Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Transporting a newly purchased vehicle?

Hi,
Stupid questions, but never done this in Alberta.

How do you go about transporting a newly purchased vehicle from location of purchase to shop/house whatever?

My insurance agent is closed. Registries are closed. If I sign the bill of sale, technically I own an unregistered vehicle that is parked on a public road without insurance.
Does it need to be towed, and does that mean it isn’t covered should it get hit while in transport?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can’t drive an uninsured vehicle. You could transfer a plate you own for 14 days from another vehicle.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double post.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Presumably you can get insurance coverage added over the phone, and get them to email you proof of insurance. Then transfer a plate to it from another vehicle and drive it home.

If you don't have another plate, I believe you could get a friend who does to put theirs on and drive it to your house for you, but I've never tried that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get someone to follow you really close so nobody can see your lack of plate...how far are we talking?
Old 11-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have 14 days from the date of purchase to register a car. If you have insurance on another vehicle email the new vehicle info to your insurance company stating you bought it and are transporting it home, do not put a plate on it that's not registered to that vehicle, if you get pulled over have your bill of sale and proof of insurance(copy of email time stamped)
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You have 14 days from the date of purchase to register a car. If you have insurance on another vehicle email the new vehicle info to your insurance company stating you bought it and are transporting it home, do not put a plate on it that's not registered to that vehicle, if you get pulled over have your bill of sale and proof of insurance(copy of email time stamped)
You can transfer a plate from another vehicle you own for 14 days.

You CANNOT drive without full insurance. Emailing your insurance company won’t suffice.

From Alberta website:

Quote:
You can use your existing licence plate and vehicle registration on another vehicle for up to 14 days. You must also carry your proof of ownership document and insurance until you transfer the registration and licence plate.

Last edited by Weitz; 11-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup you have 14 days to re-register the vehicle. I just transferred my old plate to my new car. But you have to have insurance in place on the new car.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:45 AM   #10
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm from SK so take this with that in mind.

If you transfer a plate from one vehichle to another for the 14 day grace period you must have sold the first vehicle recently (I beleive less than a month). If you still own the vehicle you cant just use the plate on the new one. It is basically just to allow you to do a trade in or sell/buy on a weekend.

If you are transporting an unregistered/insured vehichle on a trailer it is not covered on the trailers insurance. In Sk you can buy a 48 hr or 7 day permit to cover it. I know Alberta separates reg and insurance so you can probably just buy temp insurance, I did this when I bought a bike in Ab and wanted to ride it home.

Any car that has all four wheels on the ground while on the road needs insurance. You can move it uninsured at your risk on a trailer or behind a tow truck, even a dolly, but if you are using a tow strap with a buddy it has to be insured.

Hope that helps. The rules don't really change much as insurers all have similar business models.
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Be careful with some of the information you are getting here. Transferring registration from on vehicle to another gives you a 14 day grace period. Simply buying a vehicle with no registration is a bit different, in fact there may be NO grace period. Now I know for a fact many people just throw a plate on the purchased vehicle and drive it home, not legal but happens often.

You must have insurance before hitting the road, and you cannot get registration without insurance. Step 1, Get insurance on vehicle, need the VIN number. Step 2, take signed bill of sale to registries and get new plate. Very simple process. Older vehicles (10 years or more) will require a recent safety inspection. You can also get an In Transit sticker from registration which allows you to have the vehicle on the road for a 24- 48 hour period but insurance is still needed for this.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Be careful with some of the information you are getting here. Transferring registration from on vehicle to another gives you a 14 day grace period. Simply buying a vehicle with no registration is a bit different, in fact there may be NO grace period. Now I know for a fact many people just throw a plate on the purchased vehicle and drive it home, not legal but happens often.

You must have insurance before hitting the road, and you cannot get registration without insurance. Step 1, Get insurance on vehicle, need the VIN number. Step 2, take signed bill of sale to registries and get new plate. Very simple process. Older vehicles (10 years or more) will require a recent safety inspection. You can also get an In Transit sticker from registration which allows you to have the vehicle on the road for a 24- 48 hour period but insurance is still needed for this.
If its not legal, why is it right on the Alberta Government website? Assuming of course you mean transfer a plate from a vehicle you already own.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #13
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If its not legal, why is it right on the Alberta Government website? Assuming of course you mean transfer a plate from a vehicle you already own.
Is this what you are referring to? It’s perfectly fine if you’ve traded the vehicle in.
https://www.alberta.ca/transfer-vehi...istration.aspx

I was talking about plate only, like you’ve simply taken the plate of off another vehicle you own or used an inactive plate for transportation purposes, no paperwork involved. You can’t just throw any old plate on a car and consider yourself “good”.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Is this what you are referring to? It’s perfectly fine if you’ve traded the vehicle in.
https://www.alberta.ca/transfer-vehi...istration.aspx

I was talking about plate only, like you’ve simply taken the plate of off another vehicle you own or used an inactive plate for transportation purposes, no paperwork involved. You can’t just throw any old plate on a car and consider yourself “good”.
But if you have an active plate, how in the world would they determine you don't plan on transferring it over?

Seems like a perfectly legal way to get the vehicle home/to the registry etc. The only problem would seem to be the plate-less vehicle you may then have at home. But if it's parked in your driveway, should be fine.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But if you have an active plate, how in the world would they determine you don't plan on transferring it over?

Seems like a perfectly legal way to get the vehicle home/to the registry etc. The only problem would seem to be the plate-less vehicle you may then have at home. But if it's parked in your driveway, should be fine.
The link also doesn't say that you can't do what you just described. Which I imagine basically everyone who buys a used vehicle does.

At the registry they will ask if you need a new plate or transferring an old one.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #16
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The perfectly legal way is to either get an In Transit permit or register the vehicle properly. Slapping a plate on that is registered to another vehicle is not legal, unless as previously mentioned, you've traded it in and then you have 14 days to transfer the registraion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The link also doesn't say that you can't do what you just described. Which I imagine basically everyone who buys a used vehicle does.

At the registry they will ask if you need a new plate or transferring an old one.
Yah, no it is illegal to drive an un registered vehicle on the roads unless you've traded the old one in and transferring the registration, in which case you have 14 days and keep your bill of sale with you. Driving a vehicle with a plate that is registered to another vehicle is not legal but for coonvenience sake many people do it.

I've curbed my share of vehicles in the day and anyone can do whatever the heck they want, but slapping any old plate on a vehicle and driving it is against the law. Really you are just asking to be pulled over and treated like you've stolen the vehicle if plate is registered to someth G other then you're are driving.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 11-09-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #17
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The perfectly legal way is to either get an In Transit permit or register the vehicle properly. Slapping a plate on that is registered to another vehicle is not legal, unless as previously mentioned, you've traded it in and then you have 14 days to transfer the registraion.

Yah, no it is illegal to drive an un registered vehicle on the roads unless you've traded the old one in and transferring the registration, in which case you have 14 days and keep your bill of sale with you. Driving a vehicle with a plate that is registered to another vehicle is not legal but for coonvenience sake many people do it.

I've curbed my share of vehicles in the day and anyone can do whatever the heck they want, but slapping any old plate on a vehicle and driving it is against the law. Really you are just asking to be pulled over and treated like you've stolen the vehicle if plate is registered to someth G other then you're are driving.
Do you have any sources to actually back this up? Both the Alberta and AMA websites don't say you have to trade in the old one.

You're not slapping any old plate, you are putting a fully registered plate to you on a vehicle for up to 14 days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #18
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, I'm pretty positive you don't have to sell or trade-in the other vehicle, at least not in Alberta.

This is what AMA says:
Quote:
Can I use my licence plate on another car in Alberta?

As long as the other vehicle is registered in your name, you may apply to use your licence plate on another vehicle. If you purchased a vehicle, your existing licence plate may be displayed on the new vehicle for up to 14 days from the date on the bill of sale. After that, you will have to transfer the licence plate and registration to the new vehicle or apply for a new licence plate and registration.
Sounds like driving a vehicle with a plate registered to another vehicle you own, is, in fact, legal.

Maybe Derek Sutton is not in Alberta? I think BC has stricter rules.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #19
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty positive you don't have to sell or trade-in the other vehicle, at least not in Alberta.

This is what AMA says:

Sounds like driving a vehicle with a plate registered to another vehicle you own, is, in fact, legal.

Maybe Derek Sutton is not in Alberta? I think BC has stricter rules.
In that quote the key word is apply, meaning your go to registries and ask to transfer/ get the plate transferred from vehicle A to vehicle B. Not simply use a plate that you snagged of your other vehicle.

I'm in AB
Old 11-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
In that quote the key word is apply, meaning your go to registries and ask to transfer/ get the plate transferred from vehicle A to vehicle B. Not simply use a plate that you snagged of your other vehicle.

I'm in AB
You apply if you want to make the change permanent.

You can just slap it on for up to 14 days without consulting anybody, which is obviously more than enough time to get the new car registered, and then put the old plate back on the original car.

(that's my read on the quote, anyway)
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote