Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Biden 6 66.67%
Trump 3 33.33%
Kanye/other/Independent 0 0%
Would not vote 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #41
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I think Canadians are actually underestimating in some ways how pivotal this election is. For not only the US. But the well being of the entire planet.

This is a true historical pivot point. In my opinion.
Over the last 4 years I've seen a shift in Canadian politics to the alt-right, politicans running on QAnon and other conspiracies. We just had the dirtiest municipal election I've ever seen where two candidates basically just attacked the front runners, made stuff up, lied and tried to bring down the decorum and debate at every turn. The sentiment of "I was elected, if the people want to elect someone who breaks the law and violates, our rules that's their prerogative!" is becoming accepted even here.

In the private world, I see many more "Screw the policies, norms, and by-laws I'm doing what I want, try and stop me!"

These things weren't issues prior to Trump.

Where the US goes, the rest follow.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #42
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CP is pretty on board with it.

I live in Whitecourt Alberta. Plenty of people on this community seem to think it doesn't matter either way.
On one hand, you have isolationism, protectionism, bullying of allies, disregard for science and climate change, and blatant racism and other deplorable attitudes.

On the other, you have a reintegration of the USA as a global leader in science, disease prevention, climate change action, human and civil rights, fair trade and strengthening alliances among allies.

It matters a lot to Canada what happens today.

oH BuT jOe BiDen StUtTeRs.

EDIT: Plus, what Maritime Q Scout says. The disregard of norms and decorum of running a democracy is creeping into our democracy and other Western democracies. The sooner we return to normal, the better.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #43
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I live in Whitecourt Alberta. Plenty of people on this community seem to think it doesn't matter either way.
In the grand scheme of things this election won't have much of an effect on my life. Maybe Biden slightly worse for Alberta industries, but I don't really believe that.

But there is a lot more on the lines in terms of civility and a return to normalness (I can't really think of how to say it, but NO trump). That matters a lot.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

First results are in. Biden takes all 5 votes in Dixiville, but put away those vuvuzelas, as Trump has the early lead by winning Millsfield 16-5. Probably time to shut it all down, Trump wins this election 16-10. T'was a good run.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/america...-day-1.5172326
Old 11-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

God I wish that were true....but it just isnt.

I dont always understand when Canadians think that Canada's fate is almost inextricably linked to the USA.

Do they see that little line there on the map? The largest single land border on the face of the Earth?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #46
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
God I wish that were true....but it just isnt.

I dont always understand when Canadians think that Canada's fate is almost inextricably linked to the USA.

Do they see that little line there on the map? The largest single undefended land border on the face of the Earth?
added to your post
Old 11-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #47
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

looking forward to sitting down in front of the tv this evening with a bowl of popcorn and watching the 'entertainment'.

what a gong show the u.s. is in right now
Old 11-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #48
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think so. Not because he's a despicable human being, but because he doesn't respect democracy and the institutions of government.

And he hasn't just ignored or disrespected the institutions, he wants to change or eliminate them. He is a very real threat to democracy.

And I think that's a pretty big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Thousands of preventable deaths are on the line for one thing.

The creep towards authoritarianism.

The undemocratic stacking of the courts.
Quote:
I think Canadians are actually underestimating in some ways how pivotal this election is. For not only the US. But the well being of the entire planet.

This is a true historical pivot point. In my opinion.
I guess what makes me suggest that this election is not that different from others is that we get this hyperbole virtually every time. We've seen it in Canada (the "tanks/troops in our streets ads were about 15 years ago now). We've seen this kind of posturing in the US as well going back years. People were campaigning hard against George W, Clinton and of course Obama. When Barack won in 2008 I felt like that was a historical moment just based on the race issue alone.

I'm the furthest thing from a Trump supporter, and I think that his social policies, in particular, are the polar opposite of what I personally think. His "handling" of Covid has been a mess. His inflammatory rhetoric has certainly emboldened other racists and bigots. All that said, I don't know if my dislike of these things and the candidate makes it more historic than say 2016, 2008 or most of the other elections I've seen in my lifetime?
Old 11-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Have we ever had a U.S. President openly admit that he likely won't accept the results of the election? Or inciting and encouraging violence? From that alone I don't know how anyone can view what is happening right now as the same as previous elections.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #50
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess what makes me suggest that this election is not that different from others is that we get this hyperbole virtually every time. We've seen it in Canada (the "tanks/troops in our streets ads were about 15 years ago now). We've seen this kind of posturing in the US as well going back years. People were campaigning hard against George W, Clinton and of course Obama. When Barack won in 2008 I felt like that was a historical moment just based on the race issue alone.

I'm the furthest thing from a Trump supporter, and I think that his social policies, in particular, are the polar opposite of what I personally think. His "handling" of Covid has been a mess. His inflammatory rhetoric has certainly emboldened other racists and bigots. All that said, I don't know if my dislike of these things and the candidate makes it more historic than say 2016, 2008 or most of the other elections I've seen in my lifetime?
I am sure someone else will reply more eloquently but Trump represents the actual dismantling of the American system of rule of law and democracy. Full stop. He has actively dismantled many of the institutions that make America a world leader on important issues. Just look at what Barr has done and then imagine another four years of that. Another four years and the USA will not be recognizable from the last 250 years. As a resource-rich country without any means of self-defence, this should present a pretty significant threat. This is the most historically significant election in history and will determine the course of the US, and the world, for years to come.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #51
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I personally think we're screwed either which way. Trump needs to go there's no question. But I don't think that economically Biden is going to be a good friend to us. I think that people need to get past the ages old concept that America is a true friend to Canada, its not, and we're in the bad position of over reliance on them and their decisions which is America first.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #52
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Please don't burn every city down.

Where will I catch my connector flights on my way to countries I want to visit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #53
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^Have we ever had a U.S. President openly admit that he likely won't accept the results of the election? Or inciting and encouraging violence? From that alone I don't know how anyone can view what is happening right now as the same as previous elections.
Yeah, and I agree that's obviously a problem. I suppose I'm optimistic in thinking that cooler heads prevail though, and he ends up sulking (which isn't exactly a bold prediction) and leaves.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #54
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^That's my hope too. Best case scenario is he loses badly, barks loudly, and then very quickly and somewhat quietly fades out - which could include him literally leaving the country to avoid getting hauled off to jail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #55
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
And only because the pandemic will finally be over later tonight.
excellent #### post.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Over the last 4 years I've seen a shift in Canadian politics to the alt-right, politicans running on QAnon and other conspiracies. We just had the dirtiest municipal election I've ever seen where two candidates basically just attacked the front runners, made stuff up, lied and tried to bring down the decorum and debate at every turn. The sentiment of "I was elected, if the people want to elect someone who breaks the law and violates, our rules that's their prerogative!" is becoming accepted even here.

In the private world, I see many more "Screw the policies, norms, and by-laws I'm doing what I want, try and stop me!"

These things weren't issues prior to Trump.

Where the US goes, the rest follow.

Honestly, I agree with this, but the deep Left in Canada has been horrible, why can't we just say simply that the political class, those that run for power will do anything to get that power, they'll lie, they'll promise unrealistically, Both sides accuse the others of hidden agenda's to generate fear.

What makes it super gross on the Alt-Right side is that they're just awful people with an awful agenda. But I think there's an over exaggeration that there's a alt-right political movement in Canada unless you count the PPC which is fringe and has been completely rejected by the voters.

I honestly think that somehow politicians should be held to a higher standard then most Canadians. If you lie during a campaign, jail, if you break ethical rules or steal funds, jail, If you ramp up hateful groups jail.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #57
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

When is a reasonable time to start checking results? 5pm mst?
Old 11-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #58
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

Yeah, that's when Florida closes and we'd start to get an idea of where things are going.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #59
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
5pm is the earliest it's worth checking, and only if you're really keen on seeing the very first results with Georgia being the only swing state. After 5:30, North Carolina and Ohio join the mix, and then at 6, Florida, Pennsylvania, and a whole bunch of non-swing states close and start reporting.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ight-they-get/
Old 11-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #60
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
the deep Left in Canada
Who is the "deep left" in Canada?
Closed Thread