Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #1061
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking with retention from either company is more of a game of chance than ever. Both companies have put the brakes on spending, so it's not like six seven months ago where you just call in name drop a company and they open up the wallet. It takes a lot of persistence and willingness to call back if the person isn't cooperating. It also helps to be nice, and be forthright about why you're calling. 130 isn't that great a deal cuz the cell phone is 0 with no data, but it's still well under what new clients get. If I had made that call in January I could have got it for 99 bucks I bet.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-13-2020 at 12:07 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #1062
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I've been on Internet 300 for $68/mo for the last 4 years now, originally with a 2 year discount deal that they keep re-upping me for every time it expires and I threaten to go to Teksavvy. Last re-up was in April, so I'm good until 2022. I doubt I'll re-up again as I can get Telus fiber in my new house, but it'll be interesting to see if they still offer that same deal again when the time comes
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #1063
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus only offers Internet 50 here which is a joke. I would switch to Telus in an instant if they had Fibre in my area. I'm just so tired with going back and forth with Shaw to get the service I pay for.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #1064
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

My plan expires next month and I didn’t even call them. They called me today to give me total tv and 300 internet for $110. $7 more than before so whatever.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #1065
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signed up with Shaw mobile yesterday and so far so good. $100 for a Note 10+, 256 gigs of local data and 2 gigs "roaming" data month. Already have internet with them.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #1066
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Signed up with Shaw mobile yesterday and so far so good. $100 for a Note 10+, 256 gigs of local data and 2 gigs "roaming" data month. Already have internet with them.
One thing to be cautious about with Shaw, is their coverage area is very small. If you travel (or even go to Banff) you’ll be using from the 2gb of roaming data, not the 25gb. The 25gb is basically only for Calgary proper (and a couple other places).

Food for thought for anyone considering. Though if you switch, Telus/Rogers will hit you with a great deal to get you back.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #1067
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

And to be fair the CSR was pretty clear about all that, including the Banff example haha.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #1068
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
One thing to be cautious about with Shaw, is their coverage area is very small. If you travel (or even go to Banff) you’ll be using from the 2gb of roaming data, not the 25gb. The 25gb is basically only for Calgary proper (and a couple other places).

Food for thought for anyone considering. Though if you switch, Telus/Rogers will hit you with a great deal to get you back.
Wow, so they don't have the extended roaming agreement with the rest of the carriers then. Huh, I mean I guess that would work for me right until COVID-19 stopped getting in the way of regular travel before being completely unusable from that point on.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #1069
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Wow, so they don't have the extended roaming agreement with the rest of the carriers then. Huh, I mean I guess that would work for me right until COVID-19 stopped getting in the way of regular travel before being completely unusable from that point on.
Well yes and no? You still have coverage when you're in Banff, for example, but you'll be on the Telus/Rogers network or whatever. They just have two different data sets. So you have 2GB of data to use outside of Calgary and Edmonton, and unlimited data (25GB full speed and reduced speed after that) within city limits. Though, with fairly easy access to wifi within the city, that's kind of pointless.

I switched because it was so much cheaper than my plan even though (like you I assume) pre-COVID I'd crush that 2GB of data with regular travel. But switched back when Telus came through with an offer giving me unlimited/25GB of data on a much much bigger network for the same price.

Basically, the Shaw plan is great if you don't leave the city much but below-par if you do (you can get more than 2GB from Koodo for $45). It could also be great if you travel... because maybe Telus or Rogers will give you a wild-good offer to come back.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #1070
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a corporate discount plan on my personal, so I get a really good deal from Rogers as it is. Does Shaw still do that $0 plan if you have the appropriate services bundled?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #1071
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think as long as you have Shaw internet you can get the $0 plan. I thought it was only if you added at least one $45 plan, but I do know someone who got the $0 plan by itself.

Even that's a pretty good deal. Little inconvenient because you have to add the data manually, but $10 per GB is decent (and it rolls over for 3 months). And the data on that plan has no limitations (so you can use it across the expanded network).
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #1072
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Obviously people aren't out and about as much these days, but I'd really curious to know how reception on the Shaw network is. They can claim a large service area but that doesn't mean much if it's a weak signal in random parts of the City. They mention using their Wifi hotspots around the City which I haven't found to be very good for speeds.

Last edited by Mazrim; 10-19-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #1073
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Obviously people aren't out and about as much these days, but I'd really curious to know how reception on the Shaw network is. They can claim a large service area but that doesn't mean much if it's a weak signal in random parts of the City. They mention using their Wifi hotspots around the City which I haven't found to be very good for speeds.
It's the same as freedom mobile was. Pretty much just rebranded.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #1074
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone with the wireless Blue Curve tv does your TV drop sound frequently for a few seconds? I never really had an issue but recently my TV has been dropping the audio very frequently. I thought it was the new TV that I bought because I read some reviews where it has audio drop issues sometimes but I noticed that both my TVs are frequently dropping audio so it must be the Blue Curve. I reset/restarted the cable boxes but I haven't restarted my modem. Restarting the boxes made no difference.

Before I get on a chat with Shaw I'm curious to know if anyone else has dealt with this before.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #1075
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
It's the same as freedom mobile was. Pretty much just rebranded.
Yes, I asked, and they told me its essentially what freedom is, which makes sense as they own that as well.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #1076
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think as long as you have Shaw internet you can get the $0 plan. I thought it was only if you added at least one $45 plan, but I do know someone who got the $0 plan by itself.

Even that's a pretty good deal. Little inconvenient because you have to add the data manually, but $10 per GB is decent (and it rolls over for 3 months). And the data on that plan has no limitations (so you can use it across the expanded network).
do any of you guys have that $0 talk&text plan from Shaw?

I'm curious how it would work because it says it runs off the Shaw WiFi at home - what happens if I leave my house and go to my parents who doesn't have Shaw? do you still have phone line/text?
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #1077
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
do any of you guys have that $0 talk&text plan from Shaw?

I'm curious how it would work because it says it runs off the Shaw WiFi at home - what happens if I leave my house and go to my parents who doesn't have Shaw? do you still have phone line/text?
You have talk and text no matter where you go (and I believe they use the same towers as Telus so you would have talk and text coverage anywhere a Telus user would), it's just the data that would only work on wifi.

But you can add 1GB for $10 if you want data that works outside wifi zones.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #1078
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You have talk and text no matter where you go (and I believe they use the same towers as Telus so you would have talk and text coverage anywhere a Telus user would), it's just the data that would only work on wifi.

But you can add 1GB for $10 if you want data that works outside wifi zones.
Ah, okay okay! perfect. Thanks for the info on that Pepsi
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:47 PM   #1079
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Shaw Mobile plans launch. $25/25GB freedom network + 2GB nationwide for those with their gig internet package

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-27-2020 at 10:00 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #1080
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Bluecurve app now has Chromecast support.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: