Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #821
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that Genesis is really pushing the envelope on original design, but is this interior a little too trendy, destined to be an eyesore in 6 year's time?

I've yet to see a car that got the wacky interior color (Volvo and MB/Audi included) that didn't look terrible a few years later. A pumpkin orange S60R a buddy had comes to mind especially. Either that or Prince has re-incarnated himself...

The oval in particular gives me pause.... seems like something Pontiac would have done...

I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #822
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m really not understanding these infotainment screen things. Spend your entire day looking at screens...my car is the exact last place I want to feel like I’m at the office or sitting on my couch. Can you even buy a moderately classed car without a ####ing tablet sticking out of the dash anymore?
Old 10-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #823
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I like that Genesis is really pushing the envelope on original design, but is this interior a little too trendy, destined to be an eyesore in 6 year's time?

I've yet to see a car that got the wacky interior color (Volvo and MB/Audi included) that didn't look terrible a few years later. A pumpkin orange S60R a buddy had comes to mind especially. Either that or Prince has re-incarnated himself...

The oval in particular gives me pause.... seems like something Pontiac would have done...
I might be looking at this through too narrow of a lense, but "Pumpkin orange", or some similar shade has been a 'trendy' interior for about a decade now. Though not common, resale trends would indicate it is popular enough to help rather than hinder marketability, including when it comes to the R Volvos...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #824
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’m really not understanding these infotainment screen things. Spend your entire day looking at screens...my car is the exact last place I want to feel like I’m at the office or sitting on my couch. Can you even buy a moderately classed car without a ####ing tablet sticking out of the dash anymore?
Genesis is really late to the game here. The tacked on tablet look has never been well received. You still get mostly screen interaction, but many manufacturers are now moving towards a more integrated look, such as the newest MB interiors, new Escalade, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #825
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Agreed, it’s absolutely ridiculous.

North America rightfully started coming down hard on distracted driving when touchscreen phones became widespread. “No you can’t look at your screen while driving dummies, it isn’t safe...... but we’ve approved tablets on all vehicles going forward”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #826
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're probably thinking of the oval third-gen Ford Taurus.

Apart from the ugly tablet looking like an afterthought, I don't mind the interior of this Genesis. It's clean and simple, but still makes a statement. I also like it when cars offer interiors other than black or tan...we need more of that.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #827
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

When I end up buying a GTI I'm pretty sure 99% of the reason will be for the tartan upholstery.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #828
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like what Genesis is doing. That dark plum upholstery is a nice change from the usual black or tan interiors we get.

G80 looks really cool but I have to agree with Demuro's point that Genesis is probably making too many overlapping versions of their sedan.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #829
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I might be looking at this through too narrow of a lense, but "Pumpkin orange", or some similar shade has been a 'trendy' interior for about a decade now. Though not common, resale trends would indicate it is popular enough to help rather than hinder marketability, including when it comes to the R Volvos...
I think we can all agree that choice is good, but outlier colors like pumpkin orange are going to appeal the the skinny part of the population bell curve, and resale will take a hit. Kind of like buying a lime green exterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
You're probably thinking of the oval third-gen Ford Taurus.
Oooh good one.

I was actually thinking more PT Cruiser in way myself (as I had one for a bit ...):

It will be interesting to see what resale values are like for Genesis. Will they plummet like a rock like a lot of other Korean stuff? To date so few have been sold I'm not sure it's entirely representative.
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #830
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The purple isn't for me, but in pretty much any other color combination, I think the new Genesis interiors are gorgeous.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #831
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think we can all agree that choice is good, but outlier colors like pumpkin orange are going to appeal the the skinny part of the population bell curve, and resale will take a hit. Kind of like buying a lime green exterior.
But that's my point - it was a poor choice to use Pumpkin orange of the S60R as an example. All else being equal, the used S60R with the orange interior will sell quicker and for more money than one with a normal black or beige interior.

Funny enough, of the cars that are actually available with a lime green exterior, they tend to perform better when it comes to resale as well

That's not to say that the purple of the Hyundai, er, Genesis wil fare as well, only that the examples chosen were inaccurate.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #832
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But that's my point - it was a poor choice to use Pumpkin orange of the S60R as an example. All else being equal, the used S60R with the orange interior will sell quicker and for more money than one with a normal black or beige interior.

Funny enough, of the cars that are actually available with a lime green exterior, they tend to perform better when it comes to resale as well

That's not to say that the purple of the Hyundai, er, Genesis wil fare as well, only that the examples chosen were inaccurate.
From personal experience, when I was looking at my first Aston, the sales guy said "Well I have two of them to show you. One is black on black, and the other is kind of a different color combination."

He didn't even get the word "combination" out completely before I said "Show me that one". I ended up buying it without even bothering to look at the black on black Vantage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #833
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

For appliances, stick to boring colors. But anything that can be classified as an enthusiast car, the unique color choice will always be more desirable in the long-term. The pool of people who want the color will never be as big, but the ones who do want it, will be much more passionate, and pay up to get it.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #834
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
From personal experience, when I was looking at my first Aston, the sales guy said "Well I have two of them to show you. One is black on black, and the other is kind of a different color combination."

He didn't even get the word "combination" out completely before I said "Show me that one". I ended up buying it without even bothering to look at the black on black Vantage.
Go on...

Quote:
For appliances, stick to boring colors. But anything that can be classified as an enthusiast car, the unique color choice will always be more desirable in the long-term. The pool of people who want the color will never be as big, but the ones who do want it, will be much more passionate, and pay up to get it.
Exactly. I didn't want to be argumentative, but I guess I should qualify that the first car to pop into my head when I hear "Pumpkin Orange interior" was a Ferrari 599 Aperta... Though, because it's a Ferrari, that's Hermes Orange to you

That said, I do know the orange interior (and the R-spec trim) in the Volvos is still very popular, and definitely favoured by enthusiasts. I suppose I wouldn't suggest an orange interior in your lime green CR-V, but my car-mind doesn't think like that...
Old 10-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #835
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Go on...
Jubilee Blue Metallic (custom order color) with a Caspian Blue and Sandstone two-tone interior. Still regret selling it, it was a gorgeous combination.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #836
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Alright - we can agree that enthusiasts will be the one to target those outlier colors, though said pool will be significantly smaller than the general pool of buyers.

But the Genesis - is this an 'enthusiast car' with legions willing to payup for a purple interior 7 years from now? This isn't exactly a Mclaren F1 in Gulf livery here. It's a luxobarge from Hyundai - I think it's safe to say no.

It's kind of as if the original LS400 came in pumpkin orange leather - I think it's sales could be charted on someone's hands and toes....
Old 10-29-2020, 10:44 PM   #837
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Jubilee Blue Metallic (custom order color) with a Caspian Blue and Sandstone two-tone interior. Still regret selling it, it was a gorgeous combination.
So basically like this one.

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/29265992-22.html

Or the coupe...

https://classicregister.com/vehicle-...-jubilee-coupe
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:18 AM   #838
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, I was going to say - Jubilee Blue was used on the DB7s (gorgeous as well!), but would have been an 'out of range' colour on the Vantages... Even if it's not to my taste, I usually* appreciate someone taking the time to create a unique specification for their car... Kinda like using a historical colour for a PTS Porsche.

*I say usually because there are times when it seems apparent the owner either didn't know where to stop, or did it more for resale in mind than personal expression...
Old 10-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #839
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I love the Volvo orange (Atacama) interiors. About 10 years I almost bought a used V70R and I was super excited because it had the orange interior option. I actually think it aged very well and it is a beautiful combination with a lot of exterior colors. The big thing for many of these types of interiors is that they don't always photograph very well. The orange Volvos can actually look pretty nasty in pictures but in person it is quite stunning. I haven't seen the purple Genesis but it might look great in person.

I've seen a few newer vehicles lately that have stunning white interiors and I would love to have white leather but the upkeep would be ridiculous. The worst part would be the disaster that the kids would cause on a white interior.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #840
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But the Genesis - is this an 'enthusiast car' with legions willing to payup for a purple interior 7 years from now? This isn't exactly a Mclaren F1 in Gulf livery here. It's a luxobarge from Hyundai - I think it's safe to say no.
There aren't going to be legions for any Genesis, but yes I think in 7 years, the purple interior will be more desirable than a black one to enough people. Partly because it will be considerably rarer (chances are you'd have to special order it, as dealers always order the safe colors), and partly because the purple itself is actually pretty muted. I see this more like Lincoln Continental with it's blue interior, or the maroon interiors you used to see in cars decades ago....a bit of personality, but not necessarily outlandish. You're not going to get some wild price discrepancy like with an enthusiast car, but I think both will be seen as the one get if you can.

Personally I think a white interior would be harder to sell after 7 years. Those can look really rough with all the staining and cracking.