Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #2201
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i would like to be able to ride to work; however, i just feel it is too far to do as it takes me about 50m in pristine conditions - so throw in darkness, ice, snow i figure i am looking at about 75m each way easy. i'd further assume that it takes them an extra day or two to fully plow the pathways deep into the SE.

Went for a ride yesterday afternoon and i wore a jacket and tights - seemed odd to have that many clothes on.

But looks like the fat bike may make an appearance this weekend if the forecast holds. i am somewhat excited to try out the cycling boots i bought in august
Old 10-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #2202
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rolled over 6000km for the year on my commute this morning. Took the winter bike in case things get sketchy for the ride home.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #2203
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i would like to be able to ride to work; however, i just feel it is too far to do as it takes me about 50m in pristine conditions - so throw in darkness, ice, snow i figure i am looking at about 75m each way easy. i'd further assume that it takes them an extra day or two to fully plow the pathways deep into the SE.

Went for a ride yesterday afternoon and i wore a jacket and tights - seemed odd to have that many clothes on.

But looks like the fat bike may make an appearance this weekend if the forecast holds. i am somewhat excited to try out the cycling boots i bought in august

When I was working downtown pre-CoVID during the winter I would drive down to that free parking lot at the bottom of Home Road NW and then ride in from there. Still got ~20km/day riding and base fitness even in nasty conditions, plus the drive to/from parking was so easy (2 traffic lights only). So what I'm saying is for bike commuting to work you can also consider changing your start point, can vary it perhaps during the year, and then come spring/summer do the full commute 1-2x weekly for the bigger days.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #2204
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i have considered that; however, my issue would then be getting a winter commuting bike and i doubt the wife would be keen on me getting a 4th bike.

guess i'd rather leave my winter biking to the fat bike and keep it fun.

Maybe i will change my mind when my office downtown reopens - assuming i continue to have a job by then - and just ride the fatbike and deal with the mess in my vehicle. Of course i will have to see what the bike and shower facilities are like in our new office tower as my fatbike is expensive enough that it would be painful to replace if it was tolen. not to mention the continued bike shortage
Old 10-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #2205
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Might be time to put the winter tires on...

(yes, this is the right thread for this comment!)

Glad I got my ride in earlier today... a good 2.5hours on the gravel bike largely around a 60km loop of the NW quadrant. Stiff wind that got progressively colder, glad I had my cool weather gear including old school winter Shimano boots. Started snowing ~10mins after I got home so I was lucky. Definitely feels like my new Maxxis Ravager 40mm gravel tires are SLOOOOW rolling on tarmac. That said earlier this week took it on real gravel roads and through some snow and it rocked them. Today rode it on some loose and gravel paths, as well as up 12 Mile Coulee where most either hike or mountain bike instead.

https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best-gravel-tire-2/7/
Old 10-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #2206
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
^ i have considered that; however, my issue would then be getting a winter commuting bike and i doubt the wife would be keen on me getting a 4th bike.
Maybe i will change my mind when my office downtown reopens - assuming i continue to have a job by then - and just ride the fatbike and deal with the mess in my vehicle. Of course i will have to see what the bike and shower facilities are like in our new office tower as my fatbike is expensive enough that it would be painful to replace if it was tolen. not to mention the continued bike shortage
Are you able to repurpose or modify one of your bikes to be good for winter biking? Or you just use an existing one and just know you'll be replacing the drivetrain in the spring (plus a major overhaul)... I used to do that on my old Santa Cruz full-suspension for a few seasons.
For my drive-n-ride-n-ride-n-drive suggestion, yes the inside of the vehicle can get a little messy however that's easily managed with a throwdown length of rubber-backed carpet inside.
I never trust so-called secure-parking downtown anymore. Had a bike stolen that way. Now ALWAYS lock it up, even inside secure parking areas.
Lastly... if there's a will there's a way. Just gotta work out the details.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #2207
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I had a bike this spring that may have been a candidate for this; however, I opted to sell it to make way for my gravel bike. My mtn bike is way too nice to last more than two hours in the mean streets of Calgary’s downtown core.

But yes, you are right, where there is a will there is a way.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #2208
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

studded tires on your gravel bike, and a new upgraded drivetrain in the spring. It's a win-win
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #2209
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It would only be your fourth.. Should tell her that is not that bad . Ive got a dozen and my wife use to gove me some grief but even she has 5 now lol
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 12:34 AM   #2210
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Speaking of adding bikes....

It looks like I am going to take the plunge into fat biking and am going to get a cheaper entry level model. Just debating between a Rocky Mountain Blizzard and a Norco Bigfoot, the norco is 27.5” wheels, vs the rocky which is 26”. The rubber on both is close at 4.5 / 4.6 inches.

Any thoughts on the wheel size difference?

I’m not crazy about the Norco name, but it seems that it has slightly better componentry, and the bigger wheels.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #2211
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't ridden a 27.5 fatbike. I have built 27.5 plus wheels for friend's fatbikes to use their fatbikes in the summer.
Then I started looking and it seems more and more companies are going 27.5 on their fatbikes which is interesting.

https://fat-bike.com/2018/04/26-27-5...el-comparison/

Last edited by bossy22; 10-18-2020 at 08:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 02:11 AM   #2212
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi all,

So a close friend of mine who is really big into road cycling has been bugging me to get into or at least get a bike better suited for my "abilities".

Currently I just have an Infinity mountain bike I had bought from Costco maybe 15-18 years ago. I don't really road cycle but do enjoy hitting Calgary's pathways and some light rides around town.

Long story short, I think it may be time to get a starter road bike and he has recomdned a few.

One that he has been working a deal on is a practically brand new Specialized Allez. It's my understanding that these are high quality starter road bikes. Fairly lightweight and from a well known company.

I know nothing about bikes and I am wondering if anybody has any recommendations? I am not a hardcore cyclists but I really do enjoy indoor cycling for keeping in shape but I don't know how well that will work with Covid. I enjoy using the Keiser M3 bikes at my gym since they are high quality bikes and have no real issue sustaining a 75-90 minute ride.

I'll probably be using the bike for some longer rides once the weather improves in the spring. A few questions.

New or Used?
Budget: Approx $700-1000

I don't know if this "theory" can really apply to bikes, I am sure it can though. I have always been a big fan of buying a higher end product from a tier 2 manufacture as opposed to an entry level product from a top manufacture. I find the value, the performance and the quality can be maximized that way.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by curves2000; 10-19-2020 at 02:19 AM.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:33 AM   #2213
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Speaking of adding bikes....

It looks like I am going to take the plunge into fat biking and am going to get a cheaper entry level model. Just debating between a Rocky Mountain Blizzard and a Norco Bigfoot, the norco is 27.5” wheels, vs the rocky which is 26”. The rubber on both is close at 4.5 / 4.6 inches.

Any thoughts on the wheel size difference?

I’m not crazy about the Norco name, but it seems that it has slightly better componentry, and the bigger wheels.
Yup have both sizes. The 27.5 definitely is faster its closer to the 29+ in diameter. 27.5 have a few choices for tires . 26 have the lions share for sure.

Vee rubbers are probably the leaat tire I have ever enjoyed but on the plus side is the are studdable so you won't need new winter tires just a bag of studs.

Also what Suzie q are you looking at the ally 30? Because all the suzie qs have been 27.5 x 3.8 in recent history.

That being said the bigfoot is a better speced bike
Old 10-19-2020, 02:52 AM   #2214
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hi all,

So a close friend of mine who is really big into road cycling has been bugging me to get into or at least get a bike better suited for my "abilities".

Currently I just have an Infinity mountain bike I had bought from Costco maybe 15-18 years ago. I don't really road cycle but do enjoy hitting Calgary's pathways and some light rides around town.

Long story short, I think it may be time to get a starter road bike and he has recomdned a few.

One that he has been working a deal on is a practically brand new Specialized Allez. It's my understanding that these are high quality starter road bikes. Fairly lightweight and from a well known company.

I know nothing about bikes and I am wondering if anybody has any recommendations? I am not a hardcore cyclists but I really do enjoy indoor cycling for keeping in shape but I don't know how well that will work with Covid. I enjoy using the Keiser M3 bikes at my gym since they are high quality bikes and have no real issue sustaining a 75-90 minute ride.

I'll probably be using the bike for some longer rides once the weather improves in the spring. A few questions.

New or Used?
Budget: Approx $700-1000

I don't know if this "theory" can really apply to bikes, I am sure it can though. I have always been a big fan of buying a higher end product from a tier 2 manufacture as opposed to an entry level product from a top manufacture. I find the value, the performance and the quality can be maximized that way.

Thanks in advance!
I often tell people who come into the shop that have never ridden a drop bar bike to try one out first . It is a different feeling and a bit of a learning curve. Honestly for your budget I would steer you towards a new hybrid lile a kona dew or similar styled hybrid flat bar. Your going to get way more bang for your buck. Your looking at around 1000 bucks for a entry level dropbar that will be spec'd well under that of a hyrid priced the same.

There are some sub 1000 bikes by like 50 bucks or so but generally I would steer clear as the are usually speced with ####ty cranks and shimano claris which os really not very good and I have seen many warranty issues the last few years.

You could try for used but make sure you either have them meet you at a shop so you can see if the shop can give it a look over or bring someone who is very knowledgeable about bikes with you. I cant tell you how many people come into the shop after just gettimg a used bike only to have to quote them 200 to 600+ for a repair bill as they bought it with worn out drivetrain,worn rims,tires,bearings,shock bushings and blown seals etc etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #2215
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Yup have both sizes. The 27.5 definitely is faster its closer to the 29+ in diameter. 27.5 have a few choices for tires . 26 have the lions share for sure.

Vee rubbers are probably the leaat tire I have ever enjoyed but on the plus side is the are studdable so you won't need new winter tires just a bag of studs.

Also what Suzie q are you looking at the ally 30? Because all the suzie qs have been 27.5 x 3.8 in recent history.

That being said the bigfoot is a better speced bike
Thanks for the thoughts. Not looking at any Susie Q’s. Not a lot of sock out there of course.

The Blizzard has 26” rims, with Terrene Cake Eaters (4.6”) that are also studdable, which I’ll be doing as soon as I get it.

I’d prefer the 27.5” I think, but on the other hand the norco is in Edmonton. The rocky is right here in Cochrane at Bike Bros, so local service and maintenance is a plus. It would suck if the norco had an issue and it would have to get brought to Up North, or just pay out of pocket down here.

The local bike is a little lower spec, but a little cheaper too.

Thanks again.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #2216
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, I clocked 2500km total this year and it looks like that's about as much as I'm going to get. My first born is due in the next 2-4 weeks, so I think it makes more sense for me to be driving just in case!
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #2217
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I often tell people who come into the shop that have never ridden a drop bar bike to try one out first . It is a different feeling and a bit of a learning curve. Honestly for your budget I would steer you towards a new hybrid lile a kona dew or similar styled hybrid flat bar. Your going to get way more bang for your buck. Your looking at around 1000 bucks for a entry level dropbar that will be spec'd well under that of a hyrid priced the same.
There are some sub 1000 bikes by like 50 bucks or so but generally I would steer clear as the are usually speced with ####ty cranks and shimano claris which os really not very good and I have seen many warranty issues the last few years.
You could try for used but make sure you either have them meet you at a shop so you can see if the shop can give it a look over or bring someone who is very knowledgeable about bikes with you. I cant tell you how many people come into the shop after just gettimg a used bike only to have to quote them 200 to 600+ for a repair bill as they bought it with worn out drivetrain,worn rims,tires,bearings,shock bushings and blown seals etc etc.

As a person who's ridden/raced for ~25yrs I agree...
1. Yes there are high quality good used bikes out there, but they're not that easy to find and you need to be able to tell what you're in for. Buyer beware.
2. Consider an lower level gravel bike - they're not as aggressive as road bikes, have a lot more space for winder tires, but can also take the road tire. That said you'll like want a 2-chainring model with a larger chainring (ie 48t) to be useful on the road. A cyclocross bike will also almost get you there... and a buddy of mine is considering selling his 58cm Kona Dew Deluxe (it's in fantastic shape for a ~10yr bike) as his new gravel bike comes in Q1.

3. Bike shops will set you up best for sure, although you'll spend a little more on a new bike but get the warranty and proper fit. The used market right now is a bit stupid as people are asking ridiculous high prices for many crappy bikes.
4. Don't forget to budget for the proper riding tools and gear too. Such as basic multi-tool, lube, pump(s), helmet, and seasonal riding gear. Some of this stuff can be found cheap on local Kijiji or Marketplace.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #2218
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gravel bikes are so incredibly versatile. I've got a 2 year old Kona Rove NRB DL. I ride it everywhere. The big slicks on for the summer, knobbies in the winter. Great, great bikes.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #2219
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Gravel bikes are so incredibly versatile. I've got a 2 year old Kona Rove NRB DL. I ride it everywhere. The big slicks on for the summer, knobbies in the winter. Great, great bikes.

I managed to get my Specialized Diverge e5 back in April before the great bicycle scourge of 2020 happened and I could not agree more. rode it on everything from paths to the single track at Fish Creek to 100km rides out to Bragg Creek. Put these Specialized Pathfinder Pro Rubber 700x38 on the wheels and was awesome for everything, appreciated the smooth middle to minimize resistance on pavement:

Big Pic:
NSFW!
Old 10-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #2220
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love gravel bikes. My buddy has an Open WI.DE and he has three sets of wheels for it. Road Wheels, gravel wheels and 27.5 mountain bike wheels.