Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #8081
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The problem with trading Noah Hanifin is that the Flames would immediately be looking for a guy like Noah Hanifin.
That depends on how good Valimaki and Mackey are and/or will be. It's hard as a fan to put any faith in a young kid who hasn't played in over a year and a young rookie who has never played in the NHL, but I imagine the Flames have a pretty good read of the situation.

There will also be a crap load of cheap veteran ufa dmen available this off season that will be begging for contracts. Guys that can help shoulder some minutes while the younger guys find their groove.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #8082
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The problem with trading Noah Hanifin is that the Flames would immediately be looking for a guy like Noah Hanifin.
But the draft pick they get for Hanifin could be... a Hanifin!!! Don’t question the logic. Just go with it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #8083
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
A big deal with Philly around Gaudreau + Hanifin would be super intriguing. Philly needs a backup for Hart too so maybe something like

To Philadelphia
27YO Gaudreau / 2 x 6.75
23YO Hanifin / 4 x 4.95
28YO Rittich / 1 x 2.75
24YO Mangiapane / RFA

14.4 Mill out

To Flames
23YO Konecny / 5 x 5.5
27YO Gostisbehere / 3 x 4.5
22YO Patrick / RFA 2 x 2 bridge deal/show me contract
Philly 1st 25th overall

12 Mill in

Try to deal Ryan for a pick to get the free space to around 20 mill and then try and lock up the 3 big fish.

Hall - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Patrick - Konecny
Bennett - Backlund - Dube
Lucic - Gawdin - Phillips
Reider

Giordano - Andersson
Gostisbehere - Pietrangelo
Valimaki - Mackey
Kylington

Markstrom
Zagidulin
Extremely ugly deal for flames. Give up the best player. A top young D. Ghost is 1 dimensional and hasbt been offensive for a bit. Patrick may never play again. The 1st will be on the low end of the round. Huge pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #8084
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it hard to believe that people can be this dense, but I probably shouldn't.

This isn't trade Hanifin for futures and that's that.

It's trade Hanifin for futures if you've already ####ing replaced him with a better godamn defensman via free agency.

It's not rocket science.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #8085
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see BT making any trades this offseason, I think he feels the group is fairly close. I can see him add a goalie and D man via free agency and call it an offseason. I can see Markstrom and Vatanen.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #8086
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That depends on how good Valimaki and Mackey are and/or will be.
That's kinda the point, isn't it? We don't know, so why make moves that leave you screwed if they end up not being what we hope? Valimaki has huge potential, but has 18+ months off affective his development? Mackey is a very good prospect and looked good in summer camp, but how many guys have we seen look good in camp then go on to have underwhelming careers? We aren't in a position where we have to move someone to make room for them, so why move our best LD under the age of 35 just in case someone else might be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #8087
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that people can be this dense, but I probably shouldn't.

This isn't trade Hanifin for futures and that's that.

It's trade Hanifin for futures if you've already ####ing replaced him with a better godamn defensman via free agency.

It's not rocket science.
Pietrangelo would not be replacing Hanifin. Petro would fill the vacant hole by replacing Brodie.

It's not rocket science.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #8088
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I just don't see BT making any trades this offseason, I think he feels the group is fairly close. I can see him add a goalie and D man via free agency and call it an offseason. I can see Markstrom and Vatanen.
Trades will be made, but I think it is unlikely we trade a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman
Old 09-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #8089
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just want to see them put strong bids in for Markstrom and Hall (and sure, put your name in the hat for Pietrangelo).

See who you end up with if you do, and then shuffle the rest of the chairs/cap around accordingly.

Funny thing is I think there's a chance they could even land both. But would have to move some dollars (maybe Ryan) and see losses on the back end, which means giving shots to the youngsters to round out the bottom pairing.

Not usually a fan of all-in moves and signings and I still think you want to move Gaudreau for futures within the next year, but picking up those two would give them a legitimate chance at taking another step.

Maybe Markstrom "Kippers" them there, by bailing out some iffy defense while the kids develop into their roles, but so be it.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-26-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #8090
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Pietrangelo would not be replacing Hanifin. Petro would fill the vacant hole by replacing Brodie.

It's not rocket science.
We don't have Brodie to replace anymore.

Left shot D

Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Mackey

Right shot D

Andersson

that's the depth chart Tre has to work with and Brodie ain't on it anymore.

You're taking from a strength and adding to a weakness if you sign Pietro and trade Hanifin.

In that scenario it's Pietro in, Hanifin out plus whatever you are adding when you trade Hanifin.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #8091
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We don't have Brodie to replace anymore.

Left shot D

Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Mackey

Right shot D

Andersson

that's the depth chart Tre has to work with and Brodie ain't on it anymore.

You're taking from a strength and adding to a weakness if you sign Pietro and trade Hanifin.

In that scenario it's Pietro in, Hanifin out plus whatever you are adding when you trade Hanifin.
Brodie not being on the depth chart is exactly why he needs to be replaced, because no one has been added to replace him. Seriously dude, this is just getting embarrassing.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #8092
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Adding Markstrom would be pretty massive but he is trying to do much more than just in goal. Brad has been trying to add a top six forward for over a year.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #8093
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I just want to see them put strong bids in for Markstrom and Hall (and sure, put your name in the hat for Pietrangelo).

See who you end up with if you do, and then shuffle the rest of the chairs/cap around accordingly.

Funny thing is I think there's a chance they could even land both. But would have to move some dollars (maybe Ryan) and see losses on the back end, which means giving shots to the youngsters to round out the bottom pairing.

Not usually a fan of all-in moves and signings and I still think you want to move Gaudreau for futures within the next year, but picking up those two would give them a legitimate chance at taking another step.

Maybe Markstrom "Kippers" them there, by bailing out some iffy defense while the kids develop into their roles, but so be it.

Hard pass on Hall. With two scoring wingers, at what I presume will be a lot less then a Hall contract, this does not address an active mediate need. I know Gaudreau could be tears but his production on his contract is quite good imo. I’d be impressed with a Barzal or Dubois offer sheet.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #8094
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Brodie not being on the depth chart is exactly why he needs to be replaced, because no one has been added to replace him. Seriously dude, this is just getting embarrassing.
OK fair enough, in a scenario where you're lucky enough to land AP then call him Broidie's replacement, now you have to clear cap because AP will be making what Hanifin and Brodie combined to make last season and the cap isn't going up anymore.

So you trade Hanifin and bring in Valimaki.

In -> Pietrangelo, Valimaki
Out -> Brodie, Hanifin

Plus the return for Hanifin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #8095
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Hard pass on Hall. With two scoring wingers, at what I presume will be a lot less then a Hall contract, this does not address an active mediate need. I know Gaudreau could be tears but his production on his contract is quite good imo. I’d be impressed with a Barzal or Dubois offer sheet.
Either way Gaudreau's contract is either going up a lot or he is being traded within a couple years. Why pass on a high end player that costs zero assets, it makes no sense. If he is "overpaid" by a million or two who cares...less money to waste on 5M 3rd liners
Old 09-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #8096
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Either way Gaudreau's contract is either going up a lot or he is being traded within a couple years. Why pass on a high end player that costs zero assets, it makes no sense. If he is "overpaid" by a million or two who cares...less money to waste on 5M 3rd liners
I care when after signing Hall there is no money to address the actual weakness of this team which is RD and goaltending. Our scoring depth is fine imo and we certainly don't need another LW LS forward.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #8097
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
OK fair enough, in a scenario where you're lucky enough to land AP then call him Broidie's replacement, now you have to clear cap because AP will be making what Hanifin and Brodie combined to make last season and the cap isn't going up anymore.

So you trade Hanifin and bring in Valimaki.

In -> Pietrangelo, Valimaki
Out -> Brodie, Hanifin

Plus the return for Hanifin.
You forgot Hamonic and Stone in the outbox there homie.

Before the deadline, we had:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Andersson
Stone

now we have

Giordano - _______
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Mackey(?)
Kylington

Valimaki is probably replacing Hamonic on the roster. Mackey potentially replacing Stone. That still leaves the massive hole Brodie is leaving, which is where Pietrangelo would fit.

And you are right, the cap it staying flat for 2-3 yuears, which compounds how monumentally bad the idea is to move a cost controlled 23 year old top 4 defenseman.

If Valimaki, Kylington or Mackey prove they are top 4 capable, then you look at moving Hanifin as you would be dealing from a position of strength. You are suggesting we fill one hole and then open up another.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 09-26-2020 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #8098
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't see how trading Hanifin works well for us.
The return likely wouldn't be enough and his potential is still very high.

Just a risky trade to win unless someone is willing to give much more than I'm guessing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #8099
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
On that same note, why pay 7m+ on Hall, when we could probably sign Hoffman for less? Over the past 2 seasons Hoffman has outproduced Hall, even if you pro-rate Halls stats. Hoffman is also more of a goal scorer than Hall, and has spent a great deal of time at RW.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #8100
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Don't see how trading Hanifin works well for us.
The return likely wouldn't be enough and his potential is still very high.

Just a risky trade to win unless someone is willing to give much more than I'm guessing.
The only way it makes any sense to move Hanifin IMO is for a similarly aged cost controlled center. Or, if we signed 2 top 4 defensemen, which seems extremely unlikely.
Closed Thread