McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Can you share where you are located?

Exciting news!
Latitude would be great!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #62
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I changed my internet package with xplornet from 25Mbps to 50Mbps it sucks just as bad literally no change starlink cant come fast enough
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #63
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Thing is most of Canada is at a perfect latitude.

Friend of mine got it about 15 min north east of Winnipeg and says he gets 160mbps download all the time. Says its a life changer because he can now easily work remotely.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #64
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Can you share where you are located?

Exciting news!
Rural near Brooks. About 2 hours south of Calgary. Got it and set up was super easy and it works amazing! Couldn't be happier so far. Not many drop outs and a couple very brief minutes of downtime so far. Here are a couple speedtests🙂
Download of 188 mb/s fastest for me so far and upload of 47 mb/sec. Happy to answer any specific questions people have if I can.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6739882298

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6747519155
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #65
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Latitude would be great!
I believe it's around 50.6
Any other questions let me know 🙂
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 11-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #66
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

What did you previously have for internet?
Old 11-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #67
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What did you previously have for internet?
Like which service or speeds?
Old 11-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #68
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Both.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #69
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Rural near Brooks. About 2 hours south of Calgary. Got it and set up was super easy and it works amazing! Couldn't be happier so far. Not many drop outs and a couple very brief minutes of downtime so far. Here are a couple speedtests🙂
Download of 188 mb/s fastest for me so far and upload of 47 mb/sec. Happy to answer any specific questions people have if I can.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6739882298

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6747519155
Bah this is so exciting
Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #70
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Both.
Eidnet small local satellite service that covers just Brooks and surrounding area. Paid $110 a month for 20/4 and I have to admit the speeds were pretty much as advertised.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #71
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I added a 4 foot dowel into the xplornet receiver and lifted it up brought my signal from 2to 3 bars to a steady 4 bars and I'm downloading at 7 megabytes per second atm which will hold me over until starlink gets here or at least becomes a little bit more affordable if that happens
Old 11-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #72
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I added a 4 foot dowel into the xplornet receiver and lifted it up brought my signal from 2to 3 bars to a steady 4 bars and I'm downloading at 7 megabytes per second atm which will hold me over until starlink gets here or at least becomes a little bit more affordable if that happens
I don't think the price of the service will get cheaper anytime soon.

Maybe the initial price of the hardware will go down eventually.

Apparently they have thousands upon thousands of people signed up for the beta alone that will gladly pay with the rates they have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #73
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Nice work squeezing a little extra out of Xplorenet. I have heard that some people have leveraged their current ISP's a bit by threatening a switch to Starlink. Even if it's out of your budget right now Xplorenet doesn't know that. Maybe you can negotiate a better speed package or monthly discount. Might be worth a try. I know they are trying to bring initial costs down so hopefully that happens sooner than later.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #74
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice work squeezing a little extra out of Xplorenet. I have heard that some people have leveraged their current ISP's a bit by threatening a switch to Starlink. Even if it's out of your budget right now Xplorenet doesn't know that. Maybe you can negotiate a better speed package or monthly discount. Might be worth a try. I know they are trying to bring initial costs down so hopefully that happens sooner than later.

Thanks I may have to try that I'll give them a cal tomorrow
Old 11-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #75
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder what rural areas will get for speeds in between Calgary and Edmonton once more people are using the service. It could be one of those Shaw high usage area scenarios where the cities and large towns enjoy the existing 'in ground' connections whereas a relatively dense rural population stretched in a North South direction oversaturates the available bandwidth no matter how many thousands of satellites are deployed.

In the near future it could be possible to have a faster connection on a sparsely populated island in the middle of the ocean than being a hour drive away from a major city.

Last edited by Sluggo; 11-25-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: wanted to add a bit
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sluggo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #76
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Happy to answer any specific questions people have if I can.
How portable is the service? Can you just pack your personal dish up and set it up somewhere else entirely?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #77
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
How portable is the service? Can you just pack your personal dish up and set it up somewhere else entirely?
Currently not portable at all as the service is geo-locked to the service location you enter when you sign up for access to the beta. They have mentioned that the goal is to have portability eventually be an option but no time frame and not during the beta phase.

Old 11-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #78
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
I wonder what rural areas will get for speeds in between Calgary and Edmonton once more people are using the service. It could be one of those Shaw high usage area scenarios where the cities and large towns enjoy the existing 'in ground' connections whereas a relatively dense rural population stretched in a North South direction oversaturates the available bandwidth no matter how many thousands of satellites are deployed.

In the near future it could be possible to have a faster connection on a sparsely populated island in the middle of the ocean than being a hour drive away from a major city.
Definitely some interesting points. I had thought about that myself. My hope is that once the beta is done and they have all their satellites and data that they will give a guaranteed minimum speed and not oversell their service (ie Xplorenet) so they can deliver on that. They also won't 100% commit to no data caps after the beta phase which is a little troubling. So between beta and go live there could definitely be some changes in bandwidth and data limitations.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #79
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely some interesting points. I had thought about that myself. My hope is that once the beta is done and they have all their satellites and data that they will give a guaranteed minimum speed and not oversell their service (ie Xplorenet) so they can deliver on that. They also won't 100% commit to no data caps after the beta phase which is a little troubling. So between beta and go live there could definitely be some changes in bandwidth and data limitations.

yeah a data cap makes zero sense i really hope they don't go that route
Old 11-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #80
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The data caps will only happen if it affects service for others. If they find a way to keep offering high speeds regardless on the amount of people that are connected they won't need to implement data caps.

They recently had an AMA on reddit, and they said multiple times they are far from having this thing figured out and will still be learning a lot as they go.