Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #181
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Are Oiler fans that high on Puljujarvi really though? I know a couple Oiler fans and they have written him off. Is the consensus in Oiler land that he's a better prospect than valimaki? I get the joke but aside from their homer media, I'm not sure any reasonable Oiler fan has confidence in Puljujarvi as a top 6 solution. He's a bust and I suspect most of them understand that unless they are trolling.
Flawed premise.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #182
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Are Oiler fans that high on Puljujarvi really though? I know a couple Oiler fans and they have written him off. Is the consensus in Oiler land that he's a better prospect than valimaki? I get the joke but aside from their homer media, I'm not sure any reasonable Oiler fan has confidence in Puljujarvi as a top 6 solution. He's a bust and I suspect most of them understand that unless they are trolling.
But this itself is the principle point of the joke: the Edmonton media is unlike any other in professional sports, and their propaganda campaign on behalf of the Oilers is a constant resource of never-ending hilarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #183
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Yeah I was never assessing prospect value or progression ... just optics.

Guy leaves the NHL and scores at a good clip in a lesser Finnish league, leaving a discussion in Edmonton from over enthusiastic and grounded Oiler fans.

Then Valimaki comes along as a defenseman and puts up a point per game? That's just too damn funny and worth the ha ha.

Never should have created two pages of back and forth with two tires firmly on the rumble strips.

Oh and it's not hard to find fans on twitter suggesting he's back with McDavid and firmly in their top six.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #184
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Think you're missing the point.

Edmonton media and fans have been showing highlights of JP for a year, trying to make the case that he's ready to take the NHL by storm (no not all Edmonton fans).

He has one more point than Valimaki this year with one less game played.

If Valimaki goes a point per game in that league as a defenseman compared to what JP did last year as a forward it would be hilarious.

I'm not disparaging anyone.
I recall hearing players in interviews say they view this league as a pro league, but that the players are not taking it as seriously as they would in the AHL or KHL. For me this translates into the league being a valuable, highly skilled place to play....but don't read too much into the stats for anyone.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #185
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oiler fans I work with see Pulju as a reclamation. They hope he can become as good a player as Sam Bennett.

They have not forgotten that he snubbed them - though they will argue it was a snub to the previous management.
There is some pride that Edmonton didn't give into trade demands from an uppity prospect when value was so low.

I do not think Valimaki is too much on their radar yet. Pu-ju hype is only just begun. Probably a completely different story in a month or two though.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #186
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been on HFOil for a while but I would bet a lot of line combo projections there put PJV in the top 6. Whereas here, most are penciling Valimaki into the bottom pairing to start.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #187
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I haven't been on HFOil for a while but I would bet a lot of line combo projections there put PJV in the top 6. Whereas here, most are penciling Valimaki into the bottom pairing to start.
I bet they are. Puljujarvi will be top 6 but that doesn't mean he's any good or they think he is this amazing player. The Oilers have 3 top 6 forwards. Of course their projected lineups will have busts and ahlers in it. I wouldn't go off of message boards or Twitter to get a pulse on their fanbase. It's where the loudest go to congregate and it's the internet. Oilers fans I've talked to think puljujarvi is a roster filler, nothing more. Valimaki doesn't register with that fan base or any other besides us because of all his injuries. Hard to hype a player that has missed a full season of development plus a huge chunk of the year prior. Valimaki barely registers around the league as anything at this point.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #188
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just noticed this:

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/sta...286756866?s=20

Last edited by GioforPM; 10-19-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #189
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karpat is no good
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #190
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I bet they are. Puljujarvi will be top 6 but that doesn't mean he's any good or they think he is this amazing player. The Oilers have 3 top 6 forwards. Of course their projected lineups will have busts and ahlers in it. I wouldn't go off of message boards or Twitter to get a pulse on their fanbase. It's where the loudest go to congregate and it's the internet. Oilers fans I've talked to think puljujarvi is a roster filler, nothing more. Valimaki doesn't register with that fan base or any other besides us because of all his injuries. Hard to hype a player that has missed a full season of development plus a huge chunk of the year prior. Valimaki barely registers around the league as anything at this point.
You're really taking all the fun out of this.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #191
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will one of our Finns tutor us in how to pronounce "Tampereen Ilves" properly? I cringe in my own head at how I'm probably butchering it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #192
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find the bolded really hard to believe and I am surprised at how well connected you are.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #193
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Will one of our Finns tutor us in how to pronounce "Tampereen Ilves" properly? I cringe in my own head at how I'm probably butchering it.
You mean it's not Tamborine Elvis?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #194
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I find the bolded really hard to believe and I am surprised at how well connected you are.
I meant with fans obviously, and that's just my opinion. He has barely played in 2 years and people act like he should be a bluechipper in the eyes of other fans. Most fans don't even know who he is probably. I am still high on him but the amount of time he missed could be a developmental catastrophe.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #195
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I meant with fans obviously, and that's just my opinion. He has barely played in 2 years and people act like he should be a bluechipper in the eyes of other fans. Most fans don't even know who he is probably. I am still high on him but the amount of time he missed could be a developmental catastrophe.
Oh ok, sorry I misunderstood.

Rumours were last season his value was still quite high though, but I agree that was before another injury missed season.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #196
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1318596078527303680
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #197
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Looking good in the kultainen kypärä.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #198
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Whenever I see this thread updated I'm always terrified he's been hurt.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #199
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Good shot on a rolling puck.

He has all the tools to be a top pairing guy, only question is if he can keep his health in check.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #200
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love that one timer. We havent had a solid point shot potential since Gio had that bicep injury.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: