Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #2481
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The scoring issues stemmed from a lack of offense on the top line. The only way to address that now is via a trade. But it also bears pointing out that the Flames were the #3-scoring team in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
The top line used one type of zone entry: Johnny entering and then the button hook. Predictable and easy to defend because Gaudreau stops moving. Perhaps they need to work on alternatives, such as Lindholm bringing the puck in and passing to Johnny on the fly.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #2482
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I was being optimistic for sure, but I do think they potentially can slot in well to the top 6 in a year or 2

Just nice to see the Flames drafting in the 1st round consistently!
Think it’s going to be longer than a year or 2 for those guys to be regular top 6 players. Considering they were drafted late 1st round, if they both ended up being everyday 2nd line players I would be quite happy. It’s one of the reasons I wanted flames to take a run at Hall . I don’t see any bonafude first line players in our system . Of course there is a chance one of those or another player becomes that , but as of now don’t see it.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #2483
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Bad contract or not, he was a beast in the playoffs and helped his team to the finals.

There is a different between great with a high cap hit and simply having a high cap hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did we watch the same playoffs? Benn was a drifter for all but 3 or 4 games in the entire playoffs...are you sure you are not thinking of Pavelski?
Old 10-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #2484
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Absolutely agree. I don’t have the kind of free time but maybe for a keyboard warrior who enjoys I would love to see a team list of what could have been drafting, and what was after trades. What if we hadn’t given up the first plus for hamonic? What if Edmonton had kept all of thier draft picks where would they be. Again I don’t have the time but to me this would really lay out the question with facts. For me firsts above 20 should pretty much be verboten for trades.
Edmonton's problem has never been a shortage of draft picks. Their's is a cautionary tale about how badly things can go even with huge amounts of valuable draft capital.

It's because Edmonton is no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 10-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #2485
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The top line used one type of zone entry: Johnny entering and then the button hook. Predictable and easy to defend because Gaudreau stops moving. Perhaps they need to work on alternatives, such as Lindholm bringing the puck in and passing to Johnny on the fly.
I have been saying for a very long time that Monahan needs to carry the puck more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #2486
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have been saying for a very long time that Monahan needs to carry the puck more.

He has some sort of mental block. He carries the puck well/ above average when away from Johnny but as soon as they're on the ice together he loses all ability to carry the puck and is only willing to pass to johnny almost immediately upon receiving the puck, shoot, or retrieve puck in corner to make a pass.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #2487
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Think it’s going to be longer than a year or 2 for those guys to be regular top 6 players. Considering they were drafted late 1st round, if they both ended up being everyday 2nd line players I would be quite happy. It’s one of the reasons I wanted flames to take a run at Hall . I don’t see any bonafude first line players in our system . Of course there is a chance one of those or another player becomes that , but as of now don’t see it.
Thats a fair and reasonable take I wanted Hall as well, maybe next offseason he will sign. Gotta think that Covid will be less of an issue and teams will have more flexibility for trades/spending then.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #2488
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I don’t disagree with you about needing another top 6 guy but the flames actually do have 3 young guys who could breakout in Dube, Mangiapane and Bennett. Dube and Mangiapane showed very good progression could jump to 60 point production, Flames could be fine. Both also played well in the playoffs too.
Sorry meant 50 points not 60.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #2489
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Vegas has a $7M backup goalie
St. Louis has Steen making $5.75M
Philly has JVR at $7M
The Islanders cap friendly page is full of questionable contracts.

We can’t start nit picking here but outside of Lucic what horrible contracts do the Flames have?
It's less about having a giant killer contract and maybe just not enough overall value.

Lucic, the Stone and Brouwer buyouts are bad. Rittich and Ryan are somewhat overpaid now for where they slot in. A guy like Tanev seemingly got an extra year and an extra $1 million over what he is worth in this market. Will Hanifin, Andersson and Tanev each be able to play up to their contracts next year? Hanifin and Rasmus seem like good deals but those contracts factored in continued improvement. Will Mangiapane continue to provide good value or is he going to get paid?

Flames cap situation is OK but the reliance on veteran UFA's over the years almost guarantees you will consistently have some cap problems. Especially if you need to pay more to get them to Calgary compared to other organizations.

Like every other team, Flames need enough guys to outperform their contracts to be a contender. If enough players are at or above market value, that gets harder.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #2490
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I’m not enamoured with that list either, but when we’re talking about replacing them with scrubs like Rinaldo, Gawdin, and Buddy Robinson (who?), and expecting a college kid who’s never even set foot on NHL ice before to suddenly become a regular out of nowhere, it becomes a bit worrying.

Still lots of time to fill out the depth spots, but trades will have to be made to create the cap space. And that doesn’t even address the fact that the rest of the forward core hasn’t been touched. I hope Treliving has more up his sleeve than this.
Scrub Rinaldo scored 2 fewer points than Jankowski. In almost 30 fewer games. He's a fast skater, and he's aggressive. That's a much better 4th/energy line skillset than Jankowski IMO. Robinson is similar except he's huge.

The guy they're arguably going to miss most wasn't on your list - Reider, who I thought blossomed in the POs.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #2491
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What makes Markstrom a big draw? I didn’t watch any canucks games Last year really but he had basically the same stats as Koskinen and slightly worse that Talbot last year (GAA and sv%)?
Everyone who is familiar with Markstrom, Koskinen, and Talbot needs to read Weitz's post because this is what results when you rely on stats, without watching a player.

Anyone who has watched these 3 goalies (i.e. pretty much every Flame and Oiler fan, other than Weitz) knows that one of these 3 things is not like the others.

Weitz, I am not hacking on you here, I am just making a point to everyone about trying to draw conclusions on players, based on stats.

Markstrom was 4th in Vezina voting last year and has been Vancouver's MVP each of their last 2 seasons, literally carrying a crappy team on his back into the playoffs and into the second round. He is a top 10 goalie in the league for sure, and many think a top 5.

Koskinen and Talbot are serviceable, bottom half of the pack, goalies. 1Bs at best, but preferably backups.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #2492
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Everyone who is familiar with Markstrom, Koskinen, and Talbot needs to read Weitz's post because this is what results when you rely on stats, without watching a player.

Anyone who has watched these 3 goalies (i.e. pretty much every Flame and Oiler fan, other than Weitz) knows that one of these 3 things is not like the others.

Weitz, I am not hacking on you here, I am just making a point to everyone about trying to draw conclusions on players, based on stats.

Markstrom was 4th in Vezina voting last year and has been Vancouver's MVP each of their last 2 seasons, literally carrying a crappy team on his back into the playoffs and into the second round. He is a top 10 goalie in the league for sure, and many think a top 5.

Koskinen and Talbot are serviceable, bottom half of the pack, goalies. 1Bs at best, but preferably backups.
Which is why I was asking. I literally didn't watch a single Vancouver game last year so have nothing else to go on. And it wasn't just a why do flames fans think that about Markstrom, it seems everyone was but the stats were only ok so I was curious. I can't specifically remember the canucks oilers games and if I watched them so I really had nothing to go off of.

Likley works out to be a great signing for the flames. Don't think you even need to worry about the last couple years if you get 4 great ones.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #2493
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Hope the holiday doesn't mean less signings happen today. I'm desperate for more news to talk about
BT doesn't work on stats

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #2494
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Rick Dhaliwal @DhaliwalSports
Hearing contract talks between the Habs and Brendan Gallagher have stalled and now broken off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #2495
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get it done Brad...

Tkachuk - Bennett - Gallagher ......
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #2496
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

One Gallagher please.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #2497
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I hate the idea of losing Hanifin, but Gallagher meets more than a few needs.

Does Hanifin meet any in Montreal?

Otherwise does Calgary consider moving him for picks to free up the salary and work out another hockey trade with Montreal?

Would be interesting
Old 10-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #2498
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Which is why I was asking. I literally didn't watch a single Vancouver game last year so have nothing else to go on. And it wasn't just a why do flames fans think that about Markstrom, it seems everyone was but the stats were only ok so I was curious. I can't specifically remember the canucks oilers games and if I watched them so I really had nothing to go off of.

Likley works out to be a great signing for the flames. Don't think you even need to worry about the last couple years if you get 4 great ones.
Again, wasn't hacking on you.

Yeah, his stats aren't as stellar as his performance, but that is because Vancouver has been a rebuilding team. They would have been bottom feeders for the last 2 years if Markstrom hadn't been one of the best goalies in the league.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #2499
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hearing contract talks between the Habs and Brendan Gallagher have stalled and now broken off.
This looks like a natural fit. Deal around Noah Hanifin for Brendan Gallagher. Their LHD depth still doesn’t have anyone to play on the top pair.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #2500
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
After the contract they dished out to Anderson, I can see Gallagher wanting to have a good payday too.

Any rumours on what the ask is?
Closed Thread