Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #1001
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

‘Community’ Cast — Including Donald Glover — to Reunite for Virtual Table Read (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/com...B3iVqtckZTXCCQ

Quote:
“Community” ran for six seasons (five on NBC, one on Yahoo Screen) and 110 episodes between 2009 and 2015. Since then, fans have wondered whether a movie — fulfilling Abed’s (Pudi) “six seasons and a movie” prophecy — might happen. With “Community” receiving new attention via its Netflix streaming deal, McHale recently told Variety that he’s more optimistic than ever that it will happen.

“There’s way more rumblings than there used to be,” he said last month. “I think with the renewed interest, and I know the cast is interested, that it could happen.”

Watch the 'Community' Cast's Virtual Reunion Where Donald Glover Finds Out He's Not Part of the Group Chat

https://www.etonline.com/watch-the-c...VpFoS6TBaFlHXU

Last edited by troutman; 05-11-2020 at 10:00 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #1002
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well that season finale of the Rookie was somewhat intense.

Great show.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #1003
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well that season finale of the Rookie was somewhat intense.

Great show.

The Rookie is an awesome show. I get the complaints that it's very unlikely to have big things happen to the same people, but it would pretty dull otherwise.

I've always loved Nathan Fillion, but I'm most impressed with Melissa O'Neil. First saw her in Dark Matter, where she was the tough no-nonsense uber-capable leader. In the Rookie, she''s very insecure and unsure, much better acting than I would expect from someone from Canadian Idol.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #1004
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought a new iphone last fall and it came with a year free of Appole+. Hadn't watched anything on it so thought I better give it a try before the year runs out.

The Morning Show - big name cast, Aniston, Witherspoon, Carrell but Billy Crudup absolutely is best reason to watch. This is a show that not as good as important as it thinks it is, but the acting and production values are great. It was easy to watch and I like shows with corporate/office intrigue but generally pretty average. I read that it cost $15 million/episode with Aniston and Witherspoon each getting $2 million per plus some back end. And they are doing another season. IMO Apple not getting their money's worth.

The Servant - four episodes in and it is slow moving as hell. Thankfully the episodes are only 30 minutes each but I could describe what has happened thus far in 5 seconds.

Defending Jacob - might give this a watch as I enjoyed the book several years ago
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #1005
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Harley Quinn cartoon continues to not only make me laugh but surprises the hell out of me every episode. Last nights episode and the last 2 minutes was a prime example of it, and I managed to laugh while feeling bad for Kiteman at the same time.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #1006
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I had no expectations for Harley Quinn and wasn't really planning on watching it until it got so many great reviews before it premiered, but I've been loving it.

Also, how can you not love a show that started one of its episodes like this (NSFW language)...

Old 05-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #1007
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah HQ is a pleasant surprise.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #1008
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Devils.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7939218/

You might have to 'look' for it, but its really good.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #1009
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, I had no expectations for Harley Quinn and wasn't really planning on watching it until it got so many great reviews before it premiered, but I've been loving it.

Also, how can you not love a show that started one of its episodes like this (NSFW language)...

That was a great episode even without Harley and Ivy in it. I mean Batman is completely hilarious in that season. Bane was brilliant last night.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #1010
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The Morning Show - big name cast, Aniston, Witherspoon, Carrell but Billy Crudup absolutely is best reason to watch. This is a show that not as good as important as it thinks it is, but the acting and production values are great. It was easy to watch and I like shows with corporate/office intrigue but generally pretty average. I read that it cost $15 million/episode with Aniston and Witherspoon each getting $2 million per plus some back end. And they are doing another season. IMO Apple not getting their money's worth.
I just began watching the show, I'm at the start of the third episode and you are right about Crudup, he's fantastic. I also really like Mark Duplass, the man can literally play any character and IMO is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #1011
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I would give True Detective season 2 a chance. It’s not totally bad per se, but it almost seems like a rip off of season 2 of The Wire. Kind of a convoluted story with too many things going on.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #1012
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's only awful in comparison to the high bar set by season 1, and re-established (almost) by season 3.
On its own it is...well...still pretty mediocre.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #1013
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A new version of an old episode of an old series (hey, it's Lando and Mando)...

This does not count as the movie.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #1014
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably should go in the GMG thread, but the season finale cliffhanger has to go. I get why they started, with TNG and the Borg and all that, but there are so many channels and shows you can watch now that imo they're not really effective in hooking the viewer and keeping them interested. Viewers will keep watching if they actually like the show, or if they've spent a lot of time watching it and want to see it through (like the Walking Dead, for example).

Cliffhanger season finales are a cheap way to try to manipulate the video that has lost all meaning. And I don't mean teasers, for the next season. Teasers are fine. But all your plot points in Season 1 should be wrapped up by the end of Season 1, or at least wrapped up enough until you decide to maybe revisit them.

Nothing worse than a tv show ends on cliffhanger and you never find out, like the Glades.

Also, for the most part, cliffhangers are mostly no longer effective because casting decisions and whether someone leaves a show is no longer not known. Ruby Rose is leaving the Batgirl show, and everyone already knows. This isn't the 90s. Information is everywhere. We already known, mostly, that the "hero" is going to survive, or not be in jail for long, or whatever. (of course there are shows that don't follow the formula and keep things udner wrap). Don't waste your time with nonsense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 09:05 PM   #1015
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Probably should go in the GMG thread, but the season finale cliffhanger has to go. I get why they started, with TNG and the Borg and all that, but there are so many channels and shows you can watch now that imo they're not really effective in hooking the viewer and keeping them interested.
They didn't start with Star Trek. Probably the biggest cliffhanger ever was Dallas in 1980 with "Who shot J.R.?". There were magazine covers and T-shirts, international bookmakers took bets on who did it. It lead to an episode the following season with over 80 million viewers waiting to find out, rumour is that even the Queen and US President tuned in.

That was actually an example of a cliffhanger done really well but you're right that most of them suck. I'd rather they wrap up loose ends so that if the series does get cancelled, which happens a lot these days, at least there is some closure.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #1016
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I started The Morning Show and I am loving it. As Strange Brew mentioned Billy Crudup is fantastic, the man shines in every scene he's in. I also mentioned Mark Duplass before and I am loving him in this as well, his character seems to be getting better and better with each episode. I'm not a Steve Carell fan for the most part, but I think he does very well in this serious role. But after Crudup, the stars for me are Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Hannah), Bel Powley (Claire) and Karen Pittman (Mia). While Witherspoon and Aniston are the lead roles, the six mentioned in this post are who makes the show fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #1017
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched the first season of Sneaky Pete on Prime, about a con man who gets out of jail and assumes his cellmate's identity. Giovanni Ribisi and Bryan Cranston, who I think helped create it.

Solid season despite a lot of implausibility.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #1018
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Just watched the first season of Sneaky Pete on Prime, about a con man who gets out of jail and assumes his cellmate's identity. Giovanni Ribisi and Bryan Cranston, who I think helped create it.

Solid season despite a lot of implausibility.
I enjoyed season 1, still need to watch the rest
Old 05-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #1019
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It's only awful in comparison to the high bar set by season 1, and re-established (almost) by season 3.
On its own it is...well...still pretty mediocre.

I finished it and it was not good. I would say that Vince Vaughn actually stood out. I used to think the only character he could pull off was only his “Dodgeball” character, but he was really good here.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #1020
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have been on a good run of binge watching shows we have never got around to watching like Ozark, Killing Eve, and Barry but I feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of shows available as I have no idea what show to start next.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote