Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #3521
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Here's hoping that this is successful as they say. CF is a rotten disease.

https://www.cochranetoday.ca/lifesty...canada-2866507

Quote:
A pharmaceutical company says it's taking steps to bring cystic fibrosis drugs to Canada in a much-anticipated move that advocates say could have a profound impact on patients.
A Vertex spokesman says the manufacturer plans to move forward with its new therapies for the disease in Canada, and any applications for Health Canada approval will be posted on the agency's website.
Cystic Fibrosis Canada and other advocates hailed the development as a triumph in their prolonged campaign to help patients gain access to "life-changing" treatments.
Experts estimate that one of Vertex's medicines, Trikafta, which has been approved in the U.S., could treat 90 per cent of patients with cystic fibrosis.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #3522
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Thought this was pretty cool.. they can tell that a 20km wide neutron star is symmetrical to within a hair's width using data from LIGO. The lack of gravity waves that would be caused by that much of a deviation gives the upper boundary of the symmetry.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #3523
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Cure for diabetes? University of Alberta researchers believe they've found one

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/cure-for...-one-1.5192813
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #3524
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

That video was impactful, plus I watched another news story on the same topic.

We have friends and family members with diabetes and the possibility of a cure is exciting. I just sent the $22 they’re asking for and urge others to do the same.

Go to headingto2022.com to donate or for information. Let’s beat this disease.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 11-18-2020 at 11:50 AM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #3525
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

This is exciting news! I have type 2, and it runs in my family. I have over 35 cousins and about 1/3 of us have it. One has passed due to complications from diabetes. I have been able to live a healthier lifestyle as a result of my diagnosis, but some days are hard and frustrating.

This won't affect permanent damage done as a result for those who have other complications but it can hopefully stop progression of those problems. I had an edema in my eye and as a result of my lifestyle change I have been able to almost reverse it! I understand that isn't a common thing to do. I also have some peripheral neuropathy in my foot. That won't reverse either, but I'd like to get rid of the source of it's cause.

It'll be a few years until this cure is proven and made available, but there is hope on the horizon!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #3526
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
This is exciting news! I have type 2, and it runs in my family. I have over 35 cousins and about 1/3 of us have it. One has passed due to complications from diabetes. I have been able to live a healthier lifestyle as a result of my diagnosis, but some days are hard and frustrating.

This won't affect permanent damage done as a result for those who have other complications but it can hopefully stop progression of those problems. I had an edema in my eye and as a result of my lifestyle change I have been able to almost reverse it! I understand that isn't a common thing to do. I also have some peripheral neuropathy in my foot. That won't reverse either, but I'd like to get rid of the source of it's cause.

It'll be a few years until this cure is proven and made available, but there is hope on the horizon!

I’m so excited. My grandson, who is 6, is Type 1. I’m hoping the future is bright for him and all others!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #3527
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I followed a University of Alberta cancer research protocol about 14 years ago that was promising, and then once it moved to a pharmaceutical firm for final testing and getting the product to market, the solution changed course and was only being used as a diagnostic tool. I was only following as an interested observer, and couldn't get my mind around how frustrating that must have been for the researchers.

I assure you I'm not trying to get all conspiracy theory-ee.

If the research lab gets the required funding, goes to human trials, is there a way to move forward beyond that without the involvement of an American pharmaceutical company? Seriously asking, for anyone who might have an answer.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #3528
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I’m so excited. My grandson, who is 6, is Type 1. I’m hoping the future is bright for him and all others!
Type 1 is so much more scary to deal with in my opinion. You have to watch your sugar levels so much more closely.

I do feel guilty about wanting this to work out so I can be "cured" because I became diabetic through poor unhealthy lifestyle choices. Now, I am much more susceptible due to the family genetics but I probably would have taken my chances had I known about that.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 06:42 AM   #3529
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Type 1 is so much more scary to deal with in my opinion. You have to watch your sugar levels so much more closely.

I do feel guilty about wanting this to work out so I can be "cured" because I became diabetic through poor unhealthy lifestyle choices. Now, I am much more susceptible due to the family genetics but I probably would have taken my chances had I known about that.
It's very scary, and it's a 24/7 disease. As a family you are never not thinking about diabetes. Future health issues he could face are grim. It's just a terrible thing.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #3530
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

*sigh*

Quote:
The National Science Foundation announced Thursday that it will close the huge telescope at the renowned Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico in a blow to scientists worldwide who depend on it to search for planets, asteroids and extraterrestrial life.

The independent, federally funded agency said it's too dangerous to keep operating the single dish radio telescope — one of the world's largest — given the significant damage it recently sustained. An auxiliary cable broke in August and tore a 30-metre hole in the reflector dish and damaged the dome above it. Then on Nov. 6, one of the telescope's main steel cables snapped, causing further damage and leading officials to warn that the entire structure could collapse.

NSF officials noted that even if crews were to repair all the damage, engineers found that the structure would still be unstable in the long term.

"This decision is not an easy one for NSF to make, but the safety of people is our number one priority," said Sean Jones, the agency's assistant director for the Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate. "We understand how much Arecibo means to this community and to Puerto Rico."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/a...oned-1.5808490

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #3531
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I followed a University of Alberta cancer research protocol about 14 years ago that was promising, and then once it moved to a pharmaceutical firm for final testing and getting the product to market, the solution changed course and was only being used as a diagnostic tool. I was only following as an interested observer, and couldn't get my mind around how frustrating that must have been for the researchers.

I assure you I'm not trying to get all conspiracy theory-ee.

If the research lab gets the required funding, goes to human trials, is there a way to move forward beyond that without the involvement of an American pharmaceutical company? Seriously asking, for anyone who might have an answer.
I actually remember this. The wife and I had a good chat about the injustice of how certain discoveries are never moved forward for lack of funding, lack of interest, or lack of being able to convert to large scale profitable commercialization. Gotta make you wonder how many legit health improvements actually exist that have stagnated and are now tucked away.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #3532
photon

Exp:

SpaceX did their first high altitude Starship test today.

https://youtu.be/gBELXjq_X-M?t=16860

Link to the Everyday Astronaut stream (he gets a little loud).

They almost stuck their flip maneuver to land at the end but looks like they lost one engine on the way up and another right at the end for an unscheduled rapid disassembly but still they got impressively close to sticking the landing. Very cool.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #3533
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a spectacular flight that was, I don't believe they lost any of the engines, I believe they shut them down to test characteristics for engine out scenarios.

If you look at the 2 engines they used for the landing attempt, it looks like they were the 2 that went "out" during the launch.

According to Elon they missed the landing because of low fuel pressure in the header tanks but it was otherwise a success.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1336809767574982658

Last edited by Dan02; 12-09-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #3534
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
SpaceX did their first high altitude Starship test today.

https://youtu.be/gBELXjq_X-M?t=16860

Link to the Everyday Astronaut stream (he gets a little loud).

They almost stuck their flip maneuver to land at the end but looks like they lost one engine on the way up and another right at the end for an unscheduled rapid disassembly but still they got impressively close to sticking the landing. Very cool.
It was awesome to watch live today! Sounds like the engines worked properly but there was an issue with fuel pressure.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1336809767574982658
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #3535
photon

Exp:

SpaceX's feed is much better views including views of the engines right at the end.

https://youtu.be/ap-BkkrRg-o?t=6464

Very cool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #3536
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Dat Flip!!!
https://twitter.com/user/status/1336849897987796992
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #3537
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Damn it's like something out of the Expanse sci-fi show. Flip and burn!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #3538
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think this belongs here

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/fort...source=twitter

Quote:
TORONTO -- The concept of “quantum tunnelling” sounds like it would take at least an hour to explain -- but it only took one Fort McMurry, Alta. teenager three minutes, in a video that won an international competition and scored new funding for her future and her school.
Maryam Tsegaye, 17, used her love of science to score the winning prize in the Breakthrough Junior Challenge last, a competition in which thousands of students across the world create short videos to express a science or mathematics concept.

Quote:
The monumental prize included $250,000 to go towards her schooling, a $100,000 science lab for her small high school, and $50,000 for her science teacher.

Quote:
I picked quantum tunnelling because it’s a quantum phenomenon that I’d never heard of until I was researching for the competition, and I was completely taken away with the whole topic and fell down a spiral of articles and everything.” So what is quantum tunnelling?
In her winning video -- which had to be less than three minutes -- Tsegaye started off by referencing a cheat code in a video game her brother had played, which allowed characters to move through walls.
“Imagine if you could walk through walls in real life!” she said in the video. “And it turns out you can -- at a quantum level.”
Using drawings and short animations, she explained concepts that are hard for many grown adults to grasp. Quantum mechanics concerns particles smaller than atoms which can move in extremely peculiar ways. Quantum tunnelling, according to her video, is the term for when electrons moving in a wave have a chance of making it through a barrier instead of bouncing off, something that makes nuclear fusion -- and by extension, life on Earth -- possible.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 01:11 AM   #3539
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congratulations Maryam Tsegaye, welcome to Cambridge and MIT, as an added bonus in your spare time take the short trip across the Harvard bridge and watch your Blue Jays beat up the lowly Red Sox for the next few years.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #3540
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
It was awesome to watch live today! Sounds like the engines worked properly but there was an issue with fuel pressure.
According to a Scott Manley video the green flames at the end was from oxygen gas burning the copper inside the engine due to a lack of methane -the intended fuel-

Was cool to see them almost sticking the whole thing all things considered.

Link to video
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sluggo For This Useful Post:

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science