Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #141
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Valimaki update. Seems like he won't be playing IMO

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Treliving says his understanding is if Juuso Valimaki does not play this season, he would be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft.

Not finalized, but that’s the understanding the team is working under. Says Valimaki’s health remains the highest priority, though. #Flames

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #142
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being able to have Valimaki exempt from expansion is huge for the Flames. Considering Treliving loaded up on the blueline at the deadline they should have the depth to ensure they don’t need him even if he is healthy
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #143
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to consider this a win. Juuso lost an entire year of development.

Everyone is losing a player to Seattle but not everyone is losing a year of development for their best prospect

Last edited by Geeoff; 06-26-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #144
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

Everyone is losing a player to Seattle but not everyone is losing a year of development for their best prospect
What?

He lost a year of development to injury. It is not like the Flames held him out to protect him from expansion. This is certainly a silver lining in a bad situation that was caused by the player injuring himself training.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #145
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What?

He lost a year of development to injury. It is not like the Flames held him out to protect him from expansion. This is certainly a silver lining in a bad situation that was caused by the player injuring himself training.
Silver lining, sure. But I agree with him, it is a hollow tasting victory in that it leaves Valimaki's future trajectory very uncertain. Our last promising prospect who took a year off for injury seemingly stopped developing entirely at that point...
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #146
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Silver lining, sure. But I agree with him, it is a hollow tasting victory in that it leaves Valimaki's future trajectory very uncertain. Our last promising prospect who took a year off for injury seemingly stopped developing entirely at that point...
I also didn't expect him to make the team out of the gates. He did. And was an impact player for the most part. His open ice hit against Colorado I think was a massive momentum.swinger. honestly if he comes out.of this healthy, he will do just fine. He is such a well rounded player I find it hard to see how a year off from an injury will lessen his NHL caliber quality. Unless his knee just doesn't work the same way any longer. Thats it.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #147
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I also didn't expect him to make the team out of the gates. He did. And was an impact player for the most part. His open ice hit against Colorado I think was a massive momentum.swinger. honestly if he comes out.of this healthy, he will do just fine. He is such a well rounded player I find it hard to see how a year off from an injury will lessen his NHL caliber quality. Unless his knee just doesn't work the same way any longer. Thats it.
I agree, he was much more impressive than I expected too.

I am just concerned, development/playing at pro speed during this age range is very important. I really do think that losing a vital year of playing development is what messed up Bennett so bad.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #148
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking like Toronto and Edmonton. Of course that's today, could change tomorrow-

https://twitter.com/user/status/1278073835305172992
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #149
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shannon also hinting it might be Toronto and Edmonton after all, with Vegas purportedly dropping out today.

It's a no brainer. Right move, even if it's not what the league would prefer.

Maybe announced tomorrow? Saw rumors it might be today.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #150
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it really matter where the hub cities are? Seems like a lot of talk for something so inconsequential.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #151
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Does it really matter where the hub cities are? Seems like a lot of talk for something so inconsequential.
It doesn't.

Just that announcing them will put us a step closer to this tournament happening, so it would be nice to have it settled so that real preparations can begin to get underway.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #152
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Looking like Toronto and Edmonton. Of course that's today, could change tomorrow-

https://twitter.com/user/status/1278073835305172992

How delicious would this be;
Oilers win their play in round then lose first round, thereby disqualifying for the FOA

Stanley Cup Finals, Flames and Bruins.
Flames win the cup
In Rogers Place.

Oh my gawd the Salt....
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 09:09 PM   #153
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
How delicious would this be;
Oilers win their play in round then lose first round, thereby disqualifying for the FOA

Stanley Cup Finals, Flames and Bruins.
Flames win the cup
In Rogers Place.

Oh my gawd the Salt....
Except we would win it in Toronto as they want teams playing outside their home Arena, which would be just as nice to rub it in Leafs fans if we won in T.O.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #154
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dint think the playoffs are going to happen. The players are too fricken stupid to stay away from crowds. And more and more will get sick.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wired For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #155
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
Except we would win it in Toronto as they want teams playing outside their home Arena, which would be just as nice to rub it in Leafs fans if we won in T.O.
In this scenario Edmonton's atrocity would be the Bruins's home arena, and they would have home-ice advantage in the SC Finals.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #156
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm interested to see if any NHL players decide to opt out of the return as is now permitted and has happened in other sports. NHL players are generally more publicly reserved about playing for money instead of winning the Cup than athletes in other sports, but no doubt this will be a tough decision for some, particularly those whose families are expecting (especially their first) or those whose spouses work also. Possibly even a couple pending free agents who want to maximize future earnings without risk, though insurance provisions may cover that. No doubt the cultures are different, though.

Imagine if a high-profile pending UFA in the NHL opts out? Or a first line/pairing skater opts out for child birth or health concerns? The hot takes will be insane.

NBA
Trevor Ariza, starting G/F for the Portland Trail Blazers
Opting out due to custody battle for his son involving a one-month visitation window that would overlap the restart. The 'Blazers are fighting for a playoffs spot.

Avery Bradley, starting G for the Los Angeles Lakers
Opting out due to one of his sons having respiratory issues.
The Lakers have clinched a playoffs birth, sitting in first place in the conference and second in the league at the pause.
As committed to my Lakers teammates and the organization as I am, I ultimately play basketball for my family, and so, at a time like this, I can't imagine making any decision that might put my family's health and well-being at even the slightest risk.

Davis Bertans, utility F, Washington Wizards
Opting out due to injury mitigation. As a pending UFA, coming off a career-best season and with two previous significant knee injuries, Bertans doesn't want to risk an injury jeopardizing what will be the largest contract of his career.
The Washington Wizards are fighting for a playoffs shot.

Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Dallas Mavericks
Opting out as him and his wife are expecting the birth of their first child during the restart period.
The Mavericks are in a playoffs spot, but have not clinched.

Wilson Chandler, utility F, Brooklyn Nets
Opting out due to being a pending UFA and for family health concerns.
The Nets are in a playoffs spot but have not clinched.
As difficult as it will be to not be with my teammates, the health and well-being of my family has to come first. Thank you to the Nets organization for understanding and supporting me in this decision, and I will be watching and rooting for our team in Orlando.

Thabo Sefolosha, depth F, Houston Rockets
Opting out due to health concerns as a pending UFA.
The Rockets have clinched a playoffs birth.

In addition, DeAndre Jordan, of the Brooklyn Nets, will not participate due to testing positive for COVID-19.

MLB
I don't follow baseball but a few players have opted out of their season so far as well: Mike leake, Joe Ross, Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:47 AM   #157
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

Is everyone forgetting our #4 pick losing a year of development? Yeah Sam played well in the playoffs that year and had a good rookie season but his 4 goal game was basically his plateau outside 4 games against Colorado last year.

The year matters.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #158
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per the Athletic, Blues canceled practice due to multiple positive COVID 19 tests

https://theathletic.com/1908888/2020...ositive-tests/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #159
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to be weird following sports like this. I mean, how many games will players miss because of "covid-like symptoms" or because they actually have covid? Just imagine game 7 of a series and 3 or 4 of your best players have to sit it out because they caught covid....
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #160
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Story says the Blues practice facility was used by the general public the day before they used it.

Great job cleaning.
Also, why would the Blues schedule this or allow this?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote