Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #161
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Watched the 1st episode didn't get that vibe at all thought it was great picked up right where they left off. The aerial views are once again thrilling they really make you feel you're visiting another world.

Really? One thing I felt in particular was how it didn't feel like an alien world at all. Its was just some rock quarry somewhere in Canada.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #162
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Really? One thing I felt in particular was how it didn't feel like an alien world at all. Its was just some rock quarry somewhere in Canada.
Have to suspend disbelief a little bit, sure if you think about it that's some location on Earth in this case a quarry near Toronto. But going by the shots captured when that craft landed on an asteroid things don't look radically different than Earth.

I'd be curious to know what shows you think get other world locations right.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #163
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
No spoilers, but, it really sucks. It really, really sucks. Its one giant plot-hole made up of loads of smaller plot holes (bad, lazy writing) with lackluster acting, crappy sets, and is all around just a mess. And I LOVED the first three seasons.
Have you read the books? Book 4 was not that great so not surprising that Season 4 isn't either. There are some dumb decisions/plot holes in book 4 too.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #164
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Although not quite as great as the first 3 seasons, season 4 is very good and the Expanse still remains the best sci-fi show on tv.
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #165
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I binged season 4 on the weekend and thought it was great. Obviously some rushed parts you'd wish were more fleshed out, but that's TV.

Overall not as good as season 3 which I thought was amazing, but still scratched the itch, and I wish season 5 was out now.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #166
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought season 4 was great. There were quite a few issues and it was definitely a huge break from the setting, theme or pacing of the last 3 seasons, but they really needed to set up some of the drama for the next two seasons with this one.

Lots of people who had issues with being stuck on planet will enjoy the next two seasons in space with the coming disaster that is Marco Inaros... who I might add, was exactly how I pictured him to be.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #167
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sort of felt like they stretched out what should have been a 2-3 episode arc into a full season. We went from species-altering events to just sort of "hey, what's going on on this random planet here", which seemed to lower the stakes. The conflict of "belters hate inners automatically, and inners think belters are just a bunch of dumb savages" is getting a bit stale, and frankly it doesn't help that the belters often do come off as dumb savages. Murtry (?) is a fairly lame cartoonish villain played by the actor who regularly plays cartoonish villains, and none of the new characters have any real depth to them. Bobby's entire season arc was uninteresting and "who even gives a #### about any of this" right up until they made it important at the end as a sort of lead-in to next season; I guess it could have been interesting if this was a show that had 20-episode seasons but they didn't have enough screen time to make me care about the cynical-cop-turned-gangster whose name I've already forgotten and his motivations. As for the Drummer plot line with Marko, again it felt like an episode of content, maybe... it wasn't bad or anything, it just felt like a setup for next season with no real payoff. Which, given the ending to ep 10, it clearly was. If that giant asteroid is going to hit Earth they should have done it this season and had that be the cliffhanger rather than waiting for s5e1.

So those are my criticisms. Everything involving Chrisjen is great, because that actress is great. Holden didn't annoy me even once this year, nor did Miller, in fact the whole "Miller in Holden's head" aspect was pretty well done I thought. Actually, all of the main characters seemed to be better acted this season, especially Alex. Overall, if it was worse than the previous seasons, I didn't think it was a major gap or anything. I think the problem people may be having is that this season is more about the main characters than it is about galactic events, and this show has never been particularly character-driven. The world-building, the way the galactic machine operates politically, is what's most interesting and there was somewhat less of that. So if you were waiting all year for these ten episodes to give you more of than I'm not really surprised about the disappointment.

I would like to hear about all these plot holes people are complaining about because I thought it hung together okay, at least grading on the curve of science fiction tv shows, which is an admittedly low bar.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 01-02-2020 at 08:36 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #168
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

About halfway through I'm enjoying it. Not as much as the earlier seasons, but it is also based on my least favourite book in the series. I think Season 4/Book 4 serves a purpose in the larger story but somehow feels tonally different than the rest and maybe didn't need a full season to cover.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #169
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got Prime and watched season 4 after completing my seasons 1-3 re-watch. It was good, like so many have said this is one of the weakest books in the series so not a lot to work with, and a much smaller scale of things happening. Definitely a lot more CGI beauty shots with that sweet Amazon money.

Too bad they didn't do more with the in-orbit drama that was in the books, and I was hoping they were going to bring back Havelock as a nice touchstone from season 1.

Overall an enjoyable watch, but really just setting up a lot for season 5 which should be pretty awesome I'm hoping.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #170
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

‘The Expanse’ Star Cas Anvar Under Investigation Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations

https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-exp...ns-1202971689/
Old 10-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #171
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 5 trailer just dropped. Release date Dec 16th
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #172
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I believe they are also moving towards the weekly episode drop?

Haven't been a big fan of that in the past, but if we want shows to stay around I think that is the proper way to build interest.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #173
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I believe they are also moving towards the weekly episode drop?

Haven't been a big fan of that in the past, but if we want shows to stay around I think that is the proper way to build interest.

Yeah it will be the same as they did with The Boys this season. 3 episodes at first then weekly after that.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #174
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schedule released
https://twitter.com/user/status/1316393333170737152
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #175
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon has renewed The Expanse for a sixth and final season.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...enewed_Expanse

Suuuper interesting, wonder how they will decide to wrap things up with one more season versus the book series?
Old 11-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #176
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Just about done season 2. That Amos is quite the character!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #177
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
What this means is I'll start watching it in late January. That way I don't have to wait for the next episode. I did that with The Boys and I haven't started watching the Mandolorian yet so when I watch it, I can watch it all on my terms.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #178
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the weekly break. Gives more of a chance to discuss it. Looking forward to this one!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #179
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Amazon has renewed The Expanse for a sixth and final season.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...enewed_Expanse

Suuuper interesting, wonder how they will decide to wrap things up with one more season versus the book series?

Cas Anvar also won't be back for season 6 as well which will be interesting.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #180
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
Cas Anvar also won't be back for season 6 as well which will be interesting.
Ah yes, I assumed as much. I guess you just have to recast the character and go with it.

Tags
noir , pew pew pew , sci fi , space opera , the expanse