Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #961
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I have no problem with the format, I just don't want to watch hockey period in June and July. I also think the ratings will be lower than expected. I'm thinking most people will want to get outside and hopefully enjoy some nice weather or grab a bite to eat and socialize with people, not watch a screen. There will also be so much going on with many other leagues resuming and entertainment facilities opening back up. Personally I'm over this season, don't feel like reinvesting back into it. Start fresh in October.
Ever been to a park on a beautiful summer day and notice half the people there looking at a screen of some sort, ie their phone or a tablet etc.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #962
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
I propose freezing the standings via points% and having a 16 team playoffs with 2-3 warmup “pre season”games. Maintains league integrity and doesn’t completely invalidate the regular season up until this point.

Unbalanced schedule and several teams are essentially tied. 0.645 is not actually > 0.644 in this case, it is a simple function of different games played. No integrity.

Trimming games already played to “equalize” things does not equal integrity, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #963
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'm surprised when people say the eventual Cup Winner will effectively have an asterisk by their name.

IMO, whoever wins will be more legitimate than the 2013 Blackhawks or 1995 Devils who only played a 48 game regular season due to the lockouts. I don't consider them to have an asterisk beside their names in history, but I think if anything there's more of a case to be made than this year.

If the duration of the 16 team playoffs were reduced to a best of 5, or introduced a shootout, or something else along those lines then I'd agree. But given that the regular season was 11-14 games away from being completed before the pause, some form of play-in system is required before the actual playoffs start.

I'm not crazy about the proposed bracket system, but we'll see what actually gets agreed upon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #964
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Unbalanced schedule and several teams are essentially tied. 0.645 is not actually > 0.644 in this case, it is a simple function of different games played. No integrity.

Trimming games already played to “equalize” things does not equal integrity, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then the next logical step is tiebreakers, regulation wins or goal differential. I agree this way isn’t 100% honourable either but it has more integrity than a 24 team playoff.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #965
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That’s fair but my point was that 12th place Chicago has an easier opponent than the 7th place Flames who deserve a playoff spot. Winnipeg has a superior team on paper and with this new format quite a few teams get shafted on top of the inevitable asterisk next to the winners name.
On paper is not a thing.
Standings is all that matters.
Flames are 8th based on points percentage. One more win and they wouldn't have this problem.

Personally, I love this. There has been 16 playoff teams since the 80s when there was 21 teams in the league. There's about to be 32 teams when Seattle joins. 24 makes a way more interesting tournament.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #966
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure go for it. The pubs are open here so just need some hockey to watch. I also understand the huge financial implications for the league needing their yearly TV money paid out, especially with a 20/21 season including attendance still in doubt.

It would be nice if they could finish or at least complete some of the regular season so playoff seeding wouldn't rely on teams playing uneven and unbalanced games and there would be a warm up before the playoffs. I get why this is unpractical though and a play in series is a good compromise. Yeah a team like the Habs or Hawks now have a better chance at the Cup however there was always an opportunity for either one to end the season on an winning streak and do the same. My big concern would be teams unprepared for the early games creating some surprises, blow outs, and just bad hockey. Would be interesting anyways.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #967
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully Jon Gillies is ready to rock!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #968
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t get some of the thinking here. The NHL is a huge business having to adapt like all businesses in unprecedented times. Why should they just cancel? Because some (largely non-paying) fans might not want to watch in July?

Should my company, which is also suffering big time and has had to implement several changes just cease operations because some customers may be inconvenienced?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #969
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^there is no “paying fans” now. I am an STH though so I am normally a “paying fan”. I think the whole plan is nuts, it really makes things worse and will devalue season tickets significantly. A 24 team playoffs will render the regular season meaningless for the foreseeable future.

I never considered cancelling until now. Not once.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-22-2020 at 07:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #970
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^^there is no “paying fans” now. I am an STH though so I am normally a “paying fan”. I think the whole plan is nuts, it really makes things worse an will devalue season tickets significantly. A 24 team playoffs will render the next few seasons meaningless.

Yeah I feel bad for people who paid to see the regular season and got invested only to have it be meaningless at the end of the day. That’s why I believe the NHL will lose fans in the long run with this short-term mentality, I know a lot of fans in Europe view this as Mickey Mouse move by the league as well.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #971
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1264010316029014020
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #972
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I feel bad for people who paid to see the regular season and got invested only to have it be meaningless at the end of the day. That’s why I believe the NHL will lose fans in the long run with this short-term mentality, I know a lot of fans in Europe view this as Mickey Mouse move by the league as well.
Its not meaningless. They are returning to play and awarding the Stanley Cup. Meaningless would be if they cancelled it all outright. It sucks if people are not re-imbursed of games that didn't happen but it also sucks that the unemployment rate is over ten percent everywhere. People who can afford season tickets will survive

Last edited by colbym72; 05-22-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #973
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^there is no “paying fans” now. I am an STH though so I am normally a “paying fan”. I think the whole plan is nuts, it really makes things worse and will devalue season tickets significantly. A 24 team playoffs will render the regular season meaningless for the foreseeable future.

I’m a long time STH as well but could not disagree more. I respect your view.

I am definitely renewing. My entertainment dollars are largely dedicated to NHL hockey. I love playing and watching and can’t wait until they get going.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #974
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that the format is not ideal. It’s not terrific for the Flames. I understand why Pittsburgh voted against the proposal.

But they had to consider several factors that led to this compromise. Can’t wait to see the schedule.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #975
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pittsburgh had every right to vote against this, I hope more players speak out against this mockery, imagine being a top team on pace for 102 points and saddled with this bs.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #976
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pittsburgh had every right to vote against this, I hope more players speak out against this mockery, imagine being a top team on pace for 102 points and saddled with this bs.
What changes if you are a top team? You are going to be in a *gasp* 16 team playoff by the time you play meaningful games
Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #977
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m willing to bet you will watch almost every game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #978
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

The vote was passed 29-2. Looks like they are okay with the "INTEGRITY"
Old 05-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #979
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We get it you don’t like it.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #980
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

MLB survived 1994.

The NHL survived sending 16 of 21 teams to the post season.

None of these things happened because of a global catastrophe. Your season tickets aren’t being devalued by a single penny.

If you don’t like it, don’t watch. Lots of other things to do. When the pandemic is over and things are back to normal, I can’t begin to understand how your customer experience will be any worse because of this. I guess you’ll be worried about what they do the next time this happens? So if you knew they would cancel the season next time, that makes you more willing to pay for season tickets?

The fact that you’re on here arguing so hard about this leads me to believe you might just remain a fan through all this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread