just not registering with me.
Annuals are for golfers that don't have a membership/share in the golf course.

Dues are for those that have shares.

The 19-39 age group is a great value as we are trying to attract younger golfers to the course. All annuals are for 7 days a week and includes unlimited golf.

Also there is a trend in the golf industry where courses are looking to offer annuals as many golfers don't want to by shares in a golf course
Old 12-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #3544
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Annuals are for golfers that don't have a membership/share in the golf course.

The 19-39 age group is a great value as we are trying to attract younger golfers to the course. All annuals are for 7 days a week and includes unlimited golf.

Also there is a trend in the golf industry where courses are looking to offer annuals as many golfers don't want to by shares in a golf course
Ah, that makes sense now. I'm really envious of your cost to Golf. I'm a member at Silver Springs and it's no where near those numbers. I'm OK with my cost per round but if I was at Nanton I'd laugh to myself eveyday.

Last edited by prarieboy; 12-04-2020 at 06:08 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #3545
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, not sure how to do this exactly, but would there be interest in a summer-long CP tournament of sorts? I’m happy to help set it up. I would see this as an initial round at the beginning, match play through the summer and then a final round to wrap it up and announce winners and such.

I’ve got a few more thoughts, but I’m sure others have good ideas! I see this as mostly for fun and bragging rights, but maybe we could get a “trophy” of some sort or a coveted Calgary Flames jacket?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #3546
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So, not sure how to do this exactly, but would there be interest in a summer-long CP tournament of sorts? I’m happy to help set it up. I would see this as an initial round at the beginning, match play through the summer and then a final round to wrap it up and announce winners and such.

I’ve got a few more thoughts, but I’m sure others have good ideas! I see this as mostly for fun and bragging rights, but maybe we could get a “trophy” of some sort or a coveted Calgary Flames jacket?

this would be great.

I did an annual tourney before where we got a few sponsors and made fun holes, ie: years worth of KD. TP hole - where the TP is on the course and closest to the pile wins. Closest to the pin for a cooler full of lobster...

now this was just one tourney but im sure we could make it interesting and have fun doing it.

I definitely could talk to my pro at Serenity. I've been there since day one and he's open to a lot of ideas.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 11:22 PM   #3547
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Count me in on this
Old 12-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #3548
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[/QUOTE]

That’s awesome. Good for them - I used to love playing Friday morning there for $50 with cart! They do a nice job with the course.

$2300 for a family with no restrictions? That’s robbery. If you live in the south part of the city I’d say that alone just about makes it worth the drive.

I usually play about 50 rounds a year. That’s $46 per round and the wife and kids are essentially playing as a bonus.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #3549
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds like fun. I'd like to hear more.
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #3550
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So, not sure how to do this exactly, but would there be interest in a summer-long CP tournament of sorts?
I suggest we do teams, say team of 4 and every week 2 out of the 4 will play the other team for fun.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #3551
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I suggest we do teams, say team of 4 and every week 2 out of the 4 will play the other team for fun.
Yeah that would be fun. I just think there’s a strong contingent of golfers here and it would be fun to play some rounds with others this season. Might be a lot to play in that every second week, but maybe not.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #3552
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It might be more reasonable to designate a few tournaments (one a month?) through the summer. Have a deadline to sign up for each so that tee times can be booked. I wouldn't be able to golf every other week, but once or twice a year with dates I know in advance would be doable.

With advance notice, it also might be possible to schedule during the week, which should make finding tee times together a lot easier.

I would want the organizer to be as stress free as possible, so some suggestions:
  1. Leave prizes out of it. Just keep it a social event.
  2. Have the signup deadline early enough so that you can make foursomes, then make the foursomes responsible for:
    • Booking a tee time as close to the start time as possible.
    • Dealing with cancellations.
    • Whether they want to do their own skins or LD/KP holes.
  3. Avoid Water Valley.

My 2cents.
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #3553
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
It might be more reasonable to designate a few tournaments (one a month?) through the summer. Have a deadline to sign up for each so that tee times can be booked. I wouldn't be able to golf every other week, but once or twice a year with dates I know in advance would be doable.

With advance notice, it also might be possible to schedule during the week, which should make finding tee times together a lot easier.

I would want the organizer to be as stress free as possible, so some suggestions:
  2. Have the signup deadline early enough so that you can make foursomes, then make the foursomes responsible for:
  3. Avoid Water Valley.

My 2cents.

Played Water Valley last year for the first time in 20 years, was in great shape. what dont you like about it?
Old 12-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #3554
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post

3. Avoid Water Valley.

My 2cents.

Ya, so first tourney is at Water Valley?

(love that course)
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:33 PM   #3555
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love Water Valley as a course, but had a bad experience with their staff running a mini tournament there a couple years ago and I've never been back. I wrote about it here at the time. It really saddens me, as I do love the course. I'd heard of bad experiences from others, but always dismissed it until it happened to me.
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #3556
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Staff are brutal at Water Valley. Our buddy booked us a tee time at 4:10 in the middle of July, not knowing its only 9 holes after 4PM(?). Got to the Proshop and politely asked if we could play 18, and boy you would of thought I'd asked to take a dump on their doorstep. The same round the marshall sneakily waited for us to leave our carts to go putt, pulled up and proceeded to rumage through our carts and bags looking for alcohol. Never seen that before and I play 30+ rounds per year. Its a crying shame because the course is awesome.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #3557
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

wow that is brutal. I despise courses that are that firm like your 4:00 example, to me i wont go back to courses like that and there will be a time when golf isn't as busy and they will be needing all the players they can get.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #3558
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Staff are brutal at Water Valley. Our buddy booked us a tee time at 4:10 in the middle of July, not knowing its only 9 holes after 4PM(?). Got to the Proshop and politely asked if we could play 18, and boy you would of thought I'd asked to take a dump on their doorstep. The same round the marshall sneakily waited for us to leave our carts to go putt, pulled up and proceeded to rumage through our carts and bags looking for alcohol. Never seen that before and I play 30+ rounds per year. Its a crying shame because the course is awesome.
Is that even legal? It's certainly not cool regardless of what their policy or what the antiquated liquor laws in this province say. I don't know if that gives anyone the right to non consensual search.

Brutal, and shame on Water Valley for promoting that behavior in their employees.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #3559
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve heard the complaints of water valley staff but have played there 15+ times over the last 5 years and never have had an issue. Regular rounds. Drunken rounds. Same same.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #3560
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had a similar experience with Water Valley. Too many other nice courses in and around the city to ever go back there.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow