Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Made with the philosophy of "make the POs and hope Price steals us the Cup."
Price ain’t Price any more, is the problem.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #22
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
They are going to be in cap hell soon, this makes the Allen extension even more bizarre.

Maybe they think they can move Weber or he retires when his salary starts dropping in 21/22.
I'm not sure if I would agree they will be in cap hell.

They're at the cap depending on which extra forwards and bottom pairing defenseman make the team. They might even be required to trade a smaller contract like Weal's to become cap-compliance this year but they probably aren't in a huge worry about getting under for the start of training camp.

Expiring at the end of this year are Tatar, Danault, Armia and Weal's contract. Allen's contract next year is lower when his extension kicks in. So that's roughly 13.5M.

They'll need to replace/re-sign the forwards but there's a decent amount of cap-space to play with next year despite this extension. Yeah, if Tatar has another strong year and they want to re-sign him or Kotkaniemi breaks out, they make need to make some moves but realistically whatever team makes opening roster for them this year could probably fit next year with maybe the loss of someone like Armia.

And then the following year Weber's contract nosedives and I don't think anyone would be surprised if they somehow get out of it (retire, trade etc.) to go along with Alzner's buyout dipping.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #23
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he's a good player, therefore good signing. They've leaned on him bigtime the last couple of years. Agreed the team has alot of '20 goal scorers' on it.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #24
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Price ain’t Price any more, is the problem.
For sure, but as long as he's making the 10M+ for them, they know they will only make noise if he plays well. I don't know if any other team will rely on a player as much right now.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #25
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Gallagher making $250k less than Johnny with a career high of 54 points.

Gallagher making $1M more than Josh Anderson.

Both are true, Neither makes sense.

While your point remains, their contracts were signed at different stages of their careers.

Johnny’s looks high compared to elite players on their ELC’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #26
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That’s a really great deal for MTL. He is worth more than that.

Strange team though. That center depth is very suspect. They must really believe in Kotkaniemi and Suzuki.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
That’s a really great deal for MTL. He is worth more than that.

Strange team though. That center depth is very suspect. They must really believe in Kotkaniemi and Suzuki.
I like Suzuki but he’s a 3C that might become a 2C one day. Maybe.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #28
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/marcpdumont/stat...531682816?s=21
Old 10-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #29
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Suzuki went straight from the OHL to the NHL and as a 20 year old rookie was on pace for 47 points. Then in 10 playoff games he played 19 minutes per game and put up 0.7 points per game.

I'd say he has #1C potential easily, and might be there as early as next season. It's not like he doesn't have the pedigree for it as a former 13th overall who torched the OHL at 1.7 points per game.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

This illustrates my problem with the popularity of 5on5 stats - according to this tweet, and these stats, Gallagher is the best forward in the NHL.

5on5 stats are very useful, however, it is important to remember that scoring 5on5 is difficult and there isn't much separation between players. So a couple goals one way or the other and a player moves way up or down the standings.

Also, there is a reason that some players get the PP time. And the reason is that those players actually PRODUCE. Ignoring that production is pretty silly IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Suzuki went straight from the OHL to the NHL and as a 20 year old rookie was on pace for 47 points. Then in 10 playoff games he played 19 minutes per game and put up 0.7 points per game.

I'd say he has #1C potential easily, and might be there as early as next season. It's not like he doesn't have the pedigree for it as a former 13th overall who torched the OHL at 1.7 points per game.
I hope he does - I like him. I just don’t see it in his game so far.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #32
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It says he’s the best at getting shots/scoring chances in the NHL...which is probably true.

His issue is his finishing ability isn’t great, and he doesn’t do a great job of generating scoring chances for his linemates.

But when it comes to going to the dirty areas himself he’s great.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-14-2020 at 07:23 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #33
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This illustrates my problem with the popularity of 5on5 stats - according to this tweet, and these stats, Gallagher is the best forward in the NHL.

5on5 stats are very useful, however, it is important to remember that scoring 5on5 is difficult and there isn't much separation between players. So a couple goals one way or the other and a player moves way up or down the standings.

Also, there is a reason that some players get the PP time. And the reason is that those players actually PRODUCE. Ignoring that production is pretty silly IMO.
Nobody is saying he is the best forward in the NHL. He is just really good at a few key things ie) getting into high percentage areas and actually getting quality shots off. He works harder than anyone, but he doesn't have the natural skill of the true superstars.

A player with that type of skill, coupled with his ability to grind, hit, and fight is very valuable. I'm just illustrating that this is a great contract for the team.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know he's scored 30 goals but he's a 50 point player and I can see him rounding out into a Lance Bouma bottom 6 forward on the back half of the deal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #35
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a fan of a lot of the smaller players who play hard and have persevered, but I really think the dollar value was too high by $1MM/season, and certainly the length too long by 3 years. I'm also a fan of Gallagher, but this just isn't a good deal for the guy in this environment. The fans will eat him alive when he isn't producing up to his contract.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:10 PM   #36
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the way he plays and what he brings night in and night out. Going to be tough to stay healthy for six years and contribute in the way he does currently though.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #37
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Suzuki was already a 2C be the end of the season. He has real potential to be a 1C, and soon.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #38
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Gallagher making $250k less than Johnny with a career high of 54 points.

Gallagher making $1M more than Josh Anderson.

Both are true, Neither makes sense.
And what about Gallagher making 200k more than MacKinnon in his prime?
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #39
jesters91
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=sureLoss;7612662]Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
After the meltdown in talks yesterday morning, Gallagher’s camp and Habs circled back to each other last night and got back on track and get working at it today. Both sides admit there was a misunderstanding which agent Gerry Johansson and GM Marc Bergevin cleared up last night.

The "misunderstanding" was anybody thinking Gallagher would be signing for less than Josh Anderson's AAV.

Still, as much as I really like Gallagher that's a lot of cash to commit to him. Not unexpected though.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #40
jesters91
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think that is a garbage team. No superstars, mostly players near or over 30, and capped out. Might be good enough to make the playoffs but probably not.

The Habs are in the worst situation of any of the Canadian teams
Their forward group average age is 26.3 with ONE player, Paul Byron (31) over 30.

Their defense average age is 27.3 with TWO players, Weber (35) and Petry (32), over 30.

Goaltending is a different story, Price (33) and Allen (30), but hardly a concern. Actually, the strength on their team.

Despite some debatable contracts Beregevin has signed this off-season the Habs are not an old team.