Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #3921
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
So are both roundabouts on either side of glenmore trail open?
Yes. All 4 ramps of the interchange and both roundabouts are open, you just can't go south of there onto "Tsuut'ina Parkway" yet.

Spoiler!
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #3922
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's gotten way busier, but faster for us...does that make sense? We come in from Hwy8, and it's quick to Glenmore now. Crowchild slows us down quite a bit. Last year in the winter, it was faster for us to take Richmond Rd into Altadore instead of Crowchild.

On Sunday, hwy 8 East was backed up from Elbow Valley out to River Spirit from all of the people now coming in that way to use the ring road.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #3923
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
It's gotten way busier, but faster for us...does that make sense? We come in from Hwy8, and it's quick to Glenmore now. Crowchild slows us down quite a bit. Last year in the winter, it was faster for us to take Richmond Rd into Altadore instead of Crowchild.
The bridge being three lanes instead of narrowing to two should alleviate some of that friction during rush hour. The main issue was people merging from the 17 Ave EB exit to Crowchild NB, and then people failing to understand how to properly use the merge lane. Now that the third lane continues onto the bridge, hopefully that'll stop people mindlessly stopping in the middle of the third lane with their blinker on.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #3924
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The bridge being three lanes instead of narrowing to two should alleviate some of that friction during rush hour. The main issue was people merging from the 17 Ave EB exit to Crowchild NB, and then people failing to understand how to properly use the merge lane. Now that the third lane continues onto the bridge, hopefully that'll stop people mindlessly stopping in the middle of the third lane with their blinker on.

I imagine it will be faster for me. I can't really complain. No lights at 69th, and then with all of the construction being mostly complete, I'm saving almost 10 minutes just to get to Crowchild.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:55 PM   #3925
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Hopefully they get that intersection working soon
Once the traffic lights and both lanes are open it will be much better. The backups would be cut in half with both lanes open, and then further cut once the lights are up and traffic isn't stopping. Dual left onto eastbound Stoney as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I still think there is plenty of room for them to have had an offramp directly off westbound Stoney to northbound 69th which would have eliminated a lot of the problems.
There isn't. Make the speed limit 80 through there and something could have worked, but then there's an uproar that the speed limit on a section of a massive freeway is 80. Can't have it both ways.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #3926
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Once the traffic lights and both lanes are open it will be much better. The backups would be cut in half with both lanes open, and then further cut once the lights are up and traffic isn't stopping. Dual left onto eastbound Stoney as well.
Don't disagree, but what a terrible design for that whole section, as well as the inclusion of new lights @ Springbank Blvd less than half a block from the North. I know there are constraints in the location, but seems like they mailed it in with this one. For SB 69th to EB Hwy 8 commuters, they've gone from 1 light to 3. No way that speeds anything up and will simply add congestion.

Last edited by Ducay; 10-08-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #3927
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Once the traffic lights and both lanes are open it will be much better. The backups would be cut in half with both lanes open, and then further cut once the lights are up and traffic isn't stopping. Dual left onto eastbound Stoney as well...
Any idea when this will be?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #3928
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took it last night on the way back from COP

Just need the last little connection to 22X and it will be beauty, I actually want to drive it in the light so I can get an idea of where the heck it goes.

Does anyone have a map/overview of this new open portion?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #3929
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Just need the last little connection to 22X and it will be beauty, I actually want to drive it in the light so I can get an idea of where the heck it goes.

There was a thread on here somewhere with a bunch of information, including maps... Let me see if I can dig up a link.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #3930
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
There was a thread on here somewhere with a bunch of information, including maps... Let me see if I can dig up a link.
are you referring to this near 4000 post, near 200 page mega thread?

Cuz I searched and didn't find it. Perhaps it is user error on my part.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #3931
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just look at Google Maps if you're looking for an in depth map, its all been updated.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #3932
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Just look at Google Maps if you're looking for an in depth map, its all been updated.
Thank you, it wasn't showing up on my mobile app.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #3933
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There isn't. Make the speed limit 80 through there and something could have worked, but then there's an uproar that the speed limit on a section of a massive freeway is 80. Can't have it both ways.
Still seems like it should have been possible to do something similar to the Deerfoot SB exit to Southland (and also Ikea, etc) - divided barrier that doesn't join rejoin NWB 201 until after 69 st.

NB 201W to NB 69 St seems like the limiting factor, but it could be accomplished via TT Parkway (once completed). Or by doubling back via 37 st interchange, but obviously that's especially inelegant from a signage standpoint.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #3934
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah braided ramp it's called, I discussed it for this location a few pages back. Could have been done at the absolute destruction of quality of life for people on Sierra Nevada Way and Sierra Nevada Green, and relocation of a power line. This combined with the fact that (regrettably) the primary purpose of the ring road is not to improve access to 69 St, makes it an easy decision from a cost-benefit standpoint.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #3935
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

It will be even better once the west portion is finished. That will be the icing on the cake for me.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #3936
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Coming in on Hwy 8 heading East on Glenmore the speed limits went from 80 to 60 to 50 to 80 to 60 to 80 (then the fun of the Crowchild-Causeway-14th merging dance).

Hopefully that gets tidied up sooner than later. But is it seriously going to be 80 from 69th in? Or is that (hopefully) just until the work gets finished in the 60 zones?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #3937
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Coming in on Hwy 8 heading East on Glenmore the speed limits went from 80 to 60 to 50 to 80 to 60 to 80 (then the fun of the Crowchild-Causeway-14th merging dance).
It's a mess and honestly the 60 KM/H drop at the Glenmore/Sarcee section is completely unnecessary having driven it a few times now, and that's including the 37th Street exit considerations. I think CPS will use it for a little extra revenue.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #3938
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Hopefully that gets tidied up sooner than later. But is it seriously going to be 80 from 69th in?
No.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #3939
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It's a mess and honestly the 60 KM/H drop at the Glenmore/Sarcee section is completely unnecessary having driven it a few times now, and that's including the 37th Street exit considerations. I think CPS will use it for a little extra revenue.
As much of a cluster#### as it is over at the Sarcee to 37th section of EB Glenmore, where can the cops hide? The only way is to park their SUV in that painted no-go area in the middle of that 5-lane merge, and it will be a multi-car collision disaster waiting to happen...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #3940
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
As much of a cluster#### as it is over at the Sarcee to 37th section of EB Glenmore, where can the cops hide? The only way is to park their SUV in that painted no-go area in the middle of that 5-lane merge, and it will be a multi-car collision disaster waiting to happen...
Don't challenge them.

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote