Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #1221
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Just watched the premier this morning and while I was totally disorientated with what was going on, I figured things out as the episode went on. Burnam and Book have pretty good chemistry

The future feels significantly different than the established timeline, and I for one was ready to move on. Looking forward to exploring this future
I remember saying this when they made Star Trek: Enterprise and when they announced STD, why are they always going backwards?

Going forwards in time just seems to make so much more sense. Maybe not quite so far forward, but you get the idea.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #1222
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Didnt they do this already?

Wasnt the 'Big Bad' ship in Star Trek 2009 that mowed through Starfleet like a hot knife through butter just a run-of-the-mill mining ship from the relatively near future?

Well yeah, but it had also had some serious weapons upgrades.

Oh and err Red Matter

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #1223
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I remember saying this when they made Star Trek: Enterprise and when they announced STD, why are they always going backwards?

Going forwards in time just seems to make so much more sense. Maybe not quite so far forward, but you get the idea.

I didn't mind the idea of Enterprise, I liked the idea of the first real warp capable ship for deep space exploration, especially when other races were laughing at Enterprises defensive capabilities. "Ok, hull plating and missiles, LOL"

I think Discovery could have been far better if they didn't try to re-invent everything with the awful Klingons, the Spore Drive and reconstructing the Mirror Universe. They also made too many doofus characters.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #1224
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry, I'm jumping in to see if the last two seasons were worth watching, because the first season was so bad. I think that I've a handle on that answer.

As to why they won't go forward with storytelling, the answer is basically Janeway. Once they made her stronger than the Borg, and I seem to remember a couple of episodes where she was stronger than Q, the game was pretty much over.

As long as a combination of Kurtzman and anyone who had a hand in Voyager is still allowed to shape Star Trek, they do not have the imagination to fix the existing timeline. Kelvin is a mess, and whatever Discovery is seems to be even worse.

Picard seemed like an attempt to fix the OG timeline, but again the showrunners and producers were the same old crapazoids, so the result of that is predictable.

Star Trek is in a sad state. It's future shouldn't hang on a cartoon and Orville. But here we are.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #1225
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't really get the logic of laughing at Burnham about the ancient phaser. Like, ya, it's old, but all you have is a knife. I'd rather have an old phaser than a knife.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #1226
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Sorry, I'm jumping in to see if the last two seasons were worth watching, because the first season was so bad. I think that I've a handle on that answer.

As to why they won't go forward with storytelling, the answer is basically Janeway. Once they made her stronger than the Borg, and I seem to remember a couple of episodes where she was stronger than Q, the game was pretty much over.

As long as a combination of Kurtzman and anyone who had a hand in Voyager is still allowed to shape Star Trek, they do not have the imagination to fix the existing timeline. Kelvin is a mess, and whatever Discovery is seems to be even worse.

Picard seemed like an attempt to fix the OG timeline, but again the showrunners and producers were the same old crapazoids, so the result of that is predictable.

Star Trek is in a sad state. It's future shouldn't hang on a cartoon and Orville. But here we are.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Star Trek painted itself into this corner and they have no one to blame but themselves.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #1227
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I didn't really get the logic of laughing at Burnham about the ancient phaser. Like, ya, it's old, but all you have is a knife. I'd rather have an old phaser than a knife.

I think it was used as a device to illustrate the difference in eras they were from. Initially I thought Book had actually come through the wormhole with them from the same timeline.

Though, if I had a pocket knife and somebody else was carrying around a sabre, it would probably be amusing, despite the relative effectiveness being greater.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #1228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think it was used as a device to illustrate the difference in eras they were from. Initially I thought Book had actually come through the wormhole with them from the same timeline.

Though, if I had a pocket knife and somebody else was carrying around a sabre, it would probably be amusing, despite the relative effectiveness being greater.
Opportunity Missed.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #1229
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m not quite done but I like S1. Eps 3-14 are solid so far. Yeah it’s not an ensemble show and yeah it has evolved past “old” trek but it is engaging and entertaining. I also wouldn’t say it’s mindless or dumb either even if it doesn’t have a lot in common with TNG or DS9.

I don’t really give a #### about timelines or canon or Trek “feel” so it doesn’t bother me that the show borrows when it wants and ignores when convenient trek lore or history. All that matters to me is that the story they tell is interesting and I find it interesting.

My only real complaint is that the side characters get a lot of screen time, like the redhead with the implant and the black lady helmsman, but get no dialogue or characterization beyond repeating commands or relaying sensor readings to the captain. It’s basically all about Michael and the war/spores/Tyler. But they want to make a plot driven show and that’s fine as the plot is fine.

I don’t hate any of the characters, which is a positive. Even though I liked Picard, every time Allison Pill was on screen I was secretly hoping she’d finally die that episode.

I also like Picard though, for different reasons, as it felt much more old school with the focus on our humanity winning the fight where weapons can’t. And yes Picard used the old infiltrator in star fleet thing that I hate but it was only 1 lady and the show wasn’t about that anyways.

Even the infiltrators in Discovery didn’t feel like an FU to fans the way Into Darkness was. Literally everything about that abortion of a movie felt like it was designed to #### on ST lore and old school fans, while simultaneously raping it like that South Park episode about Indiana Jones.

At least this show borrows but doesn’t completely crap on the lore and history of the franchise. They’re forging their own path, even if it’s pretty far off from previous ST series.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-18-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #1230
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Not a fan of the finale. Liked where they were going but it was so rushed. Very poorly executed.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #1231
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Discovery's 1st episode was about a 6.5 out of 10 for me. Better than the garbage that was Picard, but Lower Decks is quite a bit better.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:59 PM   #1232
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

S2. E1 felt like they wanted to show off their big new budget. But not bad overall. E2 was a massive failure when they were on the planet. Pike refuses to break the prime directive even though they’re living a lie and the one guy knows it’s a lie? Stooooopid.

Otherwise I enjoyed it.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-18-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #1233
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oh good lord this storyline about the red head nervous girl seeing ghosts is the dumbest ####ing thing I’ve ever seen. It’s series ruining bad. Does it end quick? I can’t take it anymore. I feel like I’m watching a Larry David show, the second hand embarrassment is that bad. Except I’m not laughing like I should be.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #1234
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Oh good lord this storyline about the red head nervous girl seeing ghosts is the dumbest ####ing thing I’ve ever seen. It’s series ruining bad. Does it end quick? I can’t take it anymore. I feel like I’m watching a Larry David show, the second hand embarrassment is that bad. Except I’m not laughing like I should be.

Watch Short Treks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #1235
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Spock being an escaped mental patient obsessed with Angels who have some connection to these red dots has me interested though. And whatever is happening with Tyler/Vok on Kronos.

But please, no starfleet conspiracies. I hate starfleet conspiracies. Secretly evil/incompetent/traitorous starfleet is my most hated of all trek storylines. Or any storyline, really, trek or not.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #1236
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

But please, no starfleet conspiracies. I hate starfleet conspiracies. Secretly evil/incompetent/traitorous starfleet is my most hated of all trek storylines. Or any storyline, really, trek or not.

Section 31 is amazing and how dare you.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #1237
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Section 31 is amazing and how dare you.
Cecil is Section 31. It's a double bluff.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #1238
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Ok I liked Section 31 in DS9 but they pushed it about as far as it could go. Don’t make me go on another Into Darkness rant.

Loving these Trek shorts. They feel like underdeveloped episodes of what Discovery could be if they went more episodic instead of serialized.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #1239
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok I liked Section 31 in DS9 but they pushed it about as far as it could go. Don’t make me go on another Into Darkness rant.

Loving these Trek shorts. They feel like underdeveloped episodes of what Discovery could be if they went more episodic instead of serialized.

The absolute best was the Jon H Benjamin and Alita actress Tribble episode.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #1240
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oh goddamnit. Section 31 is in this too? Boooooooo! Gene Roddenberry is rolling in his grave. They better not eff this up.

Next we’ll find out Picard is actually Sec 31 double agent and S2 of Picard will be him pulling off Dexter like assassinations across the galaxy.