Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #441
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I had a pre-screen interview that lasted almost 40 minutes last Thursday. The HR Coordinator told me she'd get in touch with a VP to see if there is anything else he'd like to find out, and that she'd try and get back to me Friday morning. If not, Monday (yesterday) would be the latest to advise of the next steps.

Should I follow-up with an email today, and if so, what should I send?

I've been with one company for a very long time, so I was surprised the pre-screen interview lasted so long. I'm not sure if that was a good of bad thing.
I absolutely hate this stuff and it is the most frustrating part of looking for a job. I applied for a role last week and received an email late last night, I was in bed, from the Talent Acquisition Lead asking if I would be available for a chat this afternoon. It is pretty short notice but I'm available as I have nothing else going on so I replied first thing in the morning when I woke up and checked my emails at 7:20. No reply from her at all today and I don't know if I should expect this chat to happen soon.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #442
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Stand by on this space,

I'm starting to work on some recruiting for the company I'm contracting to.

We're going to be looking for contract developers for the projects that we're on, at a senior and junior level.

My more immediate need is going to be a contract based copywriter that will work with us internally, and that we can refer to some of our clients.

My intention is to give CalgaryPuck members first shot at this, I'd prefer to leverage my networks before I go to Indeed or any job website. So when I post these here, if its you, or you have a friend that would be interested I'd be happy to talk to them.

I'll probably start posting early next week, I'm just working on the recruiting process, and your feedback of what you've seen and your frustrations have been invaluable.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #443
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
It sucks so bad in Calgary.

It's been over a year now without anything coming up. I might just pick up and move to Vancouver at this point.
Same for me. Around a year. Post IT Training too.
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR449 For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 10-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #444
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm looking for a recommendation about getting a resume service to re-write my resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile.

I uploaded my current resume the other day to Monster.ca and had Top Resume analyze it (they own Top Resume). I'm assuming this was all done through their software with little or no human intervention. The resume feedback I received from Top Resume was good, but it said that by resume was heavily weighted to older job experience than my most recent.

I received two calls from companies that saw me on Monster - both for job experience that I've had several years ago, and not really what I'm keen on doing right now. This was unexpected to me, but the calls I received were about my apparent heavily weighted experience.

Should I be skeptical getting the resume updated? Is this a nefarious plot to legitimize their feedback and get me to update it? I'm not opposed to it at all and think it should be done, but is having it done by someone online better than going with someone local?

CP - Thanks in advance for your feedback!
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #445
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It never hurts to get another set of professional eyes on your resume's and cover letters. We all go stale with them or become too proud of a design that might not be resonating. Top Resume did a free review of mine, and I made the changes and it certainly increased interest.

t looks like Top Resume was right about the effect of your old job experience being too heavily weighted.

If you want you can bounce your resume and cover letter off of me. It just might take me a few days. But its what I used to do in terms of recruiting, and I'm starting my recruiting up here again.

Anyways let me know if you need help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #446
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went through outplacement years ago and the consultant I had does resume services on the side. I thought her points, sometimes very pointed points, were really good and she helped my resume a lot. I don't know what she charges but I could put you in touch.

Biggest tip that stuck with me is reviewers don't have time to wade through lots of detail. If they can't get interested from the first 20 seconds and can't see where you'd be a fit, they aren't going further and looking at what you've done and where you've been. It's next, and onto the other 50 resumes. This is especially important with HR pre-screening resumes as they are looking for matching terms and impressive highlights.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #447
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been holding off posting anything as I obviously don't want to get ahead of myself but I have been interviewing like crazy this month. I now have 5 companies on the go and hopefully one of them turns into an offer. I did my third and final interview with a company this morning and they are making their decision next week. I am doing a third interview on Monday with a second company and a second interview with a third company. I also have a first interview with two other companies as well.

Normally I would be ecstatic about getting a first interview anywhere but wow this has been an overwhelming month and it has been great to really to a chance to formally practice real time interview skills and techniques. If everything falls through I'll be crushed though.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #448
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've been holding off posting anything as I obviously don't want to get ahead of myself but I have been interviewing like crazy this month. I now have 5 companies on the go and hopefully one of them turns into an offer. I did my third and final interview with a company this morning and they are making their decision next week. I am doing a third interview on Monday with a second company and a second interview with a third company. I also have a first interview with two other companies as well.

Normally I would be ecstatic about getting a first interview anywhere but wow this has been an overwhelming month and it has been great to really to a chance to formally practice real time interview skills and techniques. If everything falls through I'll be crushed though.
That's good news. This month has been better for me as well. I've had two interviews already with one company. Spoke to HR, and then about 30 minutes later she emailed me saying if I had time to talk to the hiring manager in about an hour on the same day, which I obviously made time for. Talked to him for 30 minutes and now the next phase is to prepare a presentation for a panel interview, which is what I've been working on for next week.

The thing is that I didn't even apply for this job, an old work colleague who works there now referred me and I just passed on my resume onto the manager. That was a week go. So within a week from passing on my resume to a friend I'm already onto a third round. Funny thing is that this company is in Switzerland so the job will be 100% remote and they are well aware I am in Canada and we'll have a huge time difference. It's nice to know that they are still interested and want to continue on. But they sure move fast! None of this wait for 4 months before even getting a PFO here.

Also got off the phone with a recruiter who is passing my resume along to the hiring company after I applied to that position just a few days ago. Hopefully I'll hear something back on that next week.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 08:10 PM   #449
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Applied for a job this morning - got a follow up call this afternoon. And then an indeed message after the call thanking me for the call.

Why can’t all companies be like this?
Old 10-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #450
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll be posting a contract position that we're looking to fill by Monday, I'd like to put it up here before I go to any job boards to give CP'ers the first shot at it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #451
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yet another PFO.... which I suppose I should be grateful for given that 95% of companies have zero response rate. True enough most of them now state on the application process that only those contacted will be contacted so we won't contact you unless contacted, or not.
Feedback from interview a few weeks back was a solid and firm we are reevaluating the position and need given current market conditions. Have also seen other positions recently withdrawn and not moving forward.
Tough situation really since some job postings seeking their version of a unicorn... and I feel that I fit the role 110% yet no activity despite a good cover letter, resume, and LinkedIn.

Guess I just gotta keep plugging away whilst my wife keeps ordering from Amazon.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #452
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Applied for a job this morning - got a follow up call this afternoon. And then an indeed message after the call thanking me for the call.

Got a PFO from this company this morning, I believe it was personally written.

Similar to RichieRich above, thankful fir the companies that actually care enough to follow up.

I feel like writing a good review for this company somewhere, and I’ll keep them in mind when I may need a contractor in their area in the future.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #453
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Been applying since May. Get at minimum people responding weeks after. If I ever get a response. Cant I get a hug fam?
The Following User Says Thank You to JR449 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #454
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
That's good news. This month has been better for me as well. I've had two interviews already with one company. Spoke to HR, and then about 30 minutes later she emailed me saying if I had time to talk to the hiring manager in about an hour on the same day, which I obviously made time for. Talked to him for 30 minutes and now the next phase is to prepare a presentation for a panel interview, which is what I've been working on for next week.

The thing is that I didn't even apply for this job, an old work colleague who works there now referred me and I just passed on my resume onto the manager. That was a week go. So within a week from passing on my resume to a friend I'm already onto a third round. Funny thing is that this company is in Switzerland so the job will be 100% remote and they are well aware I am in Canada and we'll have a huge time difference. It's nice to know that they are still interested and want to continue on. But they sure move fast! None of this wait for 4 months before even getting a PFO here.

Also got off the phone with a recruiter who is passing my resume along to the hiring company after I applied to that position just a few days ago. Hopefully I'll hear something back on that next week.
What field you in ? Sounds fun.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #455
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a great thread and I really wish I would have viewed it months ago. Cheers to the Captain for starting this up.

This may be a long shot, but my buddy is looking for a few commercial security installers. Anyone with experience in access control and/or CCTV. He is also may be looking for a residential alarm installer.

In April I was temporarily laid off and then permanently in Mid June. My ex-boss literally let me go by email - insert expletive here.

So I quickly called my buddy and 3.5 hours later I was rehired and back to ADT - who (as some of you know) I had worked for, for 12 years.

I'm working as a subcontractor, for ADT, but through my buddies company. There is a ton of work, so much that he's begging for installers. I believe he will take in someone as an employee or a subcontractor.

Again, just putting this out there but we need people with experience.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #456
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

React0r copy writer

React0r.com focuses on the digital startup space by providing research, planning and development assistance in a flexible way.

We're looking for a contract copywriter to work on both internal and client projects covering a wide variety of marketing strategies (eg. social media, usability, online marketing, and traditional advertising).

You will:
  • Collaborate within a team to craft high-quality copy.
  • Participate and advise in campaign development and execution.
  • Interact with project teams to understand business objectives and audience demographics.
  • Work on multiple projects simultaneously.

You have:
  • Demonstrable metrics of your copy’s success by CTR, conversion rate, and ROAS.
  • A keen enthusiasm and understanding of web trends and technologies.
  • Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to write in a range of voices and styles for varied projects with diverse audiences.
  • An ability to effectively juggle diverse writing demands.
  • A meticulous eye for detail.

You receive:
  • Flexible hours
  • Work from home
  • Competitive compensation
  • A chance to work with varied clients on interesting project

Please send your resumes and cover letters to gregba@react0r.com
If you know anyone that would be interesting please send them to me.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #457
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I have an interview on Tuesday for a position that sounds like a good fit. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #458
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

So October was quite the month for me. I had 6 companies reach out to me for interviews. I went three interviews with one company and signed an offer to join them starting Monday. Another company requested a third interview but I had already signed the other offer so I turned them down (they were really dragging out the process though but they were also in Europe so they might have been trying to figure things out on the fly for hiring me.) The company I really wanted to work for rejected me after the second interview. They had positive things to say but went with someone else although they told me to stay in touch and let them know if I see any interesting opportunities on their career portal in the future.

It will be nice to work again and to start a new career path which will hopefully last 20 years and take me to retirement.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #459
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
So October was quite the month for me. I had 6 companies reach out to me for interviews. I went three interviews with one company and signed an offer to join them starting Monday. Another company requested a third interview but I had already signed the other offer so I turned them down (they were really dragging out the process though but they were also in Europe so they might have been trying to figure things out on the fly for hiring me.) The company I really wanted to work for rejected me after the second interview. They had positive things to say but went with someone else although they told me to stay in touch and let them know if I see any interesting opportunities on their career portal in the future.
It will be nice to work again and to start a new career path which will hopefully last 20 years and take me to retirement.
Thanks for the feedback CG... that really is quite encouraging on many levels. Geologists tend to be the canary of the coal mine as it were for O&G development, production, and from the wellhead. Super encouraging that multiple companies were looking too.

Sensitive topic however any comment on the compensation type, range, STI and LTI, etc... versus what we've seen the last couple years and/or compared to your expectations?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #460
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Thanks for the feedback CG... that really is quite encouraging on many levels. Geologists tend to be the canary of the coal mine as it were for O&G development, production, and from the wellhead. Super encouraging that multiple companies were looking too.

Sensitive topic however any comment on the compensation type, range, STI and LTI, etc... versus what we've seen the last couple years and/or compared to your expectations?
You have to remember that I moved out of O&G to start a new career for the future. I went into Data Analytics and I'm starting at the bottom in a junior role. These types of roles along with anything related to machine learning are pretty hot right now.

In terms of compensation they offered about 10% more than what I was expecting as a floor and it is marginally more than what my starting salary was as a Geologist 15 years ago. I expect that salary progression should be pretty decent and steady and I anticipate that opportunities will be plentiful as I establish some experience in the field
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: