Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #121
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is it all on Manfred? The players resisted a bubble from what I hear and he’s not making the players head out to bars etc.

Tony Clark not exactly showing leadership either IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #122
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
i don’t know, it’s odd that there have not been more positives in the NBA and NHL, the NHL said that they were not gong to report positive tests. That’s ripe for a cover up.

You can pretty accurately and easily deduce who has it and doesn't based on the lineup. Plus it's a privacy reason that they can't announced who has it. No biggie in my mind.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #123
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Why is it all on Manfred? The players resisted a bubble from what I hear and he’s not making the players head out to bars etc.

It's not all on Manfred. It's on both. Being the commish though, I'd say it's a bit more weighted on his end as he gives the ultimate go for the league start. But that's splitting hairs.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #124
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

If the players resisted a bubble, he should have cancelled the season. Although he does work for the owners so maybe the owners wanted this.

For the NHL, Bettman canceled the rest of the regular season. Then announced the bubble with a list of possible locations. It probably would have been played in the US (Vegas) until their cases went through the roof. So Edmonton and Toronto was decided.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #125
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
If the players resisted a bubble, he should have cancelled the season. Although he does work for the owners so maybe the owners wanted this.

For the NHL, Bettman canceled the rest of the regular season. Then announced the bubble with a list of possible locations. It probably would have been played in the US (Vegas) until their cases went through the roof. So Edmonton and Toronto was decided.
Well the players apparently really wanted to play. Remember “tell us when and where”.

I just don’t see one side being able to unilaterally impose their will. Agree with Fleury above that it’s a shared responsibility and when it comes to individual behavior, that is on the person and no one else.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #126
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Well, since all of the outbreaks are NL teams let’s just cancel the NL season and the AL can play it out.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #127
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s still very early, and in a season that will likely be cancelled soon, but it really pleases me that Springer, Altuve, and Bregman are all hitting well below .200. Maybe Hershiser was right. Guessing is harder than knowing.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #128
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

I agree that the Players have been completely foolish in all this. But as a commish, Manfreds track record has been less than stellar.

I feel this situation has proven how many cracks there are in the current CBA and relationship between MLB and it’s PA. Manfred seems less than stellar to steer the ship going forward from the MLB’s standpoint.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:05 AM   #129
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
It’s still very early, and in a season that will likely be cancelled soon, but it really pleases me that Springer, Altuve, and Bregman are all hitting well below .200. Maybe Hershiser was right. Guessing is harder than knowing.
Fastball, curveball, or beanball? Those cheaters deserve it.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #130
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1289975903502491648

Old 08-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #131
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird, he just walked away and informed the team through his agent that he's opting out of the rest of the season.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290022370984378368
Old 08-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #132
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha. Wonder if he's done with baseball? Missed pretty much the last 3 seasons with injuries and his stats have been on a steady decline. The Mets will have paid him 100million over the last 5 years for pretty much a season and a half of replacement level ball. Another stellar contract in a long line of failures for them.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #133
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the Mets GM a recently former agent (and a controversial one at that)? If so, I dunno if this would help or hurt his cause, but it's certainly an unprofessional way of taking care of business on Cespedes' part. I guess that's what an agent is for but there's certainly a limitation with handling your own business. I wonder what Stroman would have to say about this situation.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #134
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man it looks like Soroka might be out for a while.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #135
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290438676346998784

Brutal
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #136
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Just feel horrible for the young man. That's a year of surgery and rehab as its his push off leg.

Terrible.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #137
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Baseball is so ****ed up that way. Hockey you have injuries but for a select few you're usually back in 3-7 weeks and can pick up relatively where you left off. Baseball players always seem to be precariously on the edge of ruining or seriously hampering their careers with one awkward step or throw.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #138
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's concerning....

Notable pitching injuries this season: • Justin Verlander - forearm (IL) • Clayton Kershaw - back (IL) • Chris Sale - Tommy John (out for season) • Noah Syndergaard - TJ (out for season) • Luis Severino - TJ (out for season) • Mike Soroka - right leg injury (TBD)

Corey Kluber - shoulder tear (IL) • Stephen Strasburg - wrist (IL) • Shohei Ohtani - forearm (shutdown as pitcher) • Alex Wood - shoulder inflammation (IL) • Cole Hamels - left triceps tendinitis (45-day IL) • Marcus Stroman - calf (IL) • Roberto Osuna - elbow (IL)

Tommy Kahnle - likely TJ (out) • Chris Archer - NTO syndrome (out for season) • Miles Mikolas - forearm (out for season) • Homer Bailey - biceps (IL) • Jordan Zimmerman - forearm (45-day IL) • Ken Giles - forearm strain (IL) • Jose Quintana - thumb (IL

EDIT: Carlos Rodon left tonight’s game with left shoulder soreness. He will be re-evaluated tomorrow, the White Sox said.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #139
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Baseball is so ****ed up that way. Hockey you have injuries but for a select few you're usually back in 3-7 weeks and can pick up relatively where you left off. Baseball players always seem to be precariously on the edge of ruining or seriously hampering their careers with one awkward step or throw.
I think a lot of it is the nature of the sport. They're constantly going from basically zero to full exertion in a split second, then back to nothing. There's no slow run to sprinting like basketball, or mild skating to sprinting like in hockey. Nothing to everything. That's got to be torture on ligaments and muscles.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #140
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
100% this. Ive played ball and hockey my whole life. Now that I'm getting older, ball is wayyyy harder on my body than hockey. You're nearly always twisting or going 0-100 asap. It's the constant torquing of the joints that is just different.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post: