Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #161
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Didn't read anything about the long deceased Coconut Joe's, Fox and Firkin and the Hard Rock in Eau Claire. Some pretty happening places in the day.
I don't remember anyone ever going to the Hard Rock in Eau Claire. I had to look it up, I guess it was open 1995-2000. But it felt like it was only around a year or two
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:16 PM   #162
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Anecdotally, while Sundays are huge, those bars are a big draw anytime down there. Monday night football, thursday night football, basketball, lunchtime, dinner. They just love their big sports bars down there.
“They” don’t really. Americans love college sports and NFL though. Go into a Dave and Busters or Buffalo Wild Wings on a Tuesday for lunch and you’ll have it to yourself. College game day or March madness? Different story. If Canadians were as passionate about college football and basketball, you’d see a lot more multi screen venues.

These chains have struggled as niche eateries are growing at a much faster pace, offering better food and a less cookie cutter experience. The wildcard is legalized gambling as the chains already simulate a sports book experience with the multiple screens.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:24 AM   #163
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think Canadians just get really lame once they have kids and/or hit 35. They get this mentality that if they enjoy a few drinks with friends all of a sudden they've abandoned their duties, committed some kind of horrible moral transgression, and won't be able to take full advantage of their lives due to a mild hangover.
Or their priorities just change and their definition of ‘taking full advantage of their lives’ no longer includes drinking to hangover levels with 3 friends in a windlowless barn.

Much in the same way people in their mid 20’s stop going to the bars every weekend to party and drink until close as they once did, so too do priorities, interests, definition of enjoyment change for people in their 30’s.

It can be viewed as lame from others as you described, but that’s a typical response from someone at a different point in their life who believes their definition of a good time is the only route.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #164
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
College sports is another huge draw that is all but nonexistent in Canada.

I can definitely see why a huge sports bar is infinitely more viable in the US.
Sports in general are just bigger down there. I remember taking a flight to Florida from Calgary with a connector in Minneapolis, on a Sunday. On that Minneapolis one, the pilot on the intercom was reading off the results of all the NFL games, along with his own takes. Never experienced anything like that before, it was hilarious!

I know up here we love our hockey, but outside of that, we don't come close to the U.S. when it comes to an obsession with sports in general.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #165
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There are no "mild hangovers" at my age. They are 48 hour soul-destroying ordeals. Cannabis has become a better option.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #166
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac98 View Post
Or their priorities just change and their definition of ‘taking full advantage of their lives’ no longer includes drinking to hangover levels with 3 friends in a windlowless barn.

Much in the same way people in their mid 20’s stop going to the bars every weekend to party and drink until close as they once did, so too do priorities, interests, definition of enjoyment change for people in their 30’s.

It can be viewed as lame from others as you described, but that’s a typical response from someone at a different point in their life who believes their definition of a good time is the only route.
It's all about balance.

You can go for a few drinks once in a while, and still get full value from the rest of your life. People all over the world do it. Adult men going to a pub is common in just about every place of the world, that allows drinking, but Canada, and specifically Western Canada.

In Canada the attitude that "priorities change" and only someone at a "different point in their lives" can enjoy a moderate amount of drinks with friends is strangely pervasive.

It's simple social conservatism and puritanism in sheep's clothing. I couldn't possibly enjoy drinks with friends unless I had not taken care of other priorities or was at a point in my life where I didn't understand responsibility?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #167
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
It's all about balance.

You can go for a few drinks once in a while, and still get full value from the rest of your life. People all over the world do it. Adult men going to a pub is common in just about every place of the world, that allows drinking, but Canada, and specifically Western Canada.

In Canada the attitude that "priorities change" and only someone at a "different point in their lives" can enjoy a moderate amount of drinks with friends is strangely pervasive.

It's simple social conservatism and puritanism in sheep's clothing. I couldn't possibly enjoy drinks with friends unless I had not taken care of other priorities or was at a point in my life where I didn't understand responsibility?
I don't understand why alcohol has to be part of the equation. You can still socialize with friends without that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #168
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don't understand why alcohol has to be part of the equation. You can still socialize with friends without that.
Some people like it?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #169
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Because it's delicious?
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #170
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I don't take any issue with someone who's made a personal choice not to drink. Many people I know have substance abuse issues and should not drink, ever.

I will argue with them if they are making that choice, because they see some kind of moral high ground against those who drink, including the position that only people who haven't realized a certain level of maturity or don't understand responsibility would ever want to drink. Once again, that's just old school puritanism. This concept that you have to "grow up" at one point and totally give up responsible drinking is totally novel and baseless.

Not only has it been common for history for adults to drink, into middle age and beyond, but drinking was at one point exclusively for adults, largely middle aged. Hence, the concept of the neighbourhood pub.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #171
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Some people like it?
I'm not quite following Blankall here - is he saying going to the pub and drinking is some kind of sacred ritual (for men), and that there is no other way for friends to express themselves together?

I'm certainly not "grown up" or "puritanical".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #172
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not quite following Blankall here - is he saying going to the pub and drinking is some kind of sacred ritual (for men), and that there is no other way for friends to express themselves together?

I'm certainly not "grown up" or "puritanical".
There's no one way to spend time with friends. Having a few drinks and getting together at a pub or to watch a sporting event is one of many ways. I'm not downplaying the other ways. I'm taking issue with people stating that drinking is something only people who haven't reached a certain level of maturity would do.

Edit: We're getting way off topic here, but the attitude is clearly that if I'm an adult who enjoys a few responsible drinks, I'm taking away from some other part of my life. Like I can't also enjoy going to a concert, fishing, hiking, etc...if I also enjoy the drinks? I just don't get it, and it's not a common attitude in other parts of the world.

Last edited by blankall; 06-30-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #173
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think there's a value argument to be made here as well.

I would rather be at my home or the home of a friend playing games (video, board etc) watching a movie, sports or just hanging out drinking exactly the booze I want (I'm a hop head, a good double IPA is hard to find in a bar) and eating exactly the food I want at a fraction of the price of going out.

As we get older and our responsibilities change and so do our financial burdens. Where in our twenties, we probably rented and owned beaters. In out thirties and beyond we own nicer vehicles and maybe our own home.

It can be hard making the decision to drop $50 at the bar vs $20 at home and putting that difference toward asset maintenance and upgrades.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #174
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
I think there's a value argument to be made here as well.

I would rather be at my home or the home of a friend playing games (video, board etc) watching a movie, sports or just hanging out drinking exactly the booze I want (I'm a hop head, a good double IPA is hard to find in a bar) and eating exactly the food I want at a fraction of the price of going out.

As we get older and our responsibilities change and so do our financial burdens. Where in our twenties, we probably rented and owned beaters. In out thirties and beyond we own nicer vehicles and maybe our own home.

It can be hard making the decision to drop $50 at the bar vs $20 at home and putting that difference toward asset maintenance and upgrades.
Okay...I want to make a 'life of the party' joke at your expense here but I'm going to let it slide because...you're not wrong.

While minor differences in costs like those shouldnt really make a huge difference, I think you nailed the spirit of the argument.

I'd rather watch a movie or a hockey game with my friends and family in comfort. The cost element is important as well, we all know that going to hockey games or movies has become an abhorrently expensive proposition lately.

But I think the real element is comfort.

I can watch a hockey game on my couch, with my friends drinking what I want with food that I want and not have to worry about fighting 20,000 other people to get home.

You lose the atmosphere. Thats a sacrifice. If it was a crucial game, the playoffs, etc then thats a harder call. But Flames vs. Blue Jackets in November? Thanks. I'll stay home.

I think an element of what Schank's had to offer was a substitute for that atmosphere. You're not at the game, but you might be watching it with a few dozen other people in the same environment.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #175
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay...I want to make a 'life of the party' joke at your expense here but I'm going to let it slide because...you're not wrong.

While minor differences in costs like those shouldnt really make a huge difference, I think you nailed the spirit of the argument.

I'd rather watch a movie or a hockey game with my friends and family in comfort. The cost element is important as well, we all know that going to hockey games or movies has become an abhorrently expensive proposition lately.

But I think the real element is comfort.

I can watch a hockey game on my couch, with my friends drinking what I want with food that I want and not have to worry about fighting 20,000 other people to get home.

You lose the atmosphere. Thats a sacrifice. If it was a crucial game, the playoffs, etc then thats a harder call. But Flames vs. Blue Jackets in November? Thanks. I'll stay home.

I think an element of what Schank's had to offer was a substitute for that atmosphere. You're not at the game, but you might be watching it with a few dozen other people in the same environment.
Honestly though, it's really not a loss. The atmosphere is poor unless it's a playoff game. If there's one thing that Covid is about to prove to us, it's that attending these games is really just paying to be a part of the live studio audience.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #176
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
There's no one way to spend time with friends. Having a few drinks and getting together at a pub or to watch a sporting event is one of many ways. I'm not downplaying the other ways. I'm taking issue with people stating that drinking is something only people who haven't reached a certain level of maturity would do.

Edit: We're getting way off topic here, but the attitude is clearly that if I'm an adult who enjoys a few responsible drinks, I'm taking away from some other part of my life. Like I can't also enjoy going to a concert, fishing, hiking, etc...if I also enjoy the drinks? I just don't get it, and it's not a common attitude in other parts of the world.
I'm not old like you relics, but is this really a thing? My partner is older and our group of friends is a pretty big range, and I have literally never heard of this perception and notice really no difference between Western Canada and a few other parts of the world that you'd think would be different.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #177
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Honestly though, it's really not a loss. The atmosphere is poor unless it's a playoff game. If there's one thing that Covid is about to prove to us, it's that attending these games is really just paying to be a part of the live studio audience.
I still enjoy going to hockey games, but I guess for me there really needs to be something on the line other than 2 points.

I know, I'm like a second tier fan at best. Maybe third tier.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #178
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I still enjoy going to hockey games, but I guess for me there really needs to be something on the line other than 2 points.

I know, I'm like a second tier fan at best. Maybe third tier.
I feel the same way. In addition, more important games results in higher ticket prices increase which results in my hesitance to buy tickets. Is there a fourth tier?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #179
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It was nearly a 20 minute drive. As well, it happened to coincide with a very messy situation with an extended family member that I no longer talk to or associate with in any way. It was also their regular joint (they were in their late 40s when this all went down) and I didn’t want to risk running into them.

I stopped going around age 23, and none of us got married until our early 30s. There were just more options and places to go, but that does speak to your point that it just didn’t have that killer feature to bring us back (but again, the family member situation played a major part in discouraging my return).
Ah, well you certainly had some mitigating factors at play, but I'm glad you agree with the underlying point. Myself, I think the last time I went to Schanks, for the deliberate purpose of going to watch a game on TV at Schanks, was when I was... 24? I've been another couple times for Calgary Corporate Challenge, and that's it.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #180
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pubs are great for watching big games! They'll have the sound going full tilt, you hear the crowd chanting, people jumping out of their chairs for goals.

Best of all it wont cost you $250+ to walk in the door.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote