Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #81
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's absolutely mind boggling why anyone cares who other people cheer for. Or why.
Getting butt hurt about people that do care is fine though?

we all care about something or what's the point, why would we even be on here...I'm sure you care about irrational things all the time

thats sports
Old 10-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #82
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I find it hard to believe anyone really cares that much for a team that you have never been through tough times with...seems more like a look at me thing

I laugh at people at the dome dressed head to toe in gear from a team that didn't exist a couple years back
They have to start somewhere though right?? Did the Flames fans looks silly decked out in Flames gear in the Coral? It’s annoying the Knights are so good so early on but I can’t hate or be mad at the city or fans, good for them.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #83
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Getting butt hurt about people that do care is fine though?

we all care about something or what's the point, why would we even be on here...I'm sure you care about irrational things all the time

thats sports
Not sure how you think I'm butthurt simply by making an observation.

However, based on your reaction to it, there might be someone butthurt here.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #84
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
They have to start somewhere though right?? Did the Flames fans looks silly decked out in Flames gear in the Coral? It’s annoying the Knights are so good so early on but I can’t hate or be mad at the city or fans, good for them.
I have already said the city is fine, people that actually live there and go to games are fans

People from Red Deer that supposedly live and die with them...those guys are a joke
Old 10-12-2020, 06:56 PM   #85
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have already said the city is fine, people that actually live there and go to games are fans

People from Red Deer that supposedly live and die with them...those guys are a joke
Ahhh I get it. Kinda hard to argue that, I remember seeing a chick who looked hammered after the knights scored against us at home freaking out and it was hard to believe the fandom.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #86
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
It's absolutely mind boggling why anyone cares who other people cheer for. Or why.

As I've stated, Flames fandom is built on schadenfreude. Vegas just doesn't have enough bad stuff yet so it angers some.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #87
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think signing Pietrangelo and then trading Schmidt right after was a lateral move.

Should have attached a sweetener to Patches or Fleury instead. Schmidt/Theodore/Pietrangelo would have been a good top 3.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #88
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't get what capfriendly is saying... they are allowed to be over by 10%, and they have not exceeded that at this point
I was a little confused by this too, so I checked to see what the CBA says for offseason cap compliance (Article 50.5 for anyone who cares).

During the offseason (from July 1 to the end of training camp in normal seasons), a team's cap payroll is calculated a little differently than it is during the season. This makes sense because there is no active roster during the offseason.

During the offseason, a team's cap payroll includes:
  • All buyouts, retained salaries, and bonus carryover amounts. These amounts can't be reduced or buried in any way.

• All one-way contracts for the upcoming season. Even if a player spent the majority of the previous season in the minors, his full one-way contract cap hit counts during the offseason.

• All two-way contracts for the upcoming season prorated based on the percentage of the previous season the player spent in the NHL. This is calculated as a percentage of days, not games. For example, if a player has a two-way contract with a $750,000 NHL cap hit and he spent 1/3 of the previous season in the NHL, his contract will count against the team's cap for $250,000 during the offseason.

• Any outstanding, unsigned qualifying offers the team has provided to its RFAs, as well as any outstanding offer sheets the team has signed with another team's RFAs. If these are one-way offers, the full amount counts against the team's cap. If these are two-way offers, they count against the team's cap as a percentage of the time the player spent in the NHL the previous season.

Looking at Vegas on Cap Friendly, they have 4 forwards listed as non-roster who are on one-way contracts for a total of $2.85 million. During the offseason, the full amounts of those contracts count against their cap. Plus, they have some players on two-way contracts (like Dansk and Bischoff) who spent some time in the NHL last season, so part of their contracts will count against Vegas' cap during the offseason.

That is why they appeared to be within the 10% cushion, but were slightly over prior to the Schmidt trade.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #89
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
As I've stated, Flames fandom is built on schadenfreude. Vegas just doesn't have enough bad stuff yet so it angers some.
oh god, there are comments like that about Vegas on every single hockey message board...including your beloved Canucks

Best thing about Vegas is they will win a cup before Vancouver
Old 10-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #90
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think signing Pietrangelo and then trading Schmidt right after was a lateral move.

Should have attached a sweetener to Patches or Fleury instead. Schmidt/Theodore/Pietrangelo would have been a good top 3.

It's... yeah.

Their issue at the end of last season was that they could not score. This doesn't move the needle much on that.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #91
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They improved on D but that is a lot of years/money

plus they lose their 2nd line center...maybe more
Old 10-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #92
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I've never been so offended by something I agree 100% with.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #93
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gonna go out and drive around aimlessly for a while. Less than three months to ramp up Globakl warming so much that Vegas becomes completely uninhabitable!
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThisIsAnOutrage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #94
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This reminds me of the Tavares to Toronto signing. Leafs lost a bunch of depth since that signing but most people wrote it off as who cares the leafs got Tavares. Vegas is going to be tough but they might not be as good as most think
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #95
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

7x8.8M to a 31 year old might not be the biggest win

That is a lot of money
Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #96
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Ahhh I get it. Kinda hard to argue that, I remember seeing a chick who looked hammered after the knights scored against us at home freaking out and it was hard to believe the fandom.
These are the kinda people I am talking about for sure
Old 10-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #97
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The reasons why each of us cheer for any team are totally arbitrary.
Who cares
For me it's always been about location. First Calgary, then Florida.

I never took to San Jose because they were already good, had a huge fan base, and were competition for Calgary. If I stayed there long enough, I may have become a casual fan.

This isn't a gang membership. You can join and leave as you see fit.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #98
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find it hard to believe anyone really cares that much for a team that you have never been through tough times with...seems more like a look at me thing

I laugh at people at the dome dressed head to toe in gear from a team that didn't exist a couple years back
This is literally the only reason I'm still a Panthers fan. I want to be there when they turn the corner.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #99
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
This is literally the only reason I'm still a Panthers fan. I want to be there when they turn the corner.
How many years do you have left? Probably won’t be enough.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #100
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the Golden Knights. I'm a Flames fan first and foremost but after not having one for many years, I now have a 2nd favorite team - VGK. Hate on me all you want, but I like VGK because I love Las Vegas. I go to Vegas yearly (well, before Covid, I did). Many people do but I would go 3 or 4 times per year if time and money would allow it. Vegas being my favorite place to visit draws to me also like the hockey team there. Flames #1 but Vegas #2. If that makes me a fake fan, then I guess I'm a fake fan.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: