Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #121
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
A Perry jersey would look perfect hanging next to my Jagr jersey. He'd be a perfect signing for the bottom-six.
And when we'd need to stir things up, you could throw out a Tkachuk-Bennett-Perry line for a shift or two. That'd be one of the most infuriating lines imaginable.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #122
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Oh crap. I didn't know that...

Apologies.
Happened to that poor couple twice over the stoppage. He still came back to train and then play in the bubble, so his dedication to the team can't be questioned whatsoever. I'm hoping 2021 is great for the Lindholms, on and off the ice.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #123
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a good signing. You have to be really digging up some kind of dirt not to like a signing like this.

Fast, defensive guy for the PK who plays with sandpaper in his game, and already has friends on the team to ease his transition. There is literally zero to like, especially at that price.

I think the Flames sign one more, and then they are done barring some trade, and then it is PTOs for training camp.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #124
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I just find it hard to believe that you can't fetch better players than Rinaldo and Nordstrom for your bottom six, even at league minimum. Both are players I'd rather have earn spots through PTOs, but that's just me I suppose. I hope treliving knows we don't have to approach our 10th-13th forwards like its 2002.

If the goal is to have a fourth line that hits but also sucks eating up portions of the game for you then Brad is hitting a home run. Guy better be a good PKer.

The next forward move better be for someone with offensive ability, I will say that much.
You can get better players at the same league minimum, the question is will they choose the Flames?

Calgary isn’t some sort of preferred destination. If Lindholm wasn’t here, I doubt Markstrom and Nordstrom sign here.

It’s be great if we could sign Thornton or Corey Perry for $700k but let’s be realistic here, the Flames aren’t at the top of their list, in fact, they are probably at the bottom.

It’s free agency, which means the player has a say on where to sign.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #125
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh.

he's not Zac Rinaldo, so there's that.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #126
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Boston fans seem to really like this dude. Say he always goes out and gives it his all and turns it up big time in the playoffs.
Maybe he's our new Ville Nieminen.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cowtown75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #127
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Gawdin or a free agent signing. I wasn't thoroughly impressed with Ryan last year, though he definitely has his merits. We did have Jankowski sharing the responsibilities of centering the 4th line last year (when Ryan was on the 3rd). We can definitely give Gawdin a chance or pluck someone of free agency.
Wow, I appreciate Ryan's ability and contribution a lot more than some of you. If there was any fault in his play last year, it was due to the way he was utilized. The same can be said for a couple other players. I understand the concern about cost but not about his skill or effort.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #128
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

re: Ryan

I find it bizarre that people have forgotten his season last year. Sure, he wasn't that noticable in the playoffs so there's some recency bias at play (having to drag around poor 5v5 players like Zac Rinaldo and Tobias Rieder will do that) but he was one of our better players last season. He was 6th in 5v5 pts / 60 @ 1.75 (ahead of Sean Monahan and Dillon Dube) while getting buried with defensive zone faceoffs. We probably don't make the playoffs without Ryan.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-19-2020 at 07:11 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #129
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I love the Markstrom signing. It just chaps my ass that we have everyone and their timbit running Gaudreau out of town when he is having a bad playoffs, when Lindholm has been 10 times worse.
Quote:
Sorry. I guess it must chap your cheerleader ass everytime someone criticizes a flame! LOL.
What's with all the ass chapping?
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #130
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I just find it hard to believe that you can't fetch better players than Rinaldo and Nordstrom for your bottom six, even at league minimum. Both are players I'd rather have earn spots through PTOs, but that's just me I suppose. I hope treliving knows we don't have to approach our 10th-13th forwards like its 2002.

If the goal is to have a fourth line that hits but also sucks eating up portions of the game for you then Brad is hitting a home run. Guy better be a good PKer.

The next forward move better be for someone with offensive ability, I will say that much.
On the bright side, it's a lower bar for guys like Zavgorodniy, Phillips, Gawdin to clear to make the team. Not that that means anything given the lack of meritocracy here.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #131
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
The all Swedish lineup is set:

Markstrom
Andersson Kylington
Nordstrom Backlund Lindholm
Just like the Russian lineup in Detroit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #132
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
While he can play C, don't see him doing that in Calgary. His career FO% is bad.

He is a character player. One of those guys who puts his body on the line to help win. Helps fill in some of the PK ability lost in Jankowski and Rieder leaving.
Yeah, seems like Bruins hockey peeps state though he is listed as C he's essentially a LW.

I'm happy he displaces Rinaldo on the 4th line depth chart. And yes, also here for more Swedish flavour to the club.

A quick Twitter search summary:
- Bruins hockey tweeps seem to love what he brings - energy, never takes a shift off, good in the room, etc. - think he should have gotten a contract in 1-1.5 mil range (except for current economic times)
- Fancy Stats Tweeps: he be no good
Old 10-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #133
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
re: Ryan

I find it bizarre that people have forgotten his season last year. Sure, he wasn't that noticable in the playoffs so there's some recency bias at play (having to drag around poor 5v5 players like Zac Rinaldo and Tobias Rieder will do that) but he was one of our better players last season. He was 6th in 5v5 pts / 60 @ 1.75 (ahead of Sean Monahan and Dillon Dube) while getting buried with defensive zone faceoffs. We probably don't make the playoffs without Ryan.
I think Ryan has been fine since the Flames acquired him. I think we could get better bang for the buck though, considering how far down the depth chart he is. Although if one of our top 3 centers get injured, I feel pretty good having Ryan move up a line or two, compared to a typical 4th liner.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #134
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think Ryan has been fine since the Flames acquired him. I think we could get better bang for the buck though, considering how far down the depth chart he is. Although if one of our top 3 centers get injured, I feel pretty good having Ryan move up a line or two, compared to a typical 4th liner.

Not to get too far OT, but I agree with your point about Ryan being able to play up the lineup when needed. I know a team has to be careful about allocating too much salary to the 4th line, but if you are going to do that, I'd rather it be at center than on the wings. That center depth invariable becomes very valuable throughout the year. Ryan reinforced that for me this past season.

I confess to not knowing much at all about Nordstrom, but welcome to the Flames! I am now a fan. There's always a spot on the team for a heart and hustle guy who can kill penalties.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #135
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown75 View Post
Maybe he's our new Ville Nieminen.

Except Ville Nieminen's grin alone could throw a whole team off!

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 10-19-2020 at 08:47 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #136
Franchise Player

Exp:

YouTubing Nordstrom and you find a collection of highlights for blocked shots; fights; short handed goals, big goals and a personality and teammate praises.

Not bad for $700k. A few blocked shots from our 4th liners last year in the playoffs could have made all the difference.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #137
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved reading the Nieminen comparison earlier and Steeger’s comments on the kind of player your getting in him. Top notch pickup for the 4th line, this guy had the highest defensive zone starts percentage of all Bruins this year at over 72% and averaged 2 mins on the PK a night, your getting an all heart kind of player. Put up 3+5 in 23 playoff games when they lost to the Blues on their run. Big time pickup by Treliving in terms of character, work ethic and drive I give him full marks on this.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #138
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Backlund - Tkachuk
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Nordstrom - Ryan - Robinson
Rinaldo/Gawdin

Giordano - Anderson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Kylington
Mackey

Markstrom
Rittich

That’s how I see it at this point in time how about you guys?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #139
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
And when we'd need to stir things up, you could throw out a Tkachuk-Bennett-Perry line for a shift or two. That'd be one of the most infuriating lines imaginable.
That's a flip the table and quit line if I ever saw one.

The kind that would make any coach storm your locker room like Tortorella.

And for that reason we must pick up Perry.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #140
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Backlund - Tkachuk
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Nordstrom - Ryan - Robinson
Rinaldo/Gawdin

Giordano - Anderson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Kylington
Mackey

Markstrom
Rittich

That’s how I see it at this point in time how about you guys?
As of right now yeah.

Hoping to see an upgrade to the top 9 yet.

Also hoping that Gawdin, Phillips or Pelletier push Robinson down to press box duty.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: