Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #561
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a big, stoned kitty.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #562
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 10-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #563
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Highly effective at letting people know that "we're jerks" as well.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:00 PM   #564
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

]I've really grown to appreciate that she's very talented and her voice just resonates with me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #565
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
Highly effective at letting people know that "we're jerks" as well.
Often signs that say "No Solicitors" never works. The sign is eye catching and in a funny way gets the message across that people will read and pass on.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:59 PM   #566
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I suppose. But it does irk me that people will go to the trouble to self importantly make a sign thats bound to make someones day a little worse. Many or most people knocking on your door are good willed people taking time and effort out of their day on behalf of a charity. Is it really such a bother to answer your door and say "sorry, but we're really not interested"?
Old 10-19-2020, 12:05 AM   #567
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose. But it does irk me that people will go to the trouble to self importantly make a sign thats bound to make someones day a little worse. Many or most people knocking on your door are good willed people taking time and effort out of their day on behalf of a charity. Is it really such a bother to answer your door and say "sorry, but we're really not interested"?
Yes.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:09 AM   #568
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To each their own...seems an overly elaborate way to say eff off when "no solicitors" will usually do and if not will give you an opportunity to say eff off in person which is what people who makes these signs want to do anyway but i digress.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:09 AM   #569
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

[n

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-19-2020 at 02:12 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:17 AM   #570
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm at home . I don't want a sales pitch . I don't want mormons or any other religious fanatics coming to bother me at home. No different than telemarketing. It irks me that people self importantly come to my home to solicit me for any reason uninvited. If I want to donate to a charity I will donate onlime or go to that charity or better yet donate my time at an event or food bank etc.

When I lived in Kamloops I had so many damn mormans ring my door bell. I #### you not it was at 7am once and I had had enough so I just answered my door buttnaked . I never jad a problem after that.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-19-2020 at 02:20 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 02:25 AM   #571
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I'm at home . I don't want a sales pitch . I don't want mormons or any other religious fanatics coming to bother me at home. No different than telemarketing. It irks me that people self importantly come to my home to solicit me for any reason uninvited. If I want to donate to a charity I will donate onlime or go to that charity or better yet donate my time at an event or food bank etc.
Fair enough, but i dont think that entitles you to piss on strangers. A firm sign ought to be enough, if thats disregarded by all means you've won the right to whip it out and start the stream. Pet peeve maybe, but i dont see why we cant be civil to one another at least up until the point of offence.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:02 AM   #572
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, but i dont think that entitles you to piss on strangers. A firm sign ought to be enough, if thats disregarded by all means you've won the right to whip it out and start the stream. Pet peeve maybe, but i dont see why we cant be civil to one another at least up until the point of offence.
It's my home not a store. If I want to buy or support something I will actively seek it out. These people never just leave with a simple "No thank you" They are taught whether its a charity or sales to be high preassure tactics. I'd rather just avoid the inevitable "#### off That will ensue. I don't like having to tell people to so I would rather they just stay away.

Also who said anything about pissing on people? I only came to the door naked lol

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-19-2020 at 03:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 03:44 AM   #573
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I get where you're coming from. I've been a cold caller a handful of times in my life. I worked for college pro briefly going door to door asking by any chance they felt like getting their house painted as a young adult with no money and no prospects and occasionally felt too awkward to say no to a charity organizer. I can tell you it's a stressful position to be in. Most people doing it have been put upon by someone else or it's genuine community outreach. Bosses are above it and so get the peons to do it. In the case of charity or community you sort of have to do it or nothing gets done. As such i sympathize with the plight of those tasked with it. Of course i tried to be polite and terse and respected and feared any notices by the home owner forbidding solicitation so it does get you down when someone goes out of their way to be nasty. The #$$# travels downstream as they say. President yells at vice president, vice president yells at senior executive, senior executive yells at junior executive, yells at secretary etc... As a cold caller you're at the bottom of that hierarchy typically. I know there are probably exceptions of people who get off ringing doorbells safe in the knowledge they'll irritate someone else but i don't think its the norm.

Edit: in the example illustrated by the video it was just some tottering old woman who i can easily imagine was there for a good hearted reason. If it was a bible thumping mormon i'm sure i would be more amused by it.

Oh and something funny; what I hope we will be saying after the election:

Last edited by doozwimp; 10-19-2020 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #574
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Sure it does. Because they are coming to your home to solicit uninvited.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #575
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

They always come at the worst time, when we are preparing dinner.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #576
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

One of my best friends ran in an elections. I helped canvass for him.

If a house had a sign "No Solicitation" or anything close to that effect, I'd skip the house. Any reasonable person should. If the sign said something like "we change money etc then I'd laugh, and move on.

If you are going to put up a sign, I have one small ask... put it next to your doorbell (or at the end of your driveway).

The one house I canvassed that had a no solicitation sign had it on the opposite side of the door to the doorbell. We didn't see it until after we rang the bell.

It read "No solicitation of any kind, religious or otherwise"

Once my colleague pointed it out to me I thought "oh f*** this is gonna be fun!"

As the owner approached the door (it was a screen door, so we could see each other) I spoke first as he approached and said: "I just want to apologize, we didn't see your sign until after we rang the bell. Again, sorry, we'll leave you alone but I didn't want to ring the bell and run. We were just stopping by to canvass on behalf of (candidate's name) again sorry have a great rest of your day." Thankfully he responded "(Candidate's name)? I saw him on the news, I love him and everything he stands for. I want you to put the biggest sign you have at the end of my driveway..." and then he proceeded to tell us why we should vote for our candidate. It was a nice bullet dodge.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #577
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #578
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Jump to 43 seconds for the gold.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #579
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
]I've really grown to appreciate that she's very talented and her voice just resonates with me.

Miley Cyrus is, quite good.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #580
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Miley Cyrus is, quite good.
Sounds like a lot of vocal filters running...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote