Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #3461
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
A lot of courses were originally looking at Oct 28 as a possible end of season. I'd imagine most will pack it in now. Just got the city of Calgary alert as they switched to an immediate closure on all courses.
Yeah, that’s probably about it. It’s been a great year and I played more than I did any other. I’m just glad we were able to play and enjoy what was a really good summer here.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:43 AM   #3462
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
A lot of courses were originally looking at Oct 28 as a possible end of season. I'd imagine most will pack it in now. Just got the city of Calgary alert as they switched to an immediate closure on all courses.
Played Speargrass a week ago and they said the 25th. I can see that changing with the forecast.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:04 AM   #3463
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

RIP 2020 golf season. It sounded like a good one. Keep up the good fight in the off season fellow golfers.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:33 AM   #3464
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Played Speargrass a week ago and they said the 25th. I can see that changing with the forecast.
Speargrass sent out an email yesterday saying they were shutting things down for the season. I managed to get out there on Friday and it was a lot of fun but really slow and backed up. 16/17/18 were are disaster with those holes backed up three groups deep.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:54 AM   #3465
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that is interesting to me as i would have thought that all golf courses would push the envelope to maximize cash flow after a season where their revenues may have been down - but maybe that is a incorrect assumption on my part

of course that has to be balanced against protecting the infrastructure/greens etc.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #3466
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ that is interesting to me as i would have thought that all golf courses would push the envelope to maximize cash flow after a season where their revenues may have been down - but maybe that is a incorrect assumption on my part

of course that has to be balanced against protecting the infrastructure/greens etc.
Most courses have seen a huge uptick in revenue this summer with increased demand for tee times and courses almost filled to capacity each day.

There's the risk of not getting the greens tarped before a major snowfall.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #3467
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most courses have seen a huge uptick in revenue this summer with increased demand for tee times and courses almost filled to capacity each day.

There's the risk of not getting the greens tarped before a major snowfall.
Well the issue is zero (or basically zero) tournament revenue. So they got a lot of tee times, but lost that chunk, and that’s a lot of cash for the courses.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #3468
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the issue is zero (or basically zero) tournament revenue. So they got a lot of tee times, but lost that chunk, and that’s a lot of cash for the courses.
Let me explain in a different way.

My course has had it's best year of revenues despite losing the coveted corporate tourney's like Shell Oil. Green fee players filled up the empty tee times in the afternoons and evenings that were empty in years past. When your course is running at over 90% capacity, like many others it more than makes up for the lost of tournament revenue.

To be clearer, revenues from years past tournaments were compared to the extra green fee revenues earned this year.

Last edited by Dion; 10-15-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: more added
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #3469
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i guess i was thinking that with the late start to the season, more minutes between tee times and some of the crummy weather thru the start of July and the relatively crappy alberta economy that they might be hurting.

Good to hear that i may be wrong
Old 10-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #3470
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i guess i was thinking that with the late start to the season, more minutes between tee times and some of the crummy weather thru the start of July and the relatively crappy alberta economy that they might be hurting.

Good to hear that i may be wrong
What also helped golf courses was the limited amount activities people could participate in. No organised football, soft ball, baseball, lacrosse etc. It could be argued many of those people chose to play golf or take it up for the first time.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #3471
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn. I was hoping to get out at least one more time this year. The forecast sure plummeted. Hopefully a late October chinook is on it's way
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #3472
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let me explain in a different way.

My course has had it's best year of revenues despite losing the coveted corporate tourney's like Shell Oil. Green fee players filled up the empty tee times in the afternoons and evenings that were empty in years past. When your course is running at over 90% capacity, like many others it more than makes up for the lost of tournament revenue.

To be clearer, revenues from years past tournaments were compared to the extra green fee revenues earned this year.
Yeah and it will be different for courses that have public bookings. For my course that's not the case, and they definitely got hit with the loss of tournament revenue. If I play an extra 20 times a year, they get the same amount of money from me. They came out alright, but that was due to cuts elsewhere to balance things out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #3473
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah and it will be different for courses that have public bookings. For my course that's not the case, and they definitely got hit with the loss of tournament revenue. If I play an extra 20 times a year, they get the same amount of money from me. They came out alright, but that was due to cuts elsewhere to balance things out.
Yah I've talked to a few of the shops I have played at and while tee times are way up, revenues are the same ish but mostly lower.

The hope is that tourneys can return in full force next year and the interest stays high so tee times are filled.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #3474
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, point taken
Old 10-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #3475
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dion your course may be in a different situation than some of the Calgary courses.

There are a few in town that host 1-2 tourneys every 10 days in the summer. Thats huge money.

And this totally leaves out all the weddings that were missed this year.

Suffice to say I think a lot of courses are happy with this year all things considered. Lets hope it keeps up over the next few years so we don't lose courses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #3476
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Dion your course may be in a different situation than some of the Calgary courses.

There are a few in town that host 1-2 tourneys every 10 days in the summer. Thats huge money.

And this totally leaves out all the weddings that were missed this year.

Suffice to say I think a lot of courses are happy with this year all things considered. Lets hope it keeps up over the next few years so we don't lose courses.
In hindsight I should have stated my course was a unique situation. From what you and Slava have posted I should have given what I said more research
Old 10-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #3477
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Redwood Meadows had 5000 more rounds played than last year. That was a big uptick for them.

Not a big tournament club though.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #3478
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If gathering limits get dropped by next spring because of vaccines and what not the amount of weddings will be huge.

I attended one at a golf course this past weekend and they said it was the only one they hosted this year as everyone else cancelled/postponed!
Old 10-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #3479
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I attended one at a golf course this past weekend and they said it was the only one they hosted this year as everyone else cancelled/postponed!
2045 will be a very bleak year for the Silver industry.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #3480
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be interested to see how (overall) golf courses faired this season compared to a typical season. Tee sheets seemed to be packed solid so revenue was up (minus tournaments). But how much extra did the Covid protocols cost (sanitization etc.) and I saw a lot of courses not running a beverage cart too. I wonder how it all worked out in the end.

Two other thoughts I have had:

1. how did you feel about many of the Covid adjustments? no raking bunkers, flag sticks stay in hole etc. The flag stick thing was pretty much a non event for me, I didn't really miss not being able to remove it when putting. Does that speed up pace of play?

2. given all the trepidation when courses opened, were there any documented Covid cases traced back to golf courses? I don't recall hearing of any. Good news if that is truly the case. The year end email summary from one of the courses I have played in BC mentioned they had exactly zero reported/observed issues of people not following protocols. Overall I think people were pretty good about playing by the rules this year (not golf rules!)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow